Homebrew Cover Collections for Emulators With Cover Support

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I did just that and it works great for zipped roms (and all roms). I modified coverflow to add the first folder of the path to the rom at the beginning of the rom cover name like this: snes9xgx-earthworm jim.zip.png and genplusgx-earthworm jim.zip.png. obviously this works if you have your roms in separate root folders like this: snes9xgx/roms/ and genplusgx/roms/ but if you put all your roms under the same root folder like this it won't work: roms/snes9xgx/roms/ and roms/genplusgx/roms/ because then you end up with roms-earthworm jim.zip.png for both. The plugin name or magic# wouln't work if you have multiple plugins that use the same roms. Well it would but you would have double cache images (one for each plugin).

One thing I did like about this was when I viewed the contents of my wiiflow/cache folder I could easily see all my snes9xgx together and all my genplusgx together.
Isn't there a plugin name in the INI that would both be different for each plugin like the magic number but still be easy to read like the folder name? I don't know how accessible it is from that particular place in the code but you could always use that to avoid problems that depend on people's specific folder structure.

EDIT : OR just use the same coverfolder= name. That way plugins that might share a cover folder (like wii64 / not62) would also share a cache files.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't there a plugin name in the INI that would both be different for each plugin like the magic number but still be easy to read like the folder name? I don't know how accessible it is from that particular place in the code but you could always use that to avoid problems that depend on people's specific folder structure.
yes there is but actually now that I've thought about it more there really isn't any need to change the code for coverflow.

1. most roms unzipped are only 1 or 2 MB or even less. which means 1,000 games roughly equals 1GB or 2GB. That's not very much (nothing really to worry about). Plus you can leave most of them zipped and just unzip the ones that conflict.
2. It's a little too late to fix it. Most people have already set up there roms and covers a long time ago and most likely won't want to change them or do them all over again.

DaveZ_227451

≡≡ Big Kid ≡≡
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I made my setup very modular on my wii and the pc backup, so it would take all of maybe 30 minutes to redo if it would mean I could have
Wiiflow display more user-friendly names for some sets! :-P

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
2. It's a little too late to fix it. Most people have already set up there roms and covers a long time ago and most likely won't want to change them or do them all over again.
Not that it really matters much (most people wouldn't be looking through their cache folder anyhow or care how it looks), but I don't think a change like this would make anyone need to redo anything. It would only change the names for cache files and, at worst, just leave a bunch of old ones behind from the previous naming convention, but those could be deleted.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that it really matters much (most people wouldn't be looking through their cache folder anyhow or care how it looks), but I don't think a change like this would make anyone need to redo anything. It would only change the names for cache files and, at worst, just leave a bunch of old ones behind from the previous naming convention, but those could be deleted.
Sounds like you guys really want this. I guess for those people who already unzipped all their roms and named their covers accordingly this wouldn't affect them - they could leave them like they are, right? But it might help newbies who don't know about the problem with zipped roms. and for non newbies who have their roms zipped still on their pc they could easily use the renaming tool mastershoes suggest to fix the covers names.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Sounds like you guys really want this. I guess for those people who already unzipped all their roms and named their covers accordingly this wouldn't affect them - they could leave them like they are, right? But it might help newbies who don't know about the problem with zipped roms. and for non newbies who have their roms zipped still on their pc they could easily use the renaming tool mastershoes suggest to fix the covers names.
Oh, so does this also change the naming convention for the cover files? I thought it only changed the naming of the cache files based on the same cover images as before and just tack on the cover folder name. :wink:

Like I said, it isn't that important. I was just confused by your response but now I see why.
I had assumed that it would work like
/boxcovers/fceugx/mario.nes.png
would become
/cache/fceugx-mario.nes.wfc
Which would be no work at all to the user but if the image file now has to also be
/covers/fceugx/fceugx-mario.nes.png
I can see now why you wouln't want to do it. That would definitely both be more work than just unzipping a few and noobs would find the naming convention all that much more complicated.
I would say don't do it in that case.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, so does this also change the naming convention for the cover files? I thought it only changed the naming of the cache files based on the same cover images as before and just tack on the cover folder name. :wink:

Like I said, it isn't that important. I was just confused by your response but now I see why.
I had assumed that it would work like
/boxcovers/fceugx/mario.nes.png
would become
/cache/fceugx-mario.nes.wfc
Which would be no work at all to the user but if the image file now has to also be
/covers/fceugx/fceugx-mario.nes.png
I can see now why you wouln't want to do it. That would definitely both be more work than just unzipping a few and noobs would find the naming convention all that much more complicated.
I would say don't do it in that case.
no the user wouldn't have to rename the covers. The folder name would not be tacked on to the cover name. only the cache file

the only problem is for those that already unzipped their roms and wanted to go back to using zipped roms they would need to rename their covers by changing the file extension before .png back to .zip for all their covers. But like I said they can just leave them unzipped and do nothing too.

Reactions: Maxternal

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can someone please upload their setup for fceugx & snes9xGX???? Preferably one with the 3d box coverflow.... ive tried linking the boxcovers but it alludes me

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can someone please upload their setup for fceugx & snes9xGX???? Preferably one with the 3d box coverflow.... ive tried linking the boxcovers but it alludes me
Here's my set up if you or anybody else wants it. All folders/sub folders are placed on my SD card.
Just don't thank me tho, thank everybody else involved with WF cuz I was once in the same situation and they came thru for me.
This is just me paying it forward.
Hope this helps.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1427k03933lh4rp

Reactions: Sanoblue

DaveZ_227451

≡≡ Big Kid ≡≡
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How does this look for a a cover? been trying to make my doom wads look nice in a flow :)

doomwad.png

Reactions: Maxternal

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That looks pretty good but the spine and back text could use abit more work. <-- I swear I'm not bashing, just my honest opinion.
Check mine out if you hadn't already. I got full covers for Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Chex Quest, GoldenEye 007, and Duke Nukem.
I want to make the rest for the Doom Mods but I don't have enough material for those and I don't want to just throw something together and look sloppy.
http://www.mediafire.com/?yiluwwj6f9c5ca1

dj_darkside007

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
i may be retarded and probably making a simple mistake...but i cant get any covers to show...got the emu's seperated, and setup on buttons...but no covers...here's an example of one of mine...

[PLUGIN]
magic=56424158
coverColor=fcff00
coverFolder=wiiflow/boxcovers/vbagx
fileTypes=.agb|.gba|.bin|.elf|.mb|.dmg|.gb|.gbc|.cgb|.sgb|.zip|.7z
romDir=vbagx/roms
dolFile=vbagx-mod12.dol
bannerSound=GBA.ogg
displayname=VbaGX
consoleCoverID=nintendo
arguments={device}:/{path}|{name}|{loader}

i miss something?

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[PLUGIN]
magic=56424158
coverColor=fcff00
coverFolder=vbagx
romDir=vbagx/roms
dolFile=vbagx-mod12.dol
bannerSound=GBA.ogg
displayname=VbaGX
consoleCoverID=nintendo

Try this.

DaveZ_227451

≡≡ Big Kid ≡≡
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@ToddofWar420
Yes I do agree they need some work LOL. I checked out yours and they are super, BUT, I am trying to keep with the spirit of the fact I am now playing these golden
oldies on the Wii system which is why I am trying to make them look like a Wii game title :-)

Here is an update with Doom2 added.....

DOOM1
doomwad-1.png

DOOM2
doomIIwad.png

Still needs a bit of polish perhaps, but the ground work is there :-P

CHEERS

Reactions: MassiveRican

dj_darkside007

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
[PLUGIN]
magic=56424158
coverColor=fcff00
coverFolder=vbagx
romDir=vbagx/roms
dolFile=vbagx-mod12.dol
bannerSound=GBA.ogg
displayname=VbaGX
consoleCoverID=nintendo

Try this.

tried that too and still nothing...

leftwingzero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mastershoes, loving the covers, thank you so much for your hard time consuming work. I've been away from updating my Wii for months now, and am finally catching up while waiting for my Wii U to come in the mail. Anyway, could you give me a list of the songs you have that play on your Wii Flow menu? They are pretty awesome, and I have also been putting classic music from my favorite games growing up. Your songs would be a great addition to my list. I don't need links if you can't give them to me, I'm sure I can find them myself if all you can give me are the song titles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)