Day 1 Update needed for PS4 BD/DVD playback & Vita remote play

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its funny because in other forums, people mocked Nintendo for launching "an unfinished product" due to the day-1 update to add things like Wii Mode, assuming companies like Sony and Microsoft wouldn't have this situation plague their launches. Now it comes to bite them back.
the funny thing is that the xbone will probably do the same thing

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those in the know, this is not surprising. Especially Blu-ray disc playback is heavily relying on disc/online updates. If some of you have the older BD players (sans the PS3), you'll probably know the pain in having newer BD playing on the old hardware. The software is updated relatively often and requires updates.

Sans the PS3? Nope, I've had plenty of times when blurays wouldn't play without an update (and I didn't want to update to watch a freakin movie).

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I don't think it's such a big deal. Never did. Doing it like this makes sure it gets released on time, and makes it easier for them to manufacture and ship it out.

VampireLordAlucard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I remember correctly, the original Wii required a day 1 update for sd card support even. Almost all modern product launches require day 1 updates for basic functionality, because they send the hardware off to manufacturing, and keep working on software all the way up till launch.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just realized that the background music feature might be locked to Music Unlimited subscribers. Disappointing if true since the Vita can play music in game without a subscription. :/

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't see this as a big deal. Whenever you buy a new PC you usually have to download a crap ton of updates. One 300MB update isn't going to ruin my experience with the console. I get that some people don't have internet access, but in this generation it is part of the console and gaming experience. Similarly to buying a computer, people don't buy compy's to play minesweeper and mess with the calculator, they want the internet. More than half of the reasons why I want a PS4 have to do with it's online services, and I don't think I'm alone on that.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sans the PS3? Nope, I've had plenty of times when blurays wouldn't play without an update (and I didn't want to update to watch a freakin movie).

What I meant was that old hardware couldn't be updated in some cases. The PS3 on the other hand could.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ Okay ....?
Anyway, the bigger concern here is that the suspend/resume feature will not work at launch.
Really good feature that I hope Sony will tack on (At least before I get mine :( )
I was saying people were complaining about the Wii U not having everything ready out of the box (as in needing a system update day one in order for the features to work). Now the PS4 needs to go through the same process in order to use Bluray/DVD playback on day one. :creep:

Except it didn't ship with Bluray or DVD compatibility at all.
He meant the same principle of having to update on day one in order to have added functionality. Are people still bitching about lack of DVD playback? Maybe they should get a $50 player at Walmart. :lol: This is 2013, if people don't have at least a computer, a player for DVDs by now or another device to play them, then that's just sad.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
At least U can play Games out the Box............Unless U need the Update for that too :nayps3:
Even if you would, the update would be included on the game disc so who cares?
But yeah, Day 1 updates just make sense for companies these days. It'd be dumb NOT to expect them.

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
iam sure... ps4 without firts update have a big hole for run unsigned code... (iam trolling..)
Nevermind, this is a strategy for force people to connect the ps4 to internet... or maybe the bluray disc need to feel the region (for setup dvd/bluray region country)...
sony can't know if u are asian or europe or USA bluray/dvd owner.... the update MAYBE FLASH SOME ON BLURAY DRIVE!!! OMG!!!! (secret)

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
He meant the same principle of having to update on day one in order to have added functionality. Are people still bitching about lack of DVD playback? Maybe they should get a $50 player at Walmart. :lol: This is 2013, if people don't have at least a computer, a player for DVDs by now or another device to play them, then that's just sad.

To be honest,if the hardware is there, I as a consumer would expect the software to support it. Sure pretty much everything and the kitchen sink plays DVDs and DBs, but it is kinda odd that a home console doesn't ;____;''

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest,if the hardware is there, I as a consumer would expect the software to support it. Sure pretty much everything and the kitchen sink plays DVDs and DBs, but it is kinda odd that a home console doesn't ;____;''

Two words. Licensing fees. Nintendo has to pay them to use DVDs or Bluray movies. Why can't people understand that? I wish people would stop their bitching about that and face the fact that Nintendo doesn't support them for a reason.

Royalties/licensing fees need to be payed, they didn't want to pay said fees, why can't people accept the Wii U for what it is, a gaming console? Let the PS3 or PS4 play Blurays, let Nintendo consoles be Nintendo consoles.

Reactions: SmokeyTheDog

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
dvd/bluray player with DVX MKV inside cost around 20$ (50$ if u want a good one).... please not spend lot of money for redoundant hw.. but BUY A GOOD SUBWOOFER and ENJOY the games WITH good SOUND!
i do the trick with AV cable of xbox360, i connect the two jack to AUX of my OLD stereo (90people have one 200w stereo for SURE), and enjoy!
IF u have subwoofer or 5.1 or 7,1 with power is good! console is for GAME, or do a little webserver and looks video via broswer..

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two words. Licensing fees. Nintendo has to pay them to use DVDs or Bluray movies. Why can't people understand that? I wish people would stop their bitching about that and face the fact that Nintendo doesn't support them for a reason.

Royalties/licensing fees need to be payed, they didn't want to pay said fees, why can't people accept the Wii U for what it is, a gaming console? Let the PS3 or PS4 play Blurays, let Nintendo consoles be Nintendo consoles.

Nintendo has a lot of money, maybe they should fucking bite the bullet and buy it. Like their consoles can't play fucking CDs for Christ's sake. The PSX could play CDs.

Microsoft finally licensed out Bluray tech so the Xbox One could play Blurays, there's no excuse for Nintendo not to.

Also the whole "But Nintendo makes gaming consoles!" argument is not a valid excuse for being a cheap bastard and making consumers hurt for it.

edwardbirkholz05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has a lot of money, maybe they should fucking bite the bullet and buy it. Like their consoles can't play fucking CDs for Christ's sake. The PSX could play CDs.
CDs use a different type of laser that would require an additional pickup in the drive assembly, so that's a pretty crappy argument unless you honestly expect them to add non-gaming related hardware just for convenience sake... like the video input on the xbone that nobody asked for.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Microsoft finally licensed out Bluray tech so the Xbox One could play Blurays, there's no excuse for Nintendo not to.

Also the whole "But Nintendo makes gaming consoles!" argument is not a valid excuse for being a cheap bastard and making consumers hurt for it.

Oh dear, it would seem my argument has struck a nerve with you. If you don't like the fact that Nintendo console's don't support CDs, DVDs or Bluray discs. then don't buy the console if you're so upset about the damn thing. Get a PS4 or Xbox One. You know, I wish people would actually come up with decent counterarguments with substantiated reasons as to why they felt that way instead of bullshitting to bring other people down along with their opinions. If you're so hellbent on not liking Nintendo, don't buy their products. It's that simple.

So the Wii U doesn't have Bluray or DVD support, who the hell buys a console solely for DVDs anyway? Who doesn't have a DVD player in some form, who needs more than one or two?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Except for, you know, keeping prices down. They were already selling at a loss before they dropped the price $50. :rolleyes:

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't like the fact that Nintendo console's don't support CDs, DVDs or Bluray discs. Don't buy the motherfu**ing console if you're so butthurt about the damn thing.

"If you don't like it, don't buy it!"
"Okay."
"..."

Well, that explains the Wii U's sales.

Except for, you know, keeping prices down. They were already selling at a loss before they dropped the price $50. :rolleyes:

You know, this wouldn't be a problem if Nintendo wasn't wasting so much money per unit on the tablet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@