Hacking Derrek6 has the Wii U Boot1 Key!

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you saying there's a chance that with an IOSU hack WiiU sales will go up? by IOSU hack I obviously mean easy backup loading. If you're saying software and hardware sales are totally dismal than a hacked console could at least boost their hardware sales before the NX? Don't they sell mad amounts of old consoles once the one drops due to price dips? I guess what I am asking is primetime for who?

I'm not sure why people continue to think this, it's literally ridiculous. This will be the third time I'll have had to explain this just in the past like 2 days. No, Wii U sales will not increase due to a hack. People will buy used consoles because the used consoles will become significantly cheaper, and Nintendo sees none of those profits. You won't see new Wii U prices drop until Nintendo is officially done with it, and at that point they will drop because individual retailers will sell them at the price they bought them for or lower just to get rid of stock, so Nintendo won't see profits there either.

Look, this is the process:
  1. Nintendo sells consoles to merchandisers and profit ~$15 per console. They already have made their money here, without you.
  2. Merchandisers sell or resell and make profit as well. This is the consumer price, the $249 you think of when you see a Wii U on a store shelf. It is substantially higher than what Nintendo sells it for per unit. Without having the console actually even enter a consumer's home, Nintendo has already made their money.
  3. Game developers pay Nintendo a relatively huge fee to develop a game for their Wii U platform. They make the game and distribute it. Part of the contract the developer signs with Nintendo, after paying the developer's fee, states that Nintendo makes a certain percentage of money from each individual software sale. So anytime you buy a game from the eShop, or a merchandiser buys a physical copy of a game to sell in their store, Nintendo, the developers, and the various retailers, distributors and manufacturers all have to get paid off that $50-60 you spend. This is where Nintendo really makes their money, even though they get a relatively small percentage of the profit. It's also why developers and console manufacturers both love the e-market: they don't have to cut into their earnings by paying to have a game physically printed, distributed, and sold to merchandisers at a relatively smaller amount, around $43-56.
All hacks will do, is make games easier to pirate, thus causing a dramatic decrease in software sales. Retailers will stop buying games because no one will purchase them, and they wind up with overstock they can't move without selling at no profit or a loss. Obviously, you won't be buying games from the eShop either if you pirate them. And although this won't probably hurt the console sales (if anything, it will cause them to increase by a small 1 or 2% margin), Nintendo isn't going to care, because they don't make their money off consumers buying consoles, which most stores here in the U.S. have stockpiled. They make it off retailers buying the consoles to resell to consumers, and off software sales.

That is why I am against piracy in general, but particularly during a console's life span. It's also why companies (other than Sega) really make sure its a pain in the ass to hack their consoles.

D

Deleted User

If your buying a used Wii U would a regular consumer be watching for that IOSU exploit? No. They would buy it to play sm4sh or something. Not to hack it. The regular consumer does not care about hacking it to get free games.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

I pwned U!

I am pleased to beat you!
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully some more interesting developments will come from this.

Being able to reverse engineer the booting process will be exciting!

4D61646520796F75206C6F6F6B212121
Do not get excited, this last part was a joke, not the real key!:P
key troll.PNG

I apologize in advance for giving in to the temptation to make this joke.

Last edited by I pwned U!,
Reactions: The Cringe and PF2M

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country
latest wiki changes show some interesting things (like a flag that allows OTP lock skipping and a pastebin about what really happened to Hykem, which includes some "hints" about the user and kernel IOSU exploits)

PS: CtrlChicken does exist (and so does 0xF5AF5A)

Last edited by zecoxao,

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure why people continue to think this, it's literally ridiculous. This will be the third time I'll have had to explain this just in the past like 2 days. No, Wii U sales will not increase due to a hack. People will buy used consoles because the used consoles will become significantly cheaper, and Nintendo sees none of those profits. You won't see new Wii U prices drop until Nintendo is officially done with it, and at that point they will drop because individual retailers will sell them at the price they bought them for or lower just to get rid of stock, so Nintendo won't see profits there either.

Look, this is the process:
  1. Nintendo sells consoles to merchandisers and profit ~$15 per console. They already have made their money here, without you.
  2. Merchandisers sell or resell and make profit as well. This is the consumer price, the $249 you think of when you see a Wii U on a store shelf. It is substantially higher than what Nintendo sells it for per unit. Without having the console actually even enter a consumer's home, Nintendo has already made their money.
  3. Game developers pay Nintendo a relatively huge fee to develop a game for their Wii U platform. They make the game and distribute it. Part of the contract the developer signs with Nintendo, after paying the developer's fee, states that Nintendo makes a certain percentage of money from each individual software sale. So anytime you buy a game from the eShop, or a merchandiser buys a physical copy of a game to sell in their store, Nintendo, the developers, and the various retailers, distributors and manufacturers all have to get paid off that $50-60 you spend. This is where Nintendo really makes their money, even though they get a relatively small percentage of the profit. It's also why developers and console manufacturers both love the e-market: they don't have to cut into their earnings by paying to have a game physically printed, distributed, and sold to merchandisers at a relatively smaller amount, around $43-56.
All hacks will do, is make games easier to pirate, thus causing a dramatic decrease in software sales. Retailers will stop buying games because no one will purchase them, and they wind up with overstock they can't move without selling at no profit or a loss. Obviously, you won't be buying games from the eShop either if you pirate them. And although this won't probably hurt the console sales (if anything, it will cause them to increase by a small 1 or 2% margin), Nintendo isn't going to care, because they don't make their money off consumers buying consoles, which most stores here in the U.S. have stockpiled. They make it off retailers buying the consoles to resell to consumers, and off software sales.

That is why I am against piracy in general, but particularly during a console's life span. It's also why companies (other than Sega) really make sure its a pain in the ass to hack their consoles.

That was a lot, what are you saying? Primetime for what? Who's benefiting from the hack? Nintendo, or end-user jerks?

Also broadline retailers are not profiting shit on the consoles themselves, wii u or 3ds. These are shipped from Synnex New Age Games division, previously known as jack of all games for around $5 over msrp. Thats right OVER msrp. So they take a hit on each console. This is not confusing to those in retail though. I own cell phone stores and lose $10 on each cricket phone, but profit from the activation and commision from the monthly recurring charges and residual action, but the money is in cell phone cases, approximately 500% markup. The shit accessories they sell for 20 and buy for 5 is the reason they will take a hit on consoles. The markup on games is a dismal 3 or 5 percent most of the time as well which doesnt cover overhead or the cost of holding the inventory.

Last edited by TheZander,

CJB100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was a lot, what are you saying? Primetime for what? Who's benefiting from the hack? Nintendo, or end-user jerks?

Also broadline retailers are not profiting shit on the consoles themselves, wii u or 3ds. These are shipped from Synnex New Age Games division, previously known as jack of all games for around $5 over msrp. Thats right OVER msrp. So they take a hit on each console. This is not confusing to those in retail though. I own cell phone stores and lose $10 on each cricket phone, but profit from the activation and commision from the monthly recurring charges and residual action, but the money is in cell phone cases, approximately 500% markup. The shit accessories they sell for 20 and buy for 5 is the reason they will take a hit on consoles. The markup on games is a dismal 3 or 5 percent most of the time as well which doesnt cover overhead or the cost of holding the inventory.

I used to work at a mom and pop game store as a repair tech and salesman, and we were able to make a pretty good mark up on things and still be cheaper than competitors, except the games, as you and I have both said. Consoles were a mixed bag for us, but I am positive your typical retailers like Wal-Mart and Best Buy get consoles much cheaper than we did, as our distributor was an absolute joke and nightmare.

And to answer your original question, prime time for hacking the console. If we wait a whole lot longer the scene will be dead on arrival.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's actually true.
You can "copyright" a number to some extent.
I'm going to create a 2-bit file, just a 0 and a 1 at the binary level, then charge an exorbitant sum for it. Anyone who creates a digital file after this point owes me damages for using portions of my copyrighted file.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Perhaps you should actually look up sales figures for some of the most pirated games on the net. It has been shown time and time again that piracy has no significant effect on game sale. And in the case of indie games, can significantly HELP drive sales by helping the popularity of the game to explode, creating a chain reaction of sales.

Most of the people who pirate, especially on consoles, are those without the money to spend on all the games they'd like to play (often 3rd/2nd world country people), or that don't think a game is worth their money, and thus if not given the option to pirate, SIMPLY WOULDN'T BUY IT.

Reactions: Supster131

CJB100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. You've clearly educated yourself on the subject, but ultimately there's only so much either of us can really discern about a huge market like video games. I have my viewpoint, and you are certainly entitled to having your own.

As far as sales figures go, sales of games have actually dropped dramatically for Nintendo in recent years. Maybe because back in NES - N64 days, it was very hard to pirate? Sega Dreamcast was a piracy nightmare, and it certainly didn't help Sega. And Xbox certainly had abysmal game sales all around except for the Halo series. But like with most things in life, these are all due to a mix of various variables. For me to say that its due specifically to piracy, or even mostly to piracy, would be ludicrous. Similarly, saying that all games or most games pirated have skyrocketing sales because of their fame or infamy is also going too far. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Baphomet

Homebrew Justice Warrior™
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
It's also why companies (other than Sega) really make sure its a pain in the ass to hack their consoles.

The Dreamcast Mil-CD debacle isn't really a good example of Sega making their consoles less of a pain in the ass to pirate than their competitors. It also wasn't a 'piracy nightmare', especially in the country where I'm from... broadband connections were not common during that moment in time and CD burners were only just becoming a popular thing with everyday PC's. People always rope the system into some point they want to make in regards to piracy whilst overlooking the general public just wanted PS2s and didn't give a shit about the system.

Leave the Dreamcast alone. :toot:

Reactions: Ryccardo

Straximus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll just add a little old man perspective. Game sales dropping off for Nintendo seemed to coincide more with loss of strong third party support for their systems than with ease of piracy, as the ability to boot GC backups easily didn't come until late in it's life. The Dreamcast also suffered from a lack of 3rd party support, EA's in particular. Contrast that with the PS1, which like the DC was a piracy hotbed (and from earlier in its life cycle as well), but benefited from some of the strongest 3rd party support a console has ever seen.

Personally, I think piracy has multiple effects, because there are multiple kinds of piracy. Some effects seem good, some bad, and some neutral. Except for some exceptional cases, those effects are very hard to measure, and it's difficult to say what the net effect is for a given game, let alone the industry. But whatever the net effect is, it certainly seems to be overstated by both the pro and anti-piracy camps, in my opinion.

Take that for whatever it's worth to you.

Reactions: CJB100

CJB100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll just add a little old man perspective. Game sales dropping off for Nintendo seemed to coincide more with loss of strong third party support for their systems than with ease of piracy, as the ability to boot GC backups easily didn't come until late in it's life. The Dreamcast also suffered from a lack of 3rd party support, EA's in particular. Contrast that with the PS1, which like the DC was a piracy hotbed (and from earlier in its life cycle as well), but benefited from some of the strongest 3rd party support a console has ever seen.

Personally, I think piracy has multiple effects, because there are multiple kinds of piracy. Some effects seem good, some bad, and some neutral. Except for some exceptional cases, those effects are very hard to measure, and it's difficult to say what the net effect is for a given game, let alone the industry. But whatever the net effect is, it certainly seems to be overstated by both the pro and anti-piracy camps, in my opinion.

Take that for whatever it's worth to you.

No, actually this is what I was saying in my last post. I completely agree. I just happen to not like piracy, and there's a lot of information against it, just in the same way that there is a lot you could argue for it. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I now own a large collection of ROMs and legitimate backups I had owned and paid for when they were relevant. But after a while most of that stuff had to go, it was physically cluttering up my space. I just like knowing I actually paid full prices for things when I first played them. After all, it is someone's livelihood at the end of the day.

Reactions: Straximus

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
latest wiki changes show some interesting things (like a flag that allows OTP lock skipping and a pastebin about what really happened to Hykem, which includes some "hints" about the user and kernel IOSU exploits)

PS: CtrlChicken does exist (and so does 0xF5AF5A)

So the pastebin that was shown in another thread was true? Wow. It just sounded so... forced or just plain fake (specially the part of "he talked to the wrong people" makes it seem as if we were talking about drug here or even an Ant-man style type of story XD). Regardless, at least we now know a little bit more about the whole mess. Poor Hykem =\

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Piracy ruins active systems for me as it becomes a case of "Let's collect ROMs and play none" whereas (like for example with my Wii U) I now check the reviews, scope out a couple of good titles, buy them and play them before doing the same again.

It really makes you appreciate the titles much more and squeeze the juice out of your investment that way.

The main thing I'm looking forward to with the Wii U when it comes to CFW And whatnot is the emulators as its the perfect machine to enjoy PPSSPP and Dreamcast classics on plus its got a huge amount of grunt so it would be nice to see what the devs can create on this platform.

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm going to create a 2-bit file, just a 0 and a 1 at the binary level, then charge an exorbitant sum for it. Anyone who creates a digital file after this point owes me damages for using portions of my copyrighted file.

No you can not do that because it's unreasonable. This is the extent I was talking about. Law isn't a program, it's applied by human beings with common sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea is pretty good