• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Covid-19 vaccine

Will you get the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 500 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 245 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
better yet if you are sick stay home.
Remember how covid can spread asymptomatically?
I wonder how you prevent the spread of a disease if you don't know you have it? (vaccines. Which can reduce spread since you have less of a viral load)
So in effect, by not doing your part regarding getting a vaccination, you might as well be effectively coughing in everyone's faces.
Post automatically merged:

How does that prove I didn't have it? In all it says is that the CDC which doesn't really concern me as I am not American are prioritizing access to covid vaccines for type 1 and 2 diabetics.
https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/library/reports/reportcard/diabetes-and-covid19.html

"Adults with some underlying medical conditions, such as cancer, heart conditions, chronic lung diseases, and diabetes, are more likely than others to become severely ill if infected with COVID-19.29 As a result, they are more likely to need hospitalization, be admitted into an intensive care unit, need a ventilator to help them breathe, or die"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8012080/

"The weighted prevalence of mortality in hospitlized COVID-19 patients with DM (20.0 %, 95 % CI: 15.0–26.0; I2, 96.8 %) was 82 % (1.82-time) higher than that in non-DM patients (11.0 %, 95 % CI: 5.0–16.0; I2, 99.3 %)."

The reason he doubts you is because people with diabetes were almost 2x more likely to experience fatal complications, or hospitalizations. In other words, you have extreme luck on your side, that, or really good friends.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
…out of which statistically the majority is accounted for by the elderly. I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove.

The ONS stats are all broken down by age group and are scaled per capita, so I'm unsure what your rebuttal is here - can't we look at elderly people and see which cohort has higher mortality?

In your example, odds have dropped significantly.

You claimed a 50% risk reduction, but that is comparing a scenario where 0% of the population was jabbed to a scenario where 100% of the population is jabbed. This assumes 0% of the population would get jabbed voluntarily. If say 90% were already jabbed voluntarily, then introducing the mandate would only result in a very small risk reduction, since the classroom would only be transitioning from 90% jabbed to 100% jabbed. That's what I was getting at there.

“Unvaccinated” is not a protected class...I would *only* run afoul of anti-discrimination laws if your vaccination status was a result of...religious belief

Interesting, so you believe that being jabbed gives you special privileges in society like being able to buy essential goods and services, and that being religious gives you special privileges of being able to force others to serve you.

Well religious beliefs are just beliefs, I would say. I don't see why certain beliefs would grant privileges and others wouldn't. It's not like people can change their beliefs anyway. It's not like I can wake up tomorrow and decide I'm going to believe that some religion is true, or that I'm a threat to others.

In my view the only valid reason for having a mandate is if not having it would result in some significant or unacceptably high risk level. But you dispute this on the basis that...

You cannot force me to engage in a business transaction with you.

In that case it's my religious belief that you should serve me. I believe in a religion called rationalism that says vaccine mandates are unjustified. Also I'm sexually repulsed at being jabbed so it's part of my sexual identity now.

Federal vaccination guidelines in my country say that valid consent must be obtained before vaccination, where "valid consent" must be "free of coercion, pressure, or manipulation". In this case how would you as a private business owner fire me for not being jabbed? I'd go to the clinic, tell them I want to be jabbed because Foxi4 is going to fire me otherwise, and they'd have to say "sorry we can only jab people who aren't being coerced". I'd return to work the next day and explain what happened and that I tried to do as you told, but they refused. How is it my fault if everyone refuses to jab me? If it's not my fault that others won't jab me, then I'd claim unfair dismissal as I followed your orders and instructions. Are you going to require that I lie to the clinic that I'm not being coerced?

Last edited by NoobletCheese,

Deleted member 586536

Trophies
XP
Interesting, so you believe that being jabbed gives you special privileges in society like being able to buy essential goods and services
Hate to say it but uh, plenty of jobs require you to have up to date vaccinations. Schools is one of them, pretty sure any job regarding patient work or the elderly, also requires it. And that's been long in play.

So it's not exactly a belief.
Edit:
For clarity sake, it's not even like the government enforces vaccines on the companies most of the time, it's on the companies for the most part.

bennet321

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The reason he doubts you is because people with diabetes were almost 2x more likely to experience fatal complications, or hospitalizations. In other words, you have extreme luck on your side, that, or really good friends.

The reason he doubts me and you also by the sound of it is it does not fit your narrative. Go outside for a change and talk to people instead of reading so called science which can be completely debunked just by paying attention to what you can see with your own eyes. There are plenty of people who did not get vaccinated who either lead terrible lifestyles with regards to health or people who were already sick who are just fine.

• Haha
Reactions: Kunty

Deleted member 586536

Trophies
XP
The reason he doubts me and you also by the sound of it is it does not fit your narrative. Go outside for a change and talk to people instead of reading so called science which can be completely debunked just by paying attention to what you can see with your own eyes. There are plenty of people who did not get vaccinated who either lead terrible lifestyles with regards to health or people who were already sick who are just fine.
Yeah, and that's because it's all down to probability. So no it doesn't "debunk" my point of view. It debunks his point of view, since while I normally agree with him, the angle he came at you was too sharp.
Additionally "Believe with what you see with your own eyes"
Yeah I do, I've seen friends die due to covid, and they didn't take it seriously. And some friends of friends, I have met, are still dealing with long covid. Most of the people I know who did take the vaccine, either were unscathed, or got it but were okay. And the people who didn't, got it a lot worse.
Edit:
Just happens in your specific and a few others, that you managed to somehow beat the odds. But the odds really are not stacked in your favor.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,
Reactions: KingVamp

bennet321

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just happens in your specific and a few others, that you managed to somehow beat the odds. But the odds really are not stacked in your favor.
Well this is how I know your reasoning is complete bunk. You know two things about me and that is that I am type 1 diabetic and my age. So you would have no idea exactly what my odds were. For one you have no idea how good or bad my diabetic control is which plays a huge part in how much diabetes effects other areas of your health(if it is very good it can be very little). You have no idea if I drink, smoke, do drugs or eat takeaway everyday. So how on earth could you possibly know what my risk was?

Also most people I know who took the vaccine are sick on and off all the time. I have not had so much as a cold in 3 years. Not taking the clot shot was the best decision of my life

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this is how I know your reasoning is complete bunk. You know two things about me and that is that I am type 1 diabetic and my age. So you would have no idea exactly what my odds were. For one you have no idea how good or bad my diabetic control is which plays a huge part in how much diabetes effects other areas of your health(if it is very good it can be very little). You have no idea if I drink, smoke, do drugs or eat takeaway everyday. So how on earth could you possibly know what my risk was?

Probably the biggest risk factor is what you do for a living. A student who spends all day in a classroom breathing the same air as 30 other people, and then cycles between rooms every 60 minutes to get exposed to another 30 people, is at much higher risk than someone like eg. a tradesman who works outdoors or spends most of their day in utility rooms fixing things, or someone who works from home etc. etc.

Reactions: bennet321

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does that prove I didn't have it? In all it says is that the CDC which doesn't really concern me as I am not American are prioritizing access to covid vaccines for type 1 and 2 diabetics.
You're just making shit up. Fuck off for contributing to vaccine misinformation.

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get too angry. You wouldn't want to have a heart attack. They seem to be much more common as of late for some reason
I can be angry at you dumb as fuck antivaxxers for making the situation what it is.

It's an instance where your stupidity affects others. Not dissimilar to getting angry at drunk drivers.

Their body their choice though right 🙄

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's an instance where your stupidity affects others. Not dissimilar to getting angry at drunk drivers

You allow half of the drivers on the road to be drunk, so you forfeit your right to complain about drunk drivers as if they're so terrible.

Imagine people could take a breathalyser test to prove they're not drunk, kind of like a RAT test or something.

Imagine people could take injections that protected them against drunk drivers.

Now that your drunk driver analogy has been shattered into a million tiny little stupid insignificant pieces, let's have a look at what YOU'RE doing - injecting millions of people with new substances and hoping that nobody dies. Kind of like playing Russian Roulette with their lives, which is pretty much what drunk driving is. Actually it's even worse, because a drunk driver doesn't know for certain that they'll kill someone, whereas you DO know that some people are going to die from your injections. Better hope 3 or more people don't die cause that would satisfy the definition of mass murder according to the Department of Justice.

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You allow half of the drivers on the road to be drunk, so you forfeit your right to complain about drunk drivers as if they're so terrible.

Imagine people could take a breathalyser test to prove they're not drunk, kind of like a RAT test or something.

Imagine people could take injections that protected them against drunk drivers.

Now that your drunk driver analogy has been shattered into a million tiny little stupid insignificant pieces, let's have a look at what YOU'RE doing - injecting millions of people with new substances and hoping that nobody dies. Kind of like playing Russian Roulette with their lives, which is pretty much what drunk driving is. Actually it's even worse, because a drunk driver doesn't know for certain that they'll kill someone, whereas you DO know that some people are going to die from your injections. Better hope 3 or more people don't die cause that would satisfy the definition of mass murder according to the Department of Justice.
The fuck is this word salad? All you said was a bunch of unsubstantiated nonsense to justify your small brain fear of a needle poke.

This site is even sadder than I thought. Dear god. When did GBAtemp become hard, far-left?
I guess due to common sense and intelligence, which you right wingers have demonstrated a severe lack of since 2015.

Reactions: KingVamp

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The ONS stats are all broken down by age group and are scaled per capita, so I'm unsure what your rebuttal is here - can't we look at elderly people and see which cohort has higher mortality?
You can look at whatever you want. I already know these stats.
You claimed a 50% risk reduction, but that is comparing a scenario where 0% of the population was jabbed to a scenario where 100% of the population is jabbed. This assumes 0% of the population would get jabbed voluntarily. If say 90% were already jabbed voluntarily, then introducing the mandate would only result in a very small risk reduction, since the classroom would only be transitioning from 90% jabbed to 100% jabbed. That's what I was getting at there.
I didn’t claim anything, I made an observation based on what you said. You made a claim, and you’re trying to back out of it, even though it was a hypothetical scenario. You made it up, not me.
Interesting, so you believe that being jabbed gives you special privileges in society like being able to buy essential goods and services, and that being religious gives you special privileges of being able to force others to serve you.
Why are you bringing “society” into this? Take the Joker make-up off - you’re trying to enter my property, that I own. “Society” is not entitled to it, to my goods or to my services - I’m not your slave. I decide who gets to enter and who doesn’t, based on whatever rules I decide, including completely arbitrary ones. I am not in violation of the law so long as those rules are not enforced selectively in a discriminatory fashion. “No shoes, no shirt, no service” is the exact same premise as “no mask, no service” or “no vaccine passport, no service”. Business owners are entitled to set up such policies if they believe it is beneficial to their business to do so. Whether you like it or not is immaterial, it’s not your property to manage. I’m sorry if that doesn’t align with whatever goofy moral compass you’ve invented for yourself, but I have good news for you - my refusal to allow you entry to my premises shows you a niche in the market. You can open a bakery yourself and scoop up all the customers that I’ve ejected. This is all in theory since I’ve already stated that I’m against vaccine passports on principle, that’s one aspect you’ve convenient glossed over. I wouldn’t implement such a policy, I’m merely stating that business owners are entitled to do so if they so choose.
Well religious beliefs are just beliefs, I would say. I don't see why certain beliefs would grant privileges and others wouldn't. It's not like people can change their beliefs anyway. It's not like I can wake up tomorrow and decide I'm going to believe that some religion is true, or that I'm a threat to others.
Free practice of religion is protected under the 1st and religious discrimination is prohibited in multiple ways. As far as the U.S. is concerned, this discussion is pointless - the law of the land already governs this.
In my view the only valid reason for having a mandate is if not having it would result in some significant or unacceptably high risk level. But you dispute this on the basis that...
There’s no mandate. Private business owners can decide how their businesses operate. Government stooges are not knocking door to door forcing anyone to take the vaccine, that’s not a thing. Mandates have been rejected as a possible remedy to the pandemic in most civilised countries because they infringe upon a patient’s right to choice.
In that case it's my religious belief that you should serve me. I believe in a religion called rationalism that says vaccine mandates are unjustified. Also I'm sexually repulsed at being jabbed so it's part of my sexual identity now.
Very funny. Already addressed, too - argue it in court. Rules apply to everyone, including the religion you made up on the spot that is not recognised in any way.
Federal vaccination guidelines in my country say that valid consent must be obtained before vaccination, where "valid consent" must be "free of coercion, pressure, or manipulation". In this case how would you as a private business owner fire me for not being jabbed? I'd go to the clinic, tell them I want to be jabbed because Foxi4 is going to fire me otherwise, and they'd have to say "sorry we can only jab people who aren't being coerced". I'd return to work the next day and explain what happened and that I tried to do as you told, but they refused. How is it my fault if everyone refuses to jab me? If it's not my fault that others won't jab me, then I'd claim unfair dismissal as I followed your orders and instructions. Are you going to require that I lie to the clinic that I'm not being coerced?
You’re moving goalposts - I thought you wanted to shop, now you work for me? Very interesting indeed. If you listen closely, you can hear the distinct sound of back-pedalling. This is a completely different scenario because there’s a pre-existing business relationship and a contract - changing the terms of that contract in a way that would effectively invalidate it, or make the employee unqualified for the position, could potentially be unlawful depending on the circumstances. There are certain industries where such a requirement is justified and others where it is not. Now, if you were seeking a job at my business, things are very different - there is no pre-existing agreement and it absolutely is up to me to decide what the terms of engagement are - you can accept them and we can shake hands on it or you can refuse them and we can go our separate ways. For the record, “having a job” is not an entitlement - you’re not being coerced to do anything. You not being able to get a freely available jab sounds like a you problem to me, as far as my jurisdiction is concerned. You also used the word “guidelines”. You’ll notice that I used the word “law”, which happens to be on my side.

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you said was a bunch of unsubstantiated nonsense

There is actually no burden on me to substantiate anything.

The burden is on the person who wants to go around jabbing people without their consent.

So go and find me some randomised controlled trials comparing the VE against infection in jabbed vs unjabbed.

I already know of a couple cited by the CDC, but I'm not going to do the leg work for you.

fear of a needle poke

That's a very disingenuous way of characterizing it. What you actually mean is you want to inject low level machine code into my cells, multiple times over the span of a year. This is like injecting instructions into your OS kernel and thinking it's no big deal. And there is no checksum to verify the all the code got manufactured correctly.

Even if the risk were very low, the chances of me getting into a traffic accident with 0.08 blood alcohol is very low, yet there is still a harsh penalty for taking the risk.

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is actually no burden on me to substantiate anything.

The burden is on the person who wants to go around jabbing people without their consent.

So go and find me some randomised controlled trials comparing the VE against infection in jabbed vs unjabbed.

I already know of a couple cited by the CDC, but I'm not going to do the leg work for you.

That's a very disingenuous way of characterizing it. What you actually mean is you want to inject low level machine code into my cells, multiple times over the span of a year. This is like injecting instructions into your OS kernel and thinking it's no big deal. And there is no checksum to verify the all the code got manufactured correctly.

Even if the risk were very low, the chances of me getting into a traffic accident with 0.08 blood alcohol is very low, yet there is still a harsh penalty for taking the risk.
A great example as to why I continue to say a reasonable or intelligent discussion simply isn't possible with an antivaxxer.

They by nature of being an antivaxxer (yes even if they're only against covid vaccines) is to be an unreasonable and an unintelligent person.

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A great example as to why I continue to say a reasonable or intelligent discussion simply isn't possible with an antivaxxer.

They by nature of being an antivaxxer (yes even if they're only against covid vaccines) is to be an unreasonable and an unintelligent person.

I'm simply pro consent. I don't understand why you would want other people deciding what genetic material goes inside you, it's really quite bizarre. You must be really scared of me or something.
Post automatically merged:

you’re trying to enter my property, that I own.

I don't want to enter your property. The problem is you're part of a minority (business owners) who have a monopoly on all the essential goods and services, and you are withholding them from certain groups of people based on arbitrary and capricous reasoning (or simply no reason at all, as you've said).

I doubt you'd accept it if society withheld essential goods and services from you (you seem to acknowledge this by stating you're against passports).

Your position may entail that Weinstein-like bosses could threaten their employees with job loss for not performing sexual acts on them, but I guess you'll just make another arbitrary exception here, as you've done with religion, race and gender. What's the point in protecting these groups if at the end of the day you still allow discrimination based on any or no reasoning at all?

I'm all for less regulation and more liberty, but there is a limit where you're allowing people to harm others in the name of liberty, that's where I draw the line.

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm simply pro consent. I don't understand why you would want other people deciding what genetic material goes inside you, it's really quite bizarre. You must be really scared of me or something.
You antivaxxers often confuse scared with mocking and putting down. I'm putting you down because you choose to make stupid choices that affected others around you.

• Haha
Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

stanna

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't believe we are having this discussion again, covid is and has always been bullshit, let them take there shots if they want, it gets rid of all the stupid people.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People that don't do anything, let alone actively make things worse, don't seem to care about the consent of people that don't want a virus going around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Don't ask how I know that's in the works lol