Hacking DIY GBC or GBA Flashable modded cart?? For JAP to ENG converted roms?

dtp30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

I know the DS on the DSTWO cart has a great game boy advance emulator. There is alos Lame Boy for GBC aswell.

I'm looking to build a flashable GBC or GBA cart so i can take the roms from Japan that have been "patched" to english.. Burn them back into a DIY flash cart... and play them like "proper made" cart that should have been released in english edition.

Anyone tryed this??

Thanks,

D.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Such a thing would usually fall under the "repro" banner. Repros themselves, ones where people bundle hacked games onto carts and sell them like that is not quite illegal on so many levels, we do not like around here. If you just want a flash cart to play things on real hardware then that is what we do around here.

WarioWaffles took the GBC stuff, the reinerziegler.de's GBA section has a bit more on the GBA stuff. http://www.brolinembedded.se/projects/flashcart/ being one of the bigger things linked to.
For GBA purposes some people also took GBA expansion packs, like the GBA sized EZ 3 in 1, and flashed a game to it. The more advanced repro people would then remove the NOR write enable pins, or the traces leading to them I guess, to make it more permanent.

dtp30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wanting to play games that were only relesed in JAPAN, There has been a IPS Eng patch applyed to them. Then i want to load that into a cart and keep it that way.

Game boy was 2 (JAP) and game boy wars 3 (JAP) are the main two.. I haven't been able to find an engilish patch for Game Boy Wars 1.

Thanks for all the great ideas.. I will look into all of them :-) You guys always rock!!!

I think the issue i will get to is with a header OR a checksum.. as the english patchs would change the original file.

If i want to play english GBA games. Just use them with my DS Lite :-)

Thanks D.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There should be a translation for game boy wars turbo (a kind of enhanced remake of the first, and those that have compared the versions say probably best to go with that) http://www.romhacking.net/translations/24/

Headers often cause issues with flash carts, usually it amounts to finding the appropriate tool for the console you are dealing with (not sure what the suggested one is for the GB/GBC, for similar things see stuff like NSRT for the SNES, GBATA for the GBA, NDSTS for the DS and possibly ucon64 for the N64) and pressing fix in that.

dtp30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow.. I wonder how i missed the GW Turbo... Well now i have all three :-) Thanks :-)

Been searching the net.. Seams quite a few people have made writable carts. So i have a place to start..

Thanks again, D.

dtp30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now all i need to find is
  • Famicom Wars (J) [o2].nes - GOODNES 3.14
For the ENGLISH patch for Famicom Wars 1.. And a translation file for Super Famicom wars!! Is it very had to do your own IPS file for a conversion??
Thanks, D

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/911/ for Famicom Wars.

Making an IPS patch when you have the original file and the modded file is trivial. If I have to use IPS (it is a poor format for newer consoles and kind of in general) then I usually go with http://home.arcor.de/minako.aino/ipsXP/ though there are other options.

If you mean hacking the game in the first place then it can be hard, it varies on a game by game basis.

dtp30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tryed to patch "Famicom Wars"... But i must have the wrong version of the rom file.. as the game after patching doesn't work properly... All the grafics on the screen are screwed up..

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am in a bit of a rush so I can not go long, still have a look for NES headers. It is frequently a source of annoyance when it comes to hacking NES games (and a reason why IPS has fallen out of favour a bit there, despite it doing most other things for the NES).

The general idea is NES games by themselves did not contain all the info about them (seen as they have the chips that is not so bad), to help with this people making NES flash carts and early emulators added extra data to the ROM (at the start, funnily enough allowing it to be called a header). If you think hacking consoles today can be fiddly the imagine what it was like in the 90's -- a variety of different methods for headers appeared, some of which even stuck around. Some download sites/groups have since removed headers, changed header formats and more for existing ROMs so it is generally a mess. To this end it is why NES hacks will tend to give a CRC of the ROM it expects and/or use terms like "unheadered".

dtp30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this is an interesting development... So far i have found ENG patches for all the "wars" serires.. Execpt SUPER Famicom Wars for the SNES.

BUT "Famicom wars" for NES is still having issues. I think the emulator doesn't work with it right... Doesn't matter if i load a eng patched or un patched JAP file.. The grafics are ALWAYS screwed up.
I'm using "nesDS" on my DS to play them.... Anyone use a diffrent emulator??

IF i get time.. i really want to have a crack at doing an english patch for SNES Super Famicom Wars. I have done alot of hex code stuff and tables from PC and Car ECU work... So i think i might atleast be able to start one... I have found info saying a translation was started... BUT never finished. Be handy to find that file..

Thanks,

D

dtp30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a SNES PC emulater that has an option to step through the code as its running? What about a NES one aswell??

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The NES probably has the best debugging emulator of any device that is not a PC by way of FCEUX
http://www.fceux.com/web/home.html

SNES debuggers are also good, what one gets used varies with the guide you are following, community you are looking at and work you might be trying to replicate.
gieger's SNES9x debugger is the old staple but various versions of bsnes (nowadays higan) had some stuff and no$sns ( http://problemkaputt.de/sns.htm ) also has a good setup -- the no$sns author also does no$gba which several would place up there with fceux in the debugging stakes, this follows in that path).

If you can wrap your head around the madness that is CAN, ODB and modern car electronics you can probably get on with ROM hacking well enough.

As for NESDS generally the emulators seen on anything that is not a PC are unlikely to be as good. Start with the PC and then drop down to consoles.

dtp30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks heaps for your help... I saw a SNES PC emulator on a video were the person was running the emulator and had a debug screen were he was stepping through the code line by line in the rom.

But do you think i can find the video again???

I'm hoping tis one of the programs above :-)

Thanks heaps!!! D.

dtp30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i have started the translation on Super Famicom wars....

With car ecus i have worked with.. There is a heap of tables in the roms. The roms specify a X and Y axsis And the start of the table data. I was thinking that might be a simular way with the snes romz... The funny thing is rom data starts at 8000 hex.. Which is the same address the car ecus rom starts aswell. I was thinking of starting another thread to contact anyone who has started or done a translation....

D.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ZQhiwti-pK0?si=LTqU_S8Xm2fYnlQg