RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just curious why was vram boost removed? I use this with my r4 card from r4ids.cn to boost the performance of the handful of games that don't work to well such as 007 goldeneye (which btw it boosts the performance greatly just increasing the processor speed) so was just curious why that option was removed
VRAM boost didn't really improve performance, and also breaks some games.
Fighting Fantasy: warlock of Firetop Mountain red screens on the top screen.
Dungeon Explorer works (kinda).
The game itself says "Unable to read data. turn power off and reinsert game card" though the rom is in the sd card.
Make sure Mario Kart DS is set as donor ROM.

CLY35612

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the compatibility list, Lost in Blue is marked as green, but it's actually laggy and sometimes it completelly freezes. I'm using old3DS

I know this is an old post I'm quoting, but I should note that I'm having the same issues, with the same game, on a New 2DS LL. Lags and stuttering, and sometimes freezing on Release 0.6.0 Rev.2 (also sometimes a minor visual defect where the bottom of the screens seems to repeat, like the very last few rows of pixels will be a repeat of the rows immediately above it), changing to unofficial 05233b0 almost completely fixes the lags and stuttering (and visual defect) but freezing still happens.

Freezing happens mostly when transitioning scenes- the screen will fade to black when transitioning to another scene, then sometimes not actually fade in to the next scene. This is accompanied by a very short bit of the sound that was playing at the time repeating itself over and over until I use the home button to exit.

On a more positive note, a lot of the games I downloaded work great (various titles in the Japanese "Simple DS" series). How would I add those to the compatibility list?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is an old post I'm quoting, but I should note that I'm having the same issues, with the same game, on a New 2DS LL. Lags and stuttering, and sometimes freezing on Release 0.6.0 Rev.2 (also sometimes a minor visual defect where the bottom of the screens seems to repeat, like the very last few rows of pixels will be a repeat of the rows immediately above it), changing to unofficial 05233b0 almost completely fixes the lags and stuttering (and visual defect) but freezing still happens.

Freezing happens mostly when transitioning scenes- the screen will fade to black when transitioning to another scene, then sometimes not actually fade in to the next scene. This is accompanied by a very short bit of the sound that was playing at the time repeating itself over and over until I use the home button to exit.
The "visual defect" is a TWL_FIRM issue, and also happens outside of CFW users.
I don't think it happens when playing in the DS' native resolution.
On a more positive note, a lot of the games I downloaded work great (various titles in the Japanese "Simple DS" series). How would I add those to the compatibility list?
You request access to it.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'm planning to try a certain game that's not in the games list at all, so I don't know if it will work or not. Do games not on the list simply not work or it's that they haven't been tested? The game in question is Death Jr. and I'll need to delete stuff from my SD card to fit it in, so it would be nice to know if it will work or not ahead of time or if it needs a donor ROM, etc..

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm planning to try a certain game that's not in the games list at all, so I don't know if it will work or not. Do games not on the list simply not work or it's that they haven't been tested? The game in question is Death Jr. and I'll need to delete stuff from my SD card to fit it in, so it would be nice to know if it will work or not ahead of time or if it needs a donor ROM, etc..
so not trying to step on anybodys toes or anything but I don't understand why people run the nds roms from their 3ds sd card when they can get a r4 card for about $20 and play MOST games without any issue while also saving their 3ds storage...just something that confuses me so just curious

EDIT: you also reap extra benefits from twloader when you use an r4 so I just dont get it

Last edited by deathblade200,

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
so not trying to step on anybodys toes or anything but I don't understand why people run the nds roms from their 3ds sd card when they can get a r4 card for about $20 and play MOST games without any issue while also saving their 3ds storage...just something that confuses me so just curious

EDIT: you also reap extra benefits from twloader when you use an r4 so I just dont get it
Because I CAN'T get a flashcart, why would I even be using TWLoader if I had one when I could just play games directly? Also, it's not worth it since I literally only care about 3-5 games out of the entire 3DS library! Finally, it's more of a hassle, plus I'm actually going to make a forwarder for it so I won't even be using the actual TWLoader, just wondering about this one game's support.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because I CAN'T get a flashcart, why would I even be using TWLoader if I had one when I could just play games directly? Also, it's not worth it since I literally only care about 3-5 games out of the entire 3DS library! Finally, it's more of a hassle, plus I'm actually going to make a forwarder for it so I won't even be using the actual TWLoader, just wondering about this one game's support.
I was just asking wasn't like an attack against you its just you were just the most recent to comment lol

Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I was just asking wasn't like an attack against you its just you were just the most recent to comment lol
I know, but felt like explaining my case. Here, I have to import the flashcart and it falls under a stupid customs item category so I need to pay an additional 30€ just to get it, which is too much total for me. If I wanted to play 20-30+ games, then perhaps it would be worth it, but the only games I care about on the NDS are Pokemon Platinum (supported by TWLoader), Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (have the cartridge), The World Ends With You (not fully supported), Zero's Escape 999 (crashes) and Death Jr. (what I'm trying to see if it works), so basically 2-3 games, not worth the 50€ I'll have to pay (can't really afford either). Other people may have other reasons but can't answer for them.

Deleted member 424658

Annoying Weaboo Girl
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
I waited years to be able to pirate DS games freely, what's another few months of waiting for more games to work?

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I waited years to be able to pirate DS games freely, what's another few months of waiting for more games to work?
This is so true, I still remember following No$GBA from 2006 and on just to be able to get NDS ROM support, lol:rofl2:

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, but felt like explaining my case. Here, I have to import the flashcart and it falls under a stupid customs item category so I need to pay an additional 30€ just to get it, which is too much total for me. If I wanted to play 20-30+ games, then perhaps it would be worth it, but the only games I care about on the NDS are Pokemon Platinum (supported by TWLoader), Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (have the cartridge), The World Ends With You (not fully supported), Zero's Escape 999 (crashes) and Death Jr. (what I'm trying to see if it works), so basically 2-3 games, not worth the 50€ I'll have to pay (can't really afford either). Other people may have other reasons but can't answer for them.
wow that is an insane amount for a r4 so I can't blame you thats is about $60 I wouldn't pay that much for it either sad thing is i can confirm all those games work perfect on the r4

its compatibility and performance will never be as good as an r4 thats simply why I asked

CLY35612

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In my case, I'm currently in China so honestly I could just get up and go to the local electronics flea market and get myself a flashcart, I just suck at haggling so I'd probably end up paying similar prices (I mean, I already paid a guy here nearly US$50 for 32GB microSD+B9S set-up). Most of the titles I want to "play" (I also have the Japanese dictionary and a couple of kanji practice titles as well as games) work with no or minimal issues (one escape-the-room game stutters on the opening animation but works flawlessly after you start). It's just the Lost in Blue that are the issues, and unofficial nds-bootstrap and frequent quicksaves are good enough for me.

In my case, if I can find used cartridges for the couple of games I'm having problems with, I'd probably pay less than a flashcart.

Last edited by CLY35612,

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll be just as good as an R4 eventually.It already has a lot of games running at full speed, even some games that I hadn't heard of and got just because of this run perfectly.
its emulation vs the actual ds hardware so while its a nice thought there are 0 emulators that run the same as the original hardware does

CLY35612

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its emulation vs the actual ds hardware so while its a nice thought there are 0 emulators that run the same as the original hardware does

So it seems like I may be misunderstanding how nds-bootstrap works (and it may be in a very very dumb way). I thought it was loading ROMs through the "NDS mode" capabilities that are already on the 3DS?

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So it seems like I may be misunderstanding how nds-bootstrap works (and it may be in a very very dumb way). I thought it was loading ROMs through the "NDS mode" capabilities that are already on the 3DS?
It is exactly that, @deathblade200 is wrong in that one post. TWLoader doesn't emulate the DS, it's similar to Popsloader for Sony PSP (PS1 games on PSP), it uses the hardware. Problem is that it can't support everything, so you either have to modify the games themselves to make them run (almost impossible to do for all games) or tweak the code to make it work with more games.

CLY35612

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In which case I wonder if we'll eventually end up with a few different flavors of nds-bootstrap optimized for different types of games, or if it really is possible to eventually develop a single one to the point that it works with most games.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is exactly that, @deathblade200 is wrong in that one post. TWLoader doesn't emulate the DS, it's similar to Popsloader for Sony PSP (PS1 games on PSP), it uses the hardware. Problem is that it can't support everything, so you either have to modify the games themselves to make them run (almost impossible to do for all games) or tweak the code to make it work with more games.
pops is actually an emulation of ps1 games just a very good but not perfect emulator hell even the vita uses a psp emulator with the actual folder for it being called pspemu

Last edited by deathblade200,

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
In which case I wonder if we'll eventually end up with a few different flavors of nds-bootstrap optimized for different types of games, or if it really is possible to eventually develop a single one to the point that it works with most games.

That is already more or less the case as if you check the recent commits you will see many of them are various per-game settings.

pops is actually an emulation of ps1 games just a very good but not perfect emulator hell even the vita uses a psp emulator with the actual folder for it being called pspemu

No, pops is not an emulator any more than wine, virtualbox or gbarunner2 are. The PSP uses a MIPS R4000 CPU and the PS1 uses a R300A, thus no CPU emulation is necessary.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is already more or less the case as if you check the recent commits you will see many of them are various per-game settings.

No, pops is not an emulator any more than wine, virtualbox or gbarunner2 are. The PSP uses a MIPS R4000 CPU and the PS1 uses a R300A, thus no CPU emulation is necessary.
um all 3 of those are emulators and without going into a long rant about specifics psx and psp emulation on vita/psp are a form of hybrid native and emulation some things are natively done by the hardware while others are emulated which is the same case for twloader hence the compatibility issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c