CTGP-R's invasive DRM

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I sincerely apologize to @PabloMK7 for bashing on CTGP-7 for locking the rosalina menu.

Because the fact that outright banning ANY AND ALL EMULATORS from running the mod is outright insane. You first need a real Wii ($100 used, who knows how much is it new) and a disc of MKWii, which goes for $50 USED and $130 NEW. And that used Wii needs to not be banned from Wiimmfi by its previous owner to use online services.

Not to mention that Wiimmfi already does have anti-cheat, and the only way to log on is by obtaining an unbanned Wii NAND SOMEHOW (mine came from a kind guy that gave me theirs) and then waiting 7 days for confirmation, making bans much more impactful.

Last edited by Ondrashek06,
Reactions: orangy57

mynameisjeff

Trophies
XP
Country
Jersey
shopgoodwill has decent prices on Wiis. I would say obtaining the disc is the hardest part but I highly recommend that site even though I disagree with their ethics, they have a consistently fresh Wii inventory and you can absolutely nab both; you just need to maintain a watchful eye over the listings.

Hope that helps you in your search, it took me a couple weeks myself but I was able to get everything (plus a copy of Brawl and a mario wiimote) for under £100

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still don't understand the logic behind keeping CTGP-R behind a paywall for new players, luckily I still have a wii and my original copy of mkwii but I means that I can't play CTGP on my PC or literally anything else that could easily run the game through Dolphin. When I went away to college I left all my consoles behind since they take up too much space, and that means that I can't play CTGP until I head back home for the winter.

I think the DRM is to avoid legal issues, but if Nintendo was ever actually planning on taking down CTGP-R, they'd C&D it regardless of the DRM. If they hate homebrew and hypothetically had CTGP in their sights, why would they care if THE HOMEBREW APPLICATION has a disc check or not?

Last edited by orangy57,
Reactions: SylverReZ

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What?
I don't think the reason why CTGP-R is closed to emulators is because of money.

I think it's to prevent on-line cheating.
Also, the 7day waiting period is precisely for that.

But what surprises me the most is, really that's what a Wii & Mario Kart Wii costs nowadays?
😮

Makes me consider to sell my never banned, perfectly hacked Wii (can use USB LOADER GX and CFG USB LOADER without problems + USB 2.0 Support) with my og nearly unused Mario Kart Wii game.

(though now that I remember, had to change the game's case for a DVD one because the original case broke for heavy use 🤔)

Reactions: SylverReZ

Nix_Lon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Because the fact that outright banning ANY AND ALL EMULATORS from running the mod is outright insane. You first need a real Wii ($100 used, who knows how much is it new) and a disc of MKWii, which goes for $50 USED and $130 NEW. And that used Wii needs to not be banned from Wiimmfi by its previous owner to use online services.
First, every Dolphin emulator is shipped with the same default NAND, which means if one is banned, every Dolphin emulator with the same default NAND is affected as well unless that user replaces it with a different, unique one (legit Wii NAND dump).

Second, CTGP-R v1.02 is the only latest version that works via Dolphin, later versions (v1.03) have invasive countermeasures on emulators. I'm not sure if CTGP-R v1.02 has Wiimmfi support though.

For a Wii unit alone, it's goes between $10 - $60 (I bought three (3) Wii units for $10 - $20) but it may vary where you live, I
guess.

Also yeah, Mario Kart Wii goes mostly between $20 - $40, I think it's an anti-cheat, anti-piracy feature or both.
Weird countermeasure.

Not to mention that Wiimmfi already does have anti-cheat, and the only way to log on is by obtaining an unbanned Wii NAND SOMEHOW (mine came from a kind guy that gave me theirs) and then waiting 7 days for confirmation, making bans much more impactful.
If I really recall correctly there is a software that specifically edits/randomize the default Dolphin NAND to work in Wiimmfi (incl. MKWii w/ 7-day confirmation) with no issues/bans and you don't need a legit Wii NAND dump to do it as I've did that several times during 2017 - 2018 when I used to not have a real Wii unit.

I could kinda see why the CTGP-R devs are paranoid over cheaters since there are many options to circumvent them but the countermeasure on Dolphin alone is beyond me besides MKWii online desync issues (which've been fixed already).

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Honestly, they should use the DRM *just* for the online aspect of the game. I don't really care about online, yet I can't play CTGP-R and I won't for years. It sucks enormously, it's terrible.

CTGP-R's DRM actually terribly sucks, not gonna lie it's an awesome hack of MKWii and it will be playable for everyone if they didn't had to apply their *literally OVERPOWERED* DRM...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1