• Thread starter Deleted-171178
  • Start date
  • Views 3,105
  • Replies 27
D

Deleted-171178

OP
BBC News said:
onservative leader David Cameron is the new UK prime minister after the resignation of Gordon Brown.

Mr Cameron, 43, entered 10 Downing Street after travelling to Buckingham Palace to formally accept the Queen's request to form the next government.

He said he aimed to form a "proper and full coalition" with the Lib Dems to provide "strong, stable government".

His party won the most seats in the UK general election last week, but not an overall majority.

In a speech outside his new Downing Street home, Mr Cameron said he and Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg would "put aside party differences and work hard for the common good and the national interest".

He paid tribute to outgoing PM Gordon Brown for his long years of public service and said he would tackle Britain's "pressing problems" - the deficit, social problems and to "rebuild trust in our political system".

Mr Cameron stressed there would be "difficult decisions" but said he wanted to take people through them to reach "better times ahead".

He said he aimed to "help build a more responsible society here in Britain... Those who can should and those who can't, we will always help. I want to make sure that my government always looks after the elderly, the frail, the poorest in our country.

"We must take everyone through with us on some of the difficult decisions we have ahead."

"I came into politics because I love this country, I think it's best days still lie ahead and I believe deeply in public service.

"I think the service our country needs right now is to face up to our big challenges, to confront our problems, take difficult decisions, lead people through those decisions, so that together we can reach better times ahead."

Lib Dem agreement

The Conservatives have been in days of negotiations with the Lib Dems - who were also negotiating with Labour - after the UK election resulted in a hung parliament.

Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg must get the support of a majority of his MPs and his party's ruling body, the federal executive, before he can enter into a coalition.

I came into politics because I love this country, I think it's best days still lie ahead
David Cameron

Brown resigns as prime minister

Gordon Brown's rise and fall

Earlier the Lib Dems said talks with Labour failed because "the Labour Party never took seriously the prospects of forming a progressive, reforming government".

A spokesman said key members of the Labour team "gave every impression of wanting the process to fail" and the party had made "no attempt at all" to agree a common approach on issues like schools funding and tax reform.

"Certain key Labour cabinet ministers were determined to undermine any agreement by holding out on policy issues and suggesting that Labour would not deliver on proportional representation and might not marshal the votes to secure even the most modest form of electoral reform," he said.

However Labour's Lord Mandelson told the BBC they had been "up for" a deal with the Lib Dems, but they had "created so many barriers and obstacles that perhaps they thought their interests lay on the Tory side, on the Conservative side, rather than the progressive side".

'My fault'

After it became clear the talks had failed, Mr Brown tendered his resignation and said he wished the next prime minister well.

In an emotional resignation statement outside Number Ten, Mr Brown thanked his staff, his wife Sarah and their children, who joined the couple as they left for Buckingham Palace.

Mr Brown said it had been "a privilege to serve" adding: "I loved the job not for its prestige, its titles and its ceremony - which I do not love at all. No, I loved the job for its potential to make this country I love fairer, more tolerant, more green, more democratic, more prosperous and more just - truly a greater Britain."

Gordon Brown: "Thank you and goodbye"

He also paid tribute to the courage of the armed forces, adding: "I will never forget all those who have died in honour and whose families today live in grief."

Later he thanked Labour activists and MPs for all their efforts and told them Labour's general election performance was "my fault, and my fault alone".

The Lib Dem and Conservative teams met for hours of negotiations at the Cabinet Office on Tuesday - four days after the UK general election resulted in a hung parliament.

The talks resumed after Lib Dem negotiators met a Labour team, which followed Mr Brown's announcement on Monday that he would step down as Labour leader by September.

But there were signs throughout the afternoon that the two parties - who together would still not command an overall majority in the House of Commons - would not reach a deal.

Source: BBC News

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Lol. I thought it said James Cameron.
So, is this guy any good? I don't focus on UK politics.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian Mosley despises this.

Hopefully he won't do a fuck job like the last Tory government, the man reminds me of a Bank Manager who only got a job because his Daddy owns a bank. Hoping Clegg can join him to turn things around.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gaydrian said:

Hopefully he won't do a fuck job like the last Tory government, the man reminds me of a Bank Manager who only got a job because his Daddy owns a bank. Hoping Clegg can join him to turn things around.

Actually Cameron got a job at Tory HQ because his dad put a word in for him.

Personally this man is against everything I beleive in. He comes from a narrow social base and his political ideas are judgemental and insane. The Big society philosphy is bullshit. Here's a damning Tory article Admittidly Hari is on the centre-left.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaydrian said:

This!

I was really hoping for Labour - Lib Dem coalition because I'd prefer Brown over that chump in a suit...

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
lol, onservative.

In other news,
ohnoes.png

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why is everyone hating on Cameron, I love him, I've read the Tory manifesto and its not that bad, its actually very similar to Labour and Lib Dem, and Nick Clegg and David Cameron would be a great team, I'm only 16 but I'm very interested in politics.

Yes I know that in the past Tory have ruined the country and that they are not perfect but they are a damn sight better than labour and for once I can trust Cameron, the things he is doing may not be the best ways of sorting the country but at least he's going to get them done. I do hope that they take into account the main points that Lib Dem were putting forward like the voting reform as I don't think the way in which the voting works is fair, you could have a huge majority of votes but these could be split throughout the country and so the seat are never won, where as there may be less say Labour voters but all in one place so that these votes count towards winning that specific seat

Now yes the country is in a state and no matter what anyone says it going to stay like this for a while, even the best leaders couldn't sort this with ease so why don't we just give Cameron some time and hopefully him, his party and the Lib Dems can show us that what they said is truth and not just lies to get us to vote

taken

Trophies
XP
Country
Can not wait another general election in a years time. By then the tory's and lib dem f**k up britain.

Every party lie to get them in power. Once the in power they don't care about the general public only themselves, what they want to do.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Calafas said:
danny600kill said:
Why is everyone hating on Cameron, I love him, I've read the Tory manifesto and its not that bad, its actually very similar to Labour and Lib Dem

Might want to do a bit of re-reading there

I have, the ideas are not that different, it the way they plan to carry it out is different and also the way in which they will find the money for it, but if you really want me to re-read it I will just for you
tongue.gif

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
giratina16 said:
We're all doomed with that conservative twat in power, it seems everyone has forgotten Thatcher. We'll soon regret it.
And you seem to have forgotten that its been almost 30 years since then! The party will be almost entirely different now!

Calafas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
danny600kill said:
Calafas said:
danny600kill said:
Why is everyone hating on Cameron, I love him, I've read the Tory manifesto and its not that bad, its actually very similar to Labour and Lib Dem

Might want to do a bit of re-reading there

I have, the ideas are not that different, it the way they plan to carry it out is different and also the way in which they will find the money for it, but if you really want me to re-read it I will just for you
tongue.gif

Haha, but the way they plan to find the money is kind of the issue, isnt it?
tongue.gif

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
giratina16 said:
We're all doomed with that conservative twat in power, it seems everyone has forgotten Thatcher. We'll soon regret it.

You see, this is just a common response from everyone, it is not true, we can't judge everything on the past, Cameron is not Thatcher and there polices have changed, if they are so bad and going to ruin the country why would the majority of voters choose them.

Can we please just give them some time, they have just come into power and there has never been a coalition with Lib Dem ( Former Liberal ) and Conservatives so give them a chance, if they ruin the country even more than it is now then yes I will admit I was wrong but for now he's not done anything wrong.

@Calafas : That is why I am saying give them a chance, they will try to do there best and hopefully this will save the country, yes they will do things that don't work and people argue with but so did labour and every other party in the past, people are worrying that the country is going to be in ruins, the NHS will be gone and everyone will be poor but it won't happen. Cameron is keeping the NHS as he said it would be a idiotic thing to take it away, he has also said he appreciates what Labour have done for the country and I'm sure ( unless he does something really dramatic ) that the country will be fine, or at least won't get any worse

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
danny600kill said:
giratina16 said:

You see, this is just a common response from everyone, it is not true, we can't judge everything on the past, Cameron is not Thatcher and there polices have changed, if they are so bad and going to ruin the country why would the majority of voters choose them.

Can we please just give them some time, they have just come into power and there has never been a coalition with Lib Dem ( Former Liberal ) and Conservatives so give them a chance, if they ruin the country even more than it is now then yes I will admit I was wrong but for now he's not done anything wrong.

He's been Prime Minister for hours and has done NOTHING yet. I expect this to be a trend with him (doing nothing).

QUOTE(Calafas @ May 11 2010, 10:42 PM)
Haha, but the way they plan to find the money is kind of the issue, isnt it?
tongue.gif

A lot of public sector jobs are unnecessary and were made by people to allow their friends to get onto the government payroll, they can easily be scrapped as most people with public sector jobs don't even do anything and just waste time, maybe people getting fired is what they need for others to start doing their damn job again.

That and cutting off all the funding going to Labours dumb schemes.

Oh, plus I'd rather have small cuts now rather than huge cuts (to greek proportions?) later on.

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
danny600kill said:
giratina16 said:

Yeah their policies have changed like giving £200,000 to the 3000 richest people in the country, oh and making everyone pay college/university tuition fees, lowering the national minimum wage to just £2.10 an hour. I suppose the only consolation is that coalition governments don't tend to last long. I'll never give the Tory's a chance, how could I relate to a man that is worth £33 million.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm pretty skeptical of Cameron being PM. I have a long standing loathing for the Tories simply because I was part of the Thatcher generation and remember the damage she did to both our country and our way of life. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that highly of New Labour either and I think Brown was a weak corporate pandering sock puppet. For now it'll be a case of wait and see, if Cameron starts to cause too many problems hopefully the British public will actually get off their arses and do something about it like we used to in the 80's and early 90's. For far too long we've been too willing to just sit at home watching telly hoping the problems will just be solved for us. Hopefully Cameron isn't just going to take us back to Thatchers ideals, which were basically Regans ideals, which were basically corporations ideals.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Nick Clegg shouldn't have entered the coalition... Lib Dems and Labour always had far more in common than Tories. Helping tories pass their legislations is not of "national interest", I believe the Lib Dems are the least corrupted of the 3 and could have been a great judge of both sides' legislations of they remained neutral. Oh well, but this was expected, Nick Clegg has to protect the party's interest as well.

But at least, with him as deputy, Lib Dems may get a better chance next election.

Also:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU