Hardware [Discussion] What's your feelings on selling a modded 3ds?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion, user land homebrew is okay.

I don't really like the "5 games of your choice!" Gimmick because that's pìräçy, same with bundling title grabbers like free shop. There isn't a difference.

A9lh is ok as long as no pìräçy related tools are preloaded.

I am looking at this through a legal spectrum.

If you view A9LH as ok to be sold on a modded 3DS, then what difference is it? The buyer will just as easily be able to put games on the system if they want and/or get the likes of freeshop. So either the buyer pays a little to you for the extra convenience of getting whatever games they wanted not he device without having to find and install the games themselves, otherwise they just in theory pay a little less for a modded system without any of those titles, but then they themselves can go get those titles as well if they want.

PK101

Cuttin' shit up in dis thread.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you view A9LH as ok to be sold on a modded 3DS, then what difference is it? The buyer will just as easily be able to put games on the system if they want and/or get the likes of freeshop. So either the buyer pays a little to you for the extra convenience of getting whatever games they wanted not he device without having to find and install the games themselves, otherwise they just in theory pay a little less for a modded system without any of those titles, but then they themselves can go get those titles as well if they want.
I would not be committing any illegal actions, its all up to them.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue though is that people who do that usually jack up the price and rarely give you the option to just get the ds without the games. Usually to just make a stupidly large profit...

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would not be committing any illegal actions, its all up to them.

Well the way you put it int he first post is that the seller asks what the top 5 games you want preinstalled to be. If you're finding sellers like that, then just tell them you don't want any preinstalled games, problem solved. Like it or not, A9LH is not something Nintendo wants you doing regardless if you put actual games on it or only use it for home-brew, so in that respect, no matter how you look at it, you're not abiding by what Nintendo wishes and the seller is doing something wrong regardless, which if the buyer is aware of this, they are also knowingly doing something wrong with or without games installed like that. I know for some people it becomes a game of how to justify one thing and not the other, but ultimately you just gotta let go of that kind of reasoning as it makes no difference to the legality of a modded 3DS being sold.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the way you put it int he first post is that the seller asks what the top 5 games you want preinstalled to be. If you're finding sellers like that, then just tell them you don't want any preinstalled games, problem solved. Like it or not, A9LH is not something Nintendo wants you doing regardless if you put actual games on it or only use it for home-brew, so in that respect, no matter how you look at it, you're not abiding by what Nintendo wishes and the seller is doing something wrong regardless, which if the buyer is aware of this, they are also knowingly doing something wrong with or without games installed like that. I know for some people it becomes a game of how to justify one thing and not the other, but ultimately you just gotta let go of that kind of reasoning as it makes no difference to the legality of a modded 3DS being sold.
There is a difference between providing a modification service and providing copyrighted software illegally. You "own" the console, and can do what you want at the cost of support from Nintendo as long as it is still within legal bindings (i.e. installing cfw on a console). Offering to install 5 free games is breaking this legal binding by offering to install copyrighted software that was most likely not obtained legally.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm still confused and surprised that people say it's an "effort" to install A9LH. If a step by step guide with instructions clear as day, with the only time consuming thing is WAITING for NAND backups is an effort, then I wonder what is not an effort these days. Is it an effort to complete a quest in a game too?

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still confused and surprised that people say it's an "effort" to install A9LH. If a step by step guide with instructions clear as day, with the only time consuming thing is WAITING for NAND backups is an effort, then I wonder what is not an effort these days. Is it an effort to complete a quest in a game too?
The charging for it IMO comes from you usually needing to use a secondary entrypoint to downgrade with. Also, clear instructions =/= someone not being afraid to do it themselves. The best example of this that I could come up with is a computer repair shop. Lets say you have some virus and for whatever reason are unable to remove it. They may charge you $40 to remove the virus and all they may do is just plug the hard drive into another PC and corrupt the files that the virus uses. If you had the ability to do that (you can probably find it on google) then you wouldn't have had to take it in and pay the $40 for them to remove some virus.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
The charging for it IMO comes from you usually needing to use a secondary entrypoint to downgrade with. Also, clear instructions =/= someone not being afraid to do it themselves. The best example of this that I could come up with is a computer repair shop. Lets say you have some virus and for whatever reason are unable to remove it. They may charge you $40 to remove the virus and all they may do is just plug the hard drive into another PC and corrupt the files that the virus uses. If you had the ability to do that (you can probably find it on google) then you wouldn't have had to take it in and pay the $40 for them to remove some virus.
Agreed. Wasn't necessarily talking about the pricing but just how many people here saying that doing A9LH is an effort (including people who do it themselves) surprises me.

cbxero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are step-by-step instructions. There are file compilations. There are pictures of what your SD card should look like.

And yet, this forum (and many others) is filled with people wanting help doing these mods.

It's worth an extra few bucks to those who are completely incapable of doing it themselves. That's not a knock on anyone, there are lots of people who can't use email or set up a printer either.

I have no problem asking for $20 for the time spent setting up those mods.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
The effort part is not being an idiot and bricking. Plus, setting up A9LH from scratch does take a few hours.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Get the best deal of a 3ds money can buy
  2. DO THE HAX MYSELF
  3. Save lots of money.
  4. KEEP IT, PLAY IT, HAVE FUN
  5. Done.
Really, if i buy a modded console is only for hardware mods like some special chip for xbox to play back up games, any software mods, i will do myself with a guide.

Or you can just buy a dreamcast, it so easy to access homebrew on it. Simply burn a disc image of a homebrew and play it on the system. BEST HOMEBREW CONSOLE. THANKS SEGA.:rofl2:

Reactions: Shadowfied

Pokéidiot

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I was checking around for hacked 3DSes out there in my state, and trust me: they charge ridiculously high ammounts with pirated games included.
They charge lots'a money for some lots of pirated 3DS games and lot's a money for the hack itself. One unit like that costs 1600BRL, while a retail one 1100 or less.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is why you shouldn't buy that kind of thing if you can do it yourself, Hardware mods are not my specialty, even with instructions, if a instruction guide for a software mod is avaible, you should handle it yourself. paying over retail market price for a console that has been "ENHANCED" is ridiculous. But then again, everyone is different, so depends on individual.

I don't like people cheating me out of things but i accept fair payment of things. Fair payment is not overcharging products for more than MSP especially if is not complete in box, been opened with your fingerprints all over it and not aware of the previous damages it could have recived during the time of use. So just be careful when buying modified products :)

SHOP SAFE.

yacepi15

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

I don't really like the "5 games of your choice!" Gimmick because that's pìräçy, same with bundling title grabbers like free shop. There isn't a difference.

I didnt sell any modded 3DS, but if i sell one, i will only see the money in my hands.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well, considering a new 3DS XL at retail costs $276 (taxes), and I charge $300 for A9LH 3DSes, it's still a good deal. (I buy used in good condition with retail boxes for cheap.) Plus I always put the modified software on a 64 gb microSD as well.

KingOfTaurus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I sell the system as having been "hard modded" because that's what I do to them. If they ask what that means, I tell them to Google it. When they get the system and actually start using it, they will see that something has been "accidentally" left on it. (oops I forgot to delete my games, can you delete those for me? )

That is why you shouldn't buy that kind of thing if you can do it yourself, Hardware mods are not my specialty, even with instructions, if a instruction guide for a software mod is avaible, you should handle it yourself. paying over retail market price for a console that has been "ENHANCED" is ridiculous. But then again, everyone is different, so depends on individual.

I don't like people cheating me out of things but i accept fair payment of things. Fair payment is not overcharging products for more than MSP especially if is not complete in box, been opened with your fingerprints all over it and not aware of the previous damages it could have recived during the time of use. So just be careful when buying modified products :)

SHOP SAFE.

I provide a warranty for my 3ds's, and ensure they are virtually in new condition. No scratches, no fingerprints, upgraded with 32gb sd card and a game or two included. I also include a charger, headphones and screen cleaning cloth, along with screen protectors.

I sell above retail, because it makes sense.

29 for an SD
5 for headphones
5 for screen protectors and cleaning cloth
5 for charger
30 bucks for my time to Hardmod it and provide you with Backups.

Sometimes I include the SD reader and cable for an additional 20.

I'm not losing money by modding. If there's something there that even a new 3ds doesn't come with, you're paying for it.

Last edited by KingOfTaurus, , Reason: Spelling...

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sell the system as having been "hard modded" because that's what I do to them. If they ask what that means, I tell them to Google it. When they get the system and actually start using it, they will see that something has been "accidentally" left on it. (oops I forgot to delete my games, can you delete those for me? )

I provide a warranty for my 3ds's, and ensure they are virtually in new condition. No scratches, no fingerprints, upgraded with 32gb sd card and a game or two included. I also include a charger, headphones and screen cleaning cloth, along with screen protectors.

I sell above retail, because it makes sense.

29 for an SD
5 for headphones
5 for screen protectors and cleaning cloth
5 for charger
30 bucks for my time to Hardmod it and provide you with Backups.

Sometimes I include the SD reader and cable for an additional 20.

I'm not losing money by modding. If there's something there that even a new 3ds doesn't come with, you're paying for it.
Thank you for your comment. :mellow:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLdXfFsgvkE