Hacking Digimon World Re:Digitize - Translation

Malubaby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if this is totally unhelpful but I recall another translation project (I can't quite recall which) where it was suggested to use shorthand or "texting language" to get over the text limit. I mean the text limit may still not be sufficient even in shorthand but it is an option if there is no way of ASM hacking past the text limit. I apologize if this is something you've already considered but I didn't see it posted anywhere so I figured I'd mention it. Also, thank you for all your hard work and whatnot. It is strongly appreciated.

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm not sure if this is totally unhelpful but I recall another translation project (I can't quite recall which) where it was suggested to use shorthand or "texting language" to get over the text limit. I mean the text limit may still not be sufficient even in shorthand but it is an option if there is no way of ASM hacking past the text limit. I apologize if this is something you've already considered but I didn't see it posted anywhere so I figured I'd mention it. Also, thank you for all your hard work and whatnot. It is strongly appreciated.

We considered this as a last resort solution. But even with what you suggested, it would not work in some cases.
It is something I would simply hate to do...

Moreover it would feel horrible to do it this way, simply because we love and care about this project too much. We want to do it justice.

And just in general, unrelated to your post:

While I'm fully aware how fans just wanna have it right now, and I've heard those voices that say "When you're done nobody will care about it anymore",
ultimately we are doing this for us.

And well, I don't know how long it will take, I assure you everyone from the team wants to play it as badly as you do,
but this is NOT as someone at PSPISO suggested "decoding all the text into hexdecimal",
this is by far more complex, and PSP games especially are an area in Romhacking that is so new, that we not only lack experience, but mostly tools.
Only now the Debugger of PPSPP started to be useful for us, which is why we were able to present you those screens with the OSK in English and other things.

But the list of what has to done is really long and is not done in a day. (Well StorMyu said it would be a one day job...XD)
And sometimes we need to take a break to overcome a technical issue or find a solution.
There is also a huge lack of qualified people. The fact that Roxas75, our programmmer seems to have lost completely interest in this project and is not supporting his tools,
which are the reason for the textlimit (it is that, not something ASM related, but simply program related) is not helping things.

The translating, that's the easy part.

Also the most important thing: This is not a job. We are not getting paid for this. But somehow the rent has to be paid, our personal lifes depend on many things and we do it whenever we can.
I assure you we are not as lazy as everyone suggests.

As far as I'm concerned: I LOVE this project. And nothing would make me more happy then finally to present it to you guys. But when I will do so, I want to present you something I can be proud of.
And not something to make me famous and just shut people up.

(We are famous enough already anyways...XD)

SuperSZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Well, I think I may have read it somewhere on the first pages but... someone suggested that you open a donation "thing" (sorry I don't know the exact word in english but I think you understand what I meant) to this project, so that people who want to help can do it ((like in kickstarter, but due to the fact that this is a patch I doubt that you can create exactly a kickstarter project based on this)); maybe it won't be millions but it will most likely be enough to re-motivate the entire team. I'm pretty sure that many people here would have no problem in donating like 2 bucks if you give them the option

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Well, I think I may have read it somewhere on the first pages but... someone suggested that you open a donation "thing"

Any form of monetary donations for a translation patch are a sure fire way to attract unwanted corporate attention.
You REALLY don't want to risk any extra attention. Like I've stated before, it's a legal grey area and there's tons of sue happy lawyers out there. I don't think anyone here wants to bother with any of that.

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Any form of monetary donations for a translation patch are a sure fire way to attract unwanted corporate attention.
You REALLY don't want to risk any extra attention. Like I've stated before, it's a legal grey area and there's tons of sue happy lawyers out there. I don't think anyone here wants to bother with any of that.

And moreover, we don't lack motivation and I can't speak for the rest of the team, but money won't motivate me all too much...

AkiroWolfman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow guys, 60% through the game that is some impressive stuff. This will be da bomb when it's done. Bandai should actually consider hiring you guys on, you know your stuff, you know what people want and you actually talk to them. Impressive indeed.

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow guys, 60% through the game that is some impressive stuff. This will be da bomb when it's done. Bandai should actually consider hiring you guys on, you know your stuff, you know what people want and you actually talk to them. Impressive indeed.

It it weren't for all those technical difficulties, we would be done by now. Nobody wants this more to be done than I do.
It's not like we sit around and do nothing you know.

Deji213

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been watching this patch's progress since it started and I even thought that it would just stop like other game patches that didn't make it("no offense") but because of you guys who kept on working even for no personal gain, my hopes went up again. I'm very grateful that you guys did'n t stop working.

Please keep up the hard work and please keep us updated.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to say thank you for working on this patch.

Like others.. I honestly cannot wait for it. But I am also glad your taking your time to make sure you get it right.

I know it's not much, but I appreciate your work.

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
testing3.png

testing2i.png

Two examples of Icons translated. We love both versions and that's why it's hard to settle on one.
But which one you guys prefer? Tell us.

Also: People wondered about which ASM work has to be done. See the "Year and Day" this is one example for that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4