Hacking Digimon World Re:Digitize - Translation

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No, I've just made a Ram dump function to PPSSPP to help me on the debug process, but I'm not working on Digimon AT ALL:
https://digimonworldre.wordpress.com/

Ok some stuff I did:
osk3.png

For those who maybe don't understand.

When you entered your name, it was using a bad encoding, which made your name stretched, I've completly changed the OnScreenKeyboard parameters to allow ONLY english letters (no more japanese)
and your name is now displayed correctly, like this:
cckxbst8m4o28qp7k.jpg

Reactions: silverwolf689

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Damn it Myu. You're gonna have to write me a book on how you do that. That's the sort of thing I've been wanting to do damn it!
(Course IMO that's all AFTER main translation work, but it's always nice)

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
When Danball will work on PPSSPP, tell me xD
There's no OnScreenKeyboard in Danball iirc...

Actually there is. Used for Passwords, name entry, and Custom LBX names. I believe there's something else I'm forgetting it's used for but it's used a couple of times.

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello guys, only news I have are no good news:

We seem to have run into an issue, that currently makes us unable to show you what I wanted,
progress reports.

You see, when I enter 100% for sth, it means it is translated, but this doesn't mean it is inserted yet.
I guess I should make up a system to clear up what is translated and what is already tested and inserted.

Anyways, thing right now is, that with the tool we currently have, we have a textlimit. While I thought we could work around it,
currently it seems impossible because then vital sentences would not have only to be cut, but they would even lose sense.

Well I don't want to do that. So currently, what we are doing is, translate what we can, but thing is, that currently Roxas75 didn't
seem to have found a solution for the textlimit just yet.

But as with any other issue before, I'm hopeful we might somehow overcome and solve it.

I know this seems disappointing because we were kinda on a run lately, and started making some cool updates, but hey
things like that happen and while I think it is kinda frustrating, I think it is only a matter of time till we find a solution for that.

SuperSZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Textlimit? I thought that only happened with hex editing and you had some program that solved that problem. Or is it that the current tool does have a text limit but it lets you put more characters than hex editing would let you?. Anyways, I'm sure you'll find a solution soon :) . What I'm gonna say is kinda very obvious, but, you should try to contact another translation teams and ask them (maybe someone already had a similar problem with a game and could solve it), or like create a thread in a specific website about rom hacking / translating.

Good luck!!

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Textlimit? I thought that only happened with hex editing and you had some program that solved that problem. Or is it that the current tool does have a text limit but it lets you put more characters than hex editing would let you?. Anyways, I'm sure you'll find a solution soon :) . What I'm gonna say is kinda very obvious, but, you should try to contact another translation teams and ask them (maybe someone already had a similar problem with a game and could solve it), or like create a thread in a specific website about rom hacking / translating.

Good luck!!

Technically the tool should do it, but the current tool is giving us a textlimit. yes it is more than with hex editing, but it is still not enough, that is the problem.
I don't know who I could contact that would have the needen expertise for that problem.

SuperSZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Do Stormyu or Roxas75 know someone with that experience?. I've just heard that kazowar has worked in many projects, and he posted here or in my digimon adventure thread. Maybe he knows. What about asking here: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php ? There is a lot of people in that forum, so statistically there are many chances that they can help you, (just make sure to tell all the details of the problem there, so they can fully understand the issue)

StorMyu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
not that we can't, Roxas is super busy, and I've got enough job to do in other stuff and I don't want to do the whole work again since it's basically done with a little "bug".
That's all, just a little "wait"

FranciscoMateus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
The bad news doesn't mean anything, just a little problem that I know you can get over soon. All we need is to have more patience and wait, like we always did.

Good Luck!

Iscu16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hy guys :) u are the best 4 translating this great game !!!
I have 1 question 4 u :) but please dont throw stones on me after this :D
Why u wont relese the patch until now ..... i really wanna play this game 4 for a long time but i cant play it in jap :(... i understood u wanna make it 100% translation but why wont u relese upuntil now ?
Couldnt you relese the patch up until now ?

Thanks !

You are the BEST ....Keep this up:)

StorMyu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
"until now" overdose.
And I will quote someone who kinda sum it up:

Releasing a full, complete patch works better IMO

Partial Patch:

Pros:

- people get to start the game faster
- people who just want menus or other basics can get that
- people feel like progress is being made
- increases support for the project if the incomplete patch is decent, meaning slightly increased momentum

Cons:

- it takes a lot of time to invest into making the patch
- often times it means breaking up the process, instead of translating and preparing as one big step over a few months, they have to do part of it, then insert it into the game, then get back to translating/preparing, etc., this is detrimental to the speed of the project as a whole
- much more likely for bugs, glitches, etc.
- it's incomplete, derp
- people will complain about certain things that will likely be fixed in later patches, and until the team releases a new patch they will CONTINUE to say this
- nubs will question why it's not fully translated and ask about when the full patch is coming etc., wasting the people's time when they should be working on the final patch
- the opposite of the last "pro" can also hold true, it can backfire and decrease momentum if people end up complaining too much or releasing the incompleted patch can make the team lose their momentum and even say "whatever I'm too busy we'll just quit here"
- people who make progress on the incompleted version will likely want to switch to the new completed version once it's out, meaning the creator's have to then worry about supporting the transferring of saves, which can be not only difficult to explain to people, but sometimes impossible/generally difficult if the game's programming has been edited enough
- the experience of transitioning from an incompleted patch to a completed one is generally weird because people have to get used to all the translated text--as odd as it sounds that people might be thrown off by everything being translated when that's the goal, if you've followed enough projects, this'd probably make some sense (for one, if you're mid-playthrough and didn't know crap about the story besides inferences from cutscenes... -_- then the translated story appears and it's like "uh, wut?")

Full Patch:

Pros:

- less likely for bugs, glitches
- everything's done, so people can just sit back and enjoy the game instead of worrying about all the untranslated text, stuff that has yet to be done, etc.
- more professional
- everything is "consistent" so to speak, there's no "oh, they changed the name of X to Y from one patch to another" because there was only ever one name
- people spend less time annoying creator's and pushing their buttons
- allows them to focus and work on the project most efficiently instead of worrying about getting patches out
- pretty much, it lacks most of the cons of partial patches :|

Cons:

- it takes a lot longer to get released and in the mean time there's nothing to "keep people busy"
- there may be time spans with little to no visible progress
- difficult for someone to pick up the project if it dies unless the team shares their progress privately (which is totally feasible so :|)

Even if you're not good at reading and comprehending English, I think the pure quantity of pros/cons of each attests to which one is generally the better option

And ultimately, it's the team's choice, and if they're working on this translation hack for free on their own time, they have little reason to listen to the petty desires of people who contribute little to nothing to the game (with the exceptions of legitimate suggestions, which happen oh so not often)... i.e. to say, they can do what they want, and they don't have any obligation to explain themselves, nor does anyone have any obligation to follow the project and play it when it is complete :P

But there's also the whole "people being nice/reasonable and explaining their logic", as a hacker, project manager, etc. I took the liberty of speaking for translation teams in general, I apologize if I said something that doesn't apply, I just felt like giving my 2 cents on why full patches are preferable over partial patches. ^_^

Blazer, thanks for writing this x)

Reactions: blocky

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte