Could an Nintendo 64 classic mini be the answer to n64 emulation?

cpjay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just got me wondering, hypethetically if Nintendo are to release a Nintendo 64 classic mini next year, could this be the answer to the current shitty state of n64 emulation?
If someone were able to dump this hypothetically n64 classic mini and develop it for windows then we could have the perfect emulator assuming Nintendo follow the same methods as the nes and snes classic minis.
Would beat playing a the blur of a mess original n64.
And then hopefully recreate the n64 mini with a raspberry Pi?
What do You guys recon?

the_gamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Because:
1. The emulators in NESC and SNESC are perfect and run every game smoothly without problems?
2. Reverse-Engineering is a piece of cake?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reason why N64 emulation is so difficult is cause of the complexity of the system.

Basically, don't expect N64 emulation to be perfect for another 10-15 years.
I highly doubt Nintendo will bring a N64 mini to the market but.. stranger things have happened.

johnbus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has been railing agaist emulation of all kinds for decades, and are only recently cashing in on them while hypocritically (allegedly) using ROMs, code, and techniques developed by their fans who try to preserve Nintendo games.

If a N64 Classic is ever released, I'm expecting it to be a stripped down and slightly modified PJ64. There's no reason to expect they are much better at emulating the thing than anyone else at this point.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reason why N64 emulation is so difficult is cause of the complexity of the system.

I highly doubt Nintendo will bring a N64 mini to the market but.. stranger things have happened.
I heard also it's because emulators mostly focused on playability and not accuracy.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There already is an answer, but not an emulating answer.

Buy a n64 and ever drive 64. It plays 99% of n64 roms 100% perfectly. Not through emulation, but native hardware. Sure there is a slight financial outlay, but the results are 99% perfect.

In regards to the n64 mini and it's ability to emulate n64 games, who knows?

Can someone fill me in as to how the wii/wii u emulate 64 games? Is the built in emulator in the wii/u custom made for the specific n64 games that are released on the nintendo shop? So if another non nintendo shop n64 is injected, the emulator isn't programmed to play that specific game and as such has poor emulation?

If the above is the case, I wouldn't hold out much hope for the n64 classic.

cpjay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Buy a n64 and ever drive 64. It plays 99% of n64 roms 100% perfectly. Not through emulation, but native hardware. Sure there is a slight financial outlay, but the results are 99% perfect.

Can someone fill me in as to how the wii/wii u emulate 64 games? Is the built in emulator in the wii/u custom made for the specific n64 games that are released on the nintendo shop? So if another non nintendo shop n64 is injected, the emulator isn't programmed to play that specific game and as such has poor emulation?

Yeah this is what I'm using. Only problem is the smeared image ahah which is why it would be great to have a n64 classic mini because that would deliver at least 720p without having to ultrahdmi mod costing an arm and a leg.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has been railing agaist emulation of all kinds for decades, and are only recently cashing in on them while hypocritically (allegedly) using ROMs, code, and techniques developed by their fans who try to preserve Nintendo games.

If a N64 Classic is ever released, I'm expecting it to be a stripped down and slightly modified PJ64. There's no reason to expect they are much better at emulating the thing than anyone else at this point.
They've already made their own emulators for the Wii and Wii U that play better than any PC emulator

But that being the case, I'm guessing that since those haven't been RE'd yet, a potential future N64 mini wouldn't be either

Reactions: KiiWii

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If the N64 Mini becomes a thing next year, I highly doubt it will be the holy grail of N64 emulation.
I mean... Just look at Nintendo's latest tries.

The Wii VC was really bare bones, only playing the basic games that you'd come to expect out of the machine.
Wii U VC was a step in the right direction, it has a really nice emulation, but sadly there's still a lot games do not work due to the lack of proper INI files, not to mention that you are stuck with the default options Nintendo gives you with it (gamma correction, 4:3 aspect ratio, etc).

I highly doubt Nintendo would put any kind of real effort into making an N64 emulator that plays more than 50% of the library accurately.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

johnbus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah this is what I'm using. Only problem is the smeared image ahah which is why it would be great to have a n64 classic mini because that would deliver at least 720p without having to ultrahdmi mod costing an arm and a leg.

You could get a S-Video cable for the N64, and a S-Video to HDMI converter box to plug into an HDTV. It wouldn't be super expensive, and you could use the same setup on an NES and SNES since they apparently use the same connector.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's kind of funny because N64 is not exactly the paragon of masterful graphics, I know there's more to emulation, but still. Need the perfect N64 Emulator for beautiful moments like this.

u5NNuAi.jpg

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's kind of funny because N64 is not exactly the paragon of masterful graphics, I know there's more to emulation, but still. Need the perfect N64 Emulator for beautiful moments like this.

100% perfect SNES emulation requires a rather beefy PC.
And that's just SNES.
A 16 bit console with a less then 10 Mhz CPU?

cpjay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You could get a S-Video cable for the N64, and a S-Video to HDMI converter box to plug into an HDTV. It wouldn't be super expensive, and you could use the same setup on an NES and SNES since they apparently use the same connector.

Should give this a try, no input lag?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They've already made their own emulators for the Wii and Wii U that play better than any PC emulator

But that being the case, I'm guessing that since those haven't been RE'd yet, a potential future N64 mini wouldn't be either

Debatable, PC N64 emulators can play Resident Evil 2, Rogue Squadron and even Battle for Naboo if you use the right plugins, notably GlideN64 with AngryLion's RSP plugin; the game's a nightmare to run properly due to it using dynamic resolution depending on the characters on screen at once. The problem with Nintendo's Wii U N64 is that the colors are washed out and dull, at least it gets that funky invisible Mario effect (alpha dithering) correctly emulated. That, and Donkey Kong 64 uses linear audio filtering, for some reason, which is odd, other games don't use it.

Gonetz (one of the programmers for N64 emulation), has an interesting blog about the quirkiness of N64 hardware. Granted, the Wii U N64 is superior to the Wii N64 emulation by far, and in some cases, Not64.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Why not? N64 Classic is the logical next step.
Although without the Rare classics it might be hard to find enough truly great games to fill the library. They could probably do Donkey Kong 64 because they own the IP but Banjo and Conker might be tough to get the licensing for. And in my opinion it just wouldn't be the same without them, Zelda OoT and Banjo-Kazooie are my top 2 favorite N64 games and absolutely must haves for me.
Just got me wondering, hypethetically if Nintendo are to release a Nintendo 64 classic mini next year, could this be the answer to the current shitty state of n64 emulation?
If someone were able to dump this hypothetically n64 classic mini and develop it for windows then we could have the perfect emulator assuming Nintendo follow the same methods as the nes and snes classic minis.
Would beat playing a the blur of a mess original n64.
And then hopefully recreate the n64 mini with a raspberry Pi?
What do You guys recon?
The emulator would not be perfect, they only need to ensure that the included games run perfectly, and with how difficult the N64 is to emulate that means that a lot of games will likely be incompatible or buggy.

On Wii the emulator is bundled with the game and modified to work with every game, which is why for certain injects to work they must be injected into a specific WAD, and the compatibility list for VC injects is rather poor overall.
On Wii U things are slightly better, but the emulator (which is still bundled with the game for the record) needs game specific patches in the form of config files. However the emulator seems to be the same or mostly the same across different VC releases and only the config file needs to be changed for injects.
There's no reason to think that a N64 Classic would be much better, since they only need it to work perfectly with a handful of games. Although the hardware in NES/SNES Classic is powerful enough that it could do a better job at N64 emulation than the Wii U, it would probably be far from perfect with other games than those included.

The Wii one was pretty crap TBH with awful compatibility and the Wii U one has that annoying darkening filter, although it's still better.
It wouldn't fix the smearing, which is actually a feature of sorts of the N64. Supposedly it made things look better on old CRT displays, kind of like antialiasing but far more rudimentary, but with modern LCDs (and probably even a good RGB CRT display) it just looks terrible. On old CRTs you couldn't tell because the image was kind of blurry anyway so it worked out.
Edit: Here's a video that shows the difference with and without the smearing. It's night and day.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: cpjay

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why not? N64 Classic is the logical next step.
Although without the Rare classics it might be hard to find enough truly great games to fill the library. They could probably do Donkey Kong 64 because they own the IP but Banjo and Conker might be tough to get the licensing for. And in my opinion it just wouldn't be the same without them, Zelda OoT and Banjo-Kazooie are my top 2 favorite N64 games and absolutely must haves for me.

N64 Mini without Conker isn't a N64 mini.
But like I said, stranger things happened so it could very well be that Nintendo releases a N64 mini.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering snes mini apparently uses hacks to handle some of the games, id assume n64 would be the same. Probably as good as the vc from wiiu. Iirc, the main issue with emulation is the microcode for the gpu?

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country
Doesn't it matter that emulator devs can't or at least try not to use proprietary code written by Nintendo?
Nintendo could use every bit of code in their arsenal to get it running smoothly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto