Hardware DIY Panda Dev Unit (Converted Retail Console)

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
So, I was looking through rare Nintendo consoles and it occurred to me that it would be really cool to have a "Panda" development unit 3DS as part of the collection since they're super-rare and unique. But then, I realised that such an item would be wasted if kept in a collection to gather dust when homebrew developers could use it to analyse the 3DS system. (translation: couldn't afford one)

However instead of getting an actual dev unit, I thought I'd make a replica by doing a case-mod of an existing retail unit. After picking up a half-dead 3DS from a secondhand electronics store, I got to work.

bB80rLv.jpg
Here are the starting materials and tools: one newly-adopted cosmos black O3DS, some nail polish, adhesive, and a screwdriver set.

atxh8YD.jpg
It looks like the store didn't reset the device, the previous owner's data is still intact. It couldn't hurt to poke around a little, right? Seems like they made a large number of empty folders for some reason. This was only one half of the icons they made. Weird.

Cism3de.jpg
There were a bunch of Miis stored, but unfortunately StreetPass Plaza data couldn't be found because it didn't have an SD card.

ZxC48NN.jpg
And here's the camera roll- Oh God, is that what I think it is? Yep, the previous owner took a picture of someone bending over with their butt in the air. Abort! Abort! No more snooping!

NclHGNy.jpg
The 3DS itself is in fairly poor condition and aside from the dirty pictures stored in the memory, the housing was filthy too, with several deep dents and scratches. I had to sterilise the whole exterior with medical disinfectant while brushing out the dirt from all of the crevices. This took a ton of time.

1GHZ1bm.jpg
The back was in better condition, except for the serial number sticker which looked like someone had attempted to chew it off. Since the numbers were illegible, I removed the serial sticker completely. Let's start disassembling this console.

mt3d92Y.jpg
We'll only be modifying the bottom half of the casing, so most of the fiddly electronics can be put aside for now.

x6J28D8.jpg
Two coats of red nail polish later, the coloured trim of the DIY Panda unit is done. The polish had a rose scent, which smelled nice for the first minute or so, then it started to make me nauseous and hear weird voices. Eep. The colouring might look uneven at the moment, but it flattens out when drying.

WVvViFm.jpg
Panda units don't have writing printed on the bottom covers, instead they are completely black (as opposed to the shiny grey on the cosmos black retail 3DSes). Again, this coating seemed very bumpy at the time but evened out a lot over the drying time.

EF9HrX5.jpg
Here's the unit put back together. I also painted the 3D slider to match the red trim. The battery cover still needed some cleaning up.

msVur5D.jpg
Designing the back label...

xOpJLFg.jpg
...and here it is stuck to the back of the 3DS.

TP7Eo0r.jpg
It came with firmware 8.1, which was handy for setting up a CFW. Unfortunately it had a dying L trigger button and a faulty SD card reader that would always detect cards as being write-protected and failing to read any data off them. I had to once again open up the console and then manually bend the write-protect pin in the SD reader so that it would properly detect SD cards. The store had sold it as "fully functional", the liars! :angry:

nGTWy5X.jpg
A couple of hours later, and here's the DIY dev unit. From the exterior, it looks almost the same as an actual panda unit, and it runs the SDK tools too. While it's not a real developer console, it's still a nice little addition to the collection. :D

Last edited by NekoMichi,

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but how exactly did you manage to install dev FW on a retail unit?

Most likely Luma 3DS with the "UNITINFO" toggle on (which makes the console believe it's a dev unit) coupled with the dev SDK apps installed.

Failing that, there's an SDK version which allows you to install the SDK apps on stock, non-Dev spoofed CFW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...