Hacking Derrek6 has the Wii U Boot1 Key!

Rfire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Huh what would this allow?

Not a thing. It's an SHA-1 hash. So in other words completely useless. I guess like marcan he believes some information is "dangerous" and that the general public is not worthy of knowing it. Only 31 people - the Elders And Knowers Of Secret Information Who Know Things You Don't(TM) who chat in super secret hush hush IRC channels. Since he only posted the useless hash and not the ACTUAL key it is safe to assume he is just like marcan and believes in keeping things...

MRLonnU.png

Too bad. I was hoping we'd finally get someone skilled in the "scene" that doesn't believe in keeping a stranglehold on the release of information. (Skilled enough to find things like keys in proprietary consoles). We do have skilled persons otherwise such as crediar who I mean no offense to with that statement. I'm just referring to those who are able to reverse engineer at such a low level that allows them to access protected areas of the NAND, ICs, EEPROMs, and so forth.

That said, the actual key probably isn't all that useful. We have HLE emulation, softmods to allow for homebrew and backup launching. So it may not be of consequence either way longterm.

EDIT: I suppose if you really want to get technical about it, the SHA-1 hash would allow you to verify if a leaked key corresponds to the SHA-1 hash by using OpenSSL or some other SHA-1 computation utility and the leaked string. But this assumes that he posted the SHA-1 hash of the actual Boot1 key and isn't making it up or found some other key and erroneously attributed it to Boot1. Its usefulness ends there.

Example: echo -n "ACTUALKEYHERE" | openssl sha1

Then see if the resulting stdout matches the reported SHA-1.

Last edited by Rfire,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Rfire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This thread makes me think. If that one guy didn't leak the kernal hack for 5.5 Wii-U, we'd probably still be waiting for that shit.

That guy is a hero in my book, who ever he was!

If, and only if he releases the actual key and not a mostly useless SHA-1 that there is no proof actually is the hash of the Boot1 key (I could post an SHA-1 hash and claim it is the Boot1 key too) then yes he is a hero. And of course this is also contingent on if it is real.

For example the SHA-1 hash for "GBATemp" (the string) is "5e623bf705e6428a6d43c6366438fd3f8bab5041"

Anyone can compute an SHA-1 hash for a string. They are always the same length whether stdin is a few bytes or several hundred gigabytes. Unless someone else has the actual Boot1 key and can affirm the SHA-1 hash he posted corresponds to it, then getting excited about this is premature.

Last edited by Rfire,

Jow Banks

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's not exactly true, at 32c3 they revealed several new 3DS exploits and what did that end with? Working open source implementations of A9LH, ntrcardhax and memchunkhax2, that's what ;)
They revealed enough info so that homebrew devs knew where to look, that's all it takes.
As I already posted above , I'm talking in the wii-u forums about the wii-u not the 3DS.
The 3DS has a healthy active scene and has great devs like @d0k3 that share what they find so others can learn and develop even more.
Its a snowball effect and just keeps getting better everyday.

The wii-u is something different for some unknown reason and nobody wants to share anything except sha1 values.
The current hack had to be leaked - it wasn't shared.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
As I already posted above , I'm talking in the wii-u forums about the wii-u not the 3DS.
The 3DS has a healthy active scene and has great devs like @d0k3 that share what they find so others can learn and develop even more.
Its a snowball effect and just keeps getting better everyday.

The wii-u is something different for some unknown reason and nobody wants to share anything except sha1 values.
The current hack had to be leaked - it wasn't shared.
It's not like the Wii U doesn't have a homebrew scene with active devs, it's just much smaller. We did get two kernel exploits and among other useful things a warez loader so that's not too bad. Loadiine, Caffiine, pyGecko, all these things took skill to write.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feels like Nintendo stopped caring about the Wii-U and didn't even bother to patch the exploit. How long ago was that exploit leaked again?

I'm not even sure why people are keeping stuff hidden for a console that has less than a year of life left in it. Once the NX drops, the Wii-U is gonna get dropped hard by Nintendo, like they did with every console so far. They'll claim otherwise, but we all know they did the same in the past, and what happened at the end.

I don't own a Wii-U, but once that thing becomes dirt cheap, which I hope is soon, I'm so gonna buy one!

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo doesn't drop support for old consoles once new ones drops. I just bought the new Penguins of Madagascar game for the Wii like last week. The story is solid, gameplay is a little repetitive.

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo doesn't drop support for old consoles once new ones drops. I just bought the new Penguins of Madagascar game for the Wii like last week. The story is solid, gameplay is a little repetitive.

Game manufacturers and creators have nothing to do with hardware companies aside from having to pay them a developer's fee for making the game on their platform. Nintendo has had a historically horrible reputation for dropping their poor selling consoles like dirty t-shirts in the past. They completely dropped the N64 and Gamcube less than a year after their successors came out, and had a relatively poor transition period between the SNES and N64. They stopped making Wii's a while back, and the only reason they still let people make games for that platform is because, frankly, it's software sales are performing well enough to actually compete with software sales on their current generation hardware. They already do not give a crap about this console anymore. They announced two Wii U exclusive games at E3. To put that in perspective, they actually talked about how Just Dance 2017 will be available for the Wii, Wii U and NX. So the Wii, their last gen hardware, is making enough money in software sales to warrant mention at E3 2017. Meanwhile, their current gen hardware has so little sales in terms of software, they actually just spent the whole first day hyping people up for Zelda Breath of the Wild so they can make back what they are putting into it. Mark my words, Nintendo is just riding this console out til they can drop it like the lead-sailed ship it is to them. Which is a big reason why I finally joined this forum. Right now is the best opportunity for a full IOSU hack to occur. If it happens after NX, it will be too late. If it had happened too much earlier, it would probably have been too early. It's prime time, and I wanna be at the forefront when something drops.

EstPC13

Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
Game manufacturers and creators have nothing to do with hardware companies aside from having to pay them a developer's fee for making the game on their platform. Nintendo has had a historically horrible reputation for dropping their poor selling consoles like dirty t-shirts in the past. They completely dropped the N64 and Gamcube less than a year after their successors came out, and had a relatively poor transition period between the SNES and N64. They stopped making Wii's a while back, and the only reason they still let people make games for that platform is because, frankly, it's software sales are performing well enough to actually compete with software sales on their current generation hardware. They already do not give a crap about this console anymore. They announced two Wii U exclusive games at E3. To put that in perspective, they actually talked about how Just Dance 2017 will be available for the Wii, Wii U and NX. So the Wii, their last gen hardware, is making enough money in software sales to warrant mention at E3 2017. Meanwhile, their current gen hardware has so little sales in terms of software, they actually just spent the whole first day hyping people up for Zelda Breath of the Wild so they can make back what they are putting into it. Mark my words, Nintendo is just riding this console out til they can drop it like the lead-sailed ship it is to them. Which is a big reason why I finally joined this forum. Right now is the best opportunity for a full IOSU hack to occur. If it happens after NX, it will be too late. If it had happened too much earlier, it would probably have been too early. It's prime time, and I wanna be at the forefront when something drops.
Sadly, all of that is true

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you saying there's a chance that with an IOSU hack WiiU sales will go up? by IOSU hack I obviously mean easy backup loading. If you're saying software and hardware sales are totally dismal than a hacked console could at least boost their hardware sales before the NX? Don't they sell mad amounts of old consoles once the one drops due to price dips? I guess what I am asking is primetime for who?

DarkenSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even if the key is legit unless we had boot0 key or acess as well to boot0 isn't this pretty much useless unless you're a seasoned hacker as any modifications to boot1 will cause boot0 not to allow boot1 to boot because the hash will change and thus maybe the key so that equals a brick.. btw was boot0 on the wii was what priiloader recovery got install to or boot1?

Last edited by DarkenSX,

ARVI80

Trophies
XP
Country
The actual key would be nice to possibly aid in testing and may even help with my attempts to reverse engineer the encrypted usb drives. I currently only have a list of commands that are used with wiiu formatted drives.

Last edited by ARVI80,
Reactions: ShadowOne333

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The actual key would be nice to possibly aid in testing and may even help with my attempts to reverse engineer the encrypted usb drives. I currently only have a list of commands that are used with wiiu formatted drives.

While the ACTUAL boot1 key is historical interesting, it is totally unnecessary and has been for quite sometime.
When you have access to a decrypted boot1 blob/bin, you just do not need it. teachboot2 Anyone?

Besides all the cool kids have left this forum for "greener pastures". For the past 2-3 months they have been playing elsewhere.

Last edited by Bug_Checker_,

ARVI80

Trophies
XP
Country
The fastest I think an sha1 can be done is 2/69 at around 25k plus. I don't have those kind of resources and it would take around 3 years if I did lol

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't bruteforce a hash because of collisions, especially when you're dealing with completely random strings such as keys to begin with. There are a (virtually) infinite amount of strings that have the same hash

Password guessing works because it's using a dictionary-based attack and calculating what the hash of known words actually is

Reactions: KiiWii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No those are just incoming calls +1