Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather see Counter Strike

Agreed. CS would be way better than AA.

i will deagle you all in CS:DS...wahahaha

Hmm It could happen. Let me learn DS programming enough to put in 3d models and I'll create a real looking picture.
But yeah I'd rather see CS or UT:GOTY...maybe even Tribes.

Does anyone remember the specs for CS 1.5 and below?? I mean, those graphics were good for 1997 and all, but with maybe a little less resolution, maps, texures...could it run on a ds? i'd learning programming just to help out how ever i could in it's development. UT or Tribes would be cool too. but I think both would require alot more resources and bring the framerate way way down. Plus i think you'd reach a larger crowd with CS.Â
yaynds.gif

okay, so what programmers/developers do i need to kidnap to make this happen?Â
ph34r.gif
or should i get the whole nintendo staff and chain them all to computers and whip them till it's perfect?Â
grog.gif

edit: should we start up a CS thread?

CS on the DS will be like the CS:2D versions.

why wouldnt cs:ds be able to be a little like metroid?

I agree that CS should be able to play like Metroid. The guys at steam are extremly good programers making it so people on low end machines can still enjoy the games so they should be able to port or make a CS game specifically for the DS. Dunno anything about homebrew however there is one problem steam would run into and thats how many people can play at the same time on Nintendo's server? The most I have done is 4....that's lame CS. What would be the MINIMUM about of players not to make CS:DS suck?

Graphics aren't everything. I hope you people realize that just because a game has crappy graphics doesn't mean it requires less power or whatever.

2 minimum and 18 max would be frickin sweet!! (32 would be better...but i'm dreaming)
2 for small maps like iceworld and such.

I for one and all for it, if it's possible! can anyone with programming knowledge either verify or discredit it?

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I am almost absolutely sure that the original Counter Strike or a version compatible with it won't ever run on the DS. However, there is really no argument against a special simplified DS version. Somebody would just have to make it.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way CS was made was for PCs, so a simple port wouldnt work out too easily.
However, I dont think there would really need to be THAT much lowerd down if your using the old version looks.
I never played the new CS games, just the old HL mod.
From what Ive seen it looks very possible for the DS
Heck, Metroid Prime DS looks better besides the lack of texture resolution.

CS is very doable on the DS. But simply porting it would be a big chore.
But you know, anyone that says its not possible doesnt really know in the first place.
Its possible, just alot of work.
It would be easier to just make a custom CS engine to take advatage of the DS system.
Some teaks here and there for performence.
You could put in the PC maps and models no problem. (thinking of the oriognal version here)
So if Steam decided to make a DS port or let another team try it, it would be very possible.
Only trouble is the engine that may need to be written from scratch since the PC engine was made for PCs and to take advantage of hardware.
So a special DS version would have to be made, however the rest of the game could be easily thrown in. Though some modifycations may have to be made to keep it running smooth. Since some tricks dont work well on other systems obvoiusly.

So ya, its really just a matter of doing it and all the work for it.
A port would be too hard, but a custom DS version in itself is very doable.
And the DS is very capable of handling a game like CS.
Theres really nothing that CS does that the DS cant run.
Ofcourse you cant get away with all the features and things with four megs of ram.
But its very doable anyway.
But a direct port isnt obvoiusly. (theres a reason why Doom ports take time to perfect you know, they arent perfect on the first release, its gotta be tweaked and recoded in order to run the data correctly. Its a differnt machine, things work a little differntly than a Dos/Windows OS running PC would.)

Now if they make a CS for DS (would have to be a special DS version obvoiusly) Id hope they put in a tag making feature.
With the DS touchscreen it would fit to be able to draw something to spray paint on junk xD
Though as a multiplayer game it'll need a One player mode in there too.
So atleast a mode with Bots will have to be made.

But still, doable, but not from PC portable. It'll have to be a differnt game on the DS.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't think using the original maps and models would work out. The DS doesn't do that many polygones and textures that big. A special DS version built from the ground up with a new engine would get it's own maps and models made anyway.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I know this would be illegal, but would it be possible to break down metroid enough to basically start with that engine?

nunofgs

Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
Counter Strike on the DS is simply not feasible. For one thing, Valve refuses to work with anything but Windows/DirectX. (people have been begging for a linux port since HL-1)

As for the technical bits, you'd have to re-do all the models, textures, even maps to optimize it for the DS.
Also CS is relying very heavily on DirectX to the point it would be easier to just write the whole thing from scratch. (ok maybe not from scratch but you get my point).

Maybe if we had the source code which will NEVER ever happen... even then, it'd have to be a brave fellow to undertake that kind of a project.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I liked the engine for Goldeneye DS as well, and it was easy and smooth.
The game itself kind of sucks but using that plain, simple FPS angine on the DS and adding custom maps could be a start.
Don't know about the code to enable Wifi, although I guess this is what everybody seem to be looking for.....

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nunofqs, CS works with OpenGL, DirectX, and there's another renderer. If you want to try to port something, get yourself a decompiler and hope the Nintendo FBI doesn't arrest you.
But IF someone decompiles Metroid, they could stick with the same engine, keep most of the models, and just make CS like textures, i mean: samus walking around looks like a terrorist with a gun, and nexus (i can't remember his name) looks like a CT, just fix a few textures and BAM! A CS with a very Metroid feel to it. Keep the gameplay engine, keep models, throw away textures, get rid of her ship... add a few weapons... make a money system... done.

nunofgs

Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
nunofqs, CS works with OpenGL, DirectX, and there's another renderer. If you want to try to port something, get yourself a decompiler and hope the Nintendo FBI doesn't arrest you.
But IF someone decompiles Metroid, they could stick with the same engine, keep most of the models, and just make CS like textures, i mean: samus walking around looks like a terrorist with a gun, and nexus (i can't remember his name) looks like a CT, just fix a few textures and BAM! A CS with a very Metroid feel to it. Keep the gameplay engine, keep models, throw away textures, get rid of her ship... add a few weapons... make a money system... done.

Yes, the Half-Life engine can render graphics with OpenGL but DirectX is also used for sound, 2d graphics, even keyboard input.

Unfortunately you have the wrong idea about decompiling. First of all, good luck trying to find/code a decompiler for DS roms. Even if there existed a decompiler, it would most likely not decompile to the point where it would recompile without problems. There would also be the huge problem of losing variable names, comments and other important information for people reading the code. Decompilation is dead. It died a few years ago when everyone agreed that you could code the same exact program faster than having to read decompiled code. Also, I don't know of any C decompiler that would give you valid code (ie, that would compile) for a more complex program.

No boys, sorry, it doesn't work that way. You'd need the entire source code plus someone crazy enough to take on the project.

KillerMiller

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.geocities.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I dont know, but CS is good on a PC with Mouse, no need for a DS Version.

My idea is a Nintendo FPS like Smash Brothers, think of Mario using fireballs, Donkey Kong throws bananas, Yoshis - eggs, Link using arrows and bombs and so on.
And the maps would be like Princess Castle, Metroid Cave or Wario,s Woods.

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The way CS was made was for PCs, so a simple port wouldnt work out too easily.
However, I dont think there would really need to be THAT much lowerd down if your using the old version looks.
I never played the new CS games, just the old HL mod.
From what Ive seen it looks very possible for the DS
Heck, Metroid Prime DS looks better besides the lack of texture resolution.

CS is very doable on the DS. But simply porting it would be a big chore.
But you know, anyone that says its not possible doesnt really know in the first place.
Its possible, just alot of work.
It would be easier to just make a custom CS engine to take advatage of the DS system.
Some teaks here and there for performence.
You could put in the PC maps and models no problem. (thinking of the oriognal version here)
So if Steam decided to make a DS port or let another team try it, it would be very possible.
Only trouble is the engine that may need to be written from scratch since the PC engine was made for PCs and to take advantage of hardware.
So a special DS version would have to be made, however the rest of the game could be easily thrown in. Though some modifycations may have to be made to keep it running smooth. Since some tricks dont work well on other systems obvoiusly.

So ya, its really just a matter of doing it and all the work for it.
A port would be too hard, but a custom DS version in itself is very doable.
And the DS is very capable of handling a game like CS.
Theres really nothing that CS does that the DS cant run.
Ofcourse you cant get away with all the features and things with four megs of ram.
But its very doable anyway.
But a direct port isnt obvoiusly. (theres a reason why Doom ports take time to perfect you know, they arent perfect on the first release, its gotta be tweaked and recoded in order to run the data correctly. Its a differnt machine, things work a little differntly than a Dos/Windows OS running PC would.)

Now if they make a CS for DS (would have to be a special DS version obvoiusly) Id hope they put in a tag making feature.
With the DS touchscreen it would fit to be able to draw something to spray paint on junk xD
Though as a multiplayer game it'll need a One player mode in there too.
So atleast a mode with Bots will have to be made.

But still, doable, but not from PC portable. It'll have to be a differnt game on the DS.

You geek. get a life u little cock. i wish that i could be you so i could kill myself and have a funeral with guests dressed as star troopers

Heinrisch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can't just everyone stop weining about the copyrights of steam and Valve? It has nothing to do with the possibilities of getting a CS like game to the DS.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I know this would be illegal, but would it be possible to break down metroid enough to basically start with that engine?

Metroids engine sucks. There are enough open engines around, too.
Can't just everyone stop weining about the copyrights of steam and Valve? It has nothing to do with the possibilities of getting a CS like game to the DS.

Well, it DOES have a lot to do with getting an actual CS game on the DS. If you are satisfied with just some FPS, get Doom, Heretic or Metroid.
You are forgetting the versions of HL1, HL2 and CS that are available for systems like: Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox...
amd you are forgetting that PS2 and xbox both can use OpenGL, while the DS cannot.
Why can't the DS use Open GL?
huh.gif

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking along the lines of pestering Steam to make a version from the ground up for the DS. It doesn't matter if they prefer to make shit for Window...people are motivated by money. Lots of it. How many Dses are there? Lots. How much good press does the DS have? Lots...how many more DSes will be sold? lots....Valve just needs a smack in the face, grab them by the back of the hair, stick their nose on the touch pad and say "look guys this shit works, its not just for 8 year olds to play Pokemon....grown ups and teenagers play this shit too so if you make the game, people will buy it, you will make a butt load of money...oh and you know what...make it good and people will buy DSes just for this god damn game. People LOVE the counter strike! I can see luch breaks at work being occupied with people saving hostages, kids in school secretly trying to defuse bombs.....the shit would be huge.....money...steam you know you want it so make that shit already and collect your god damn check.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E