Hardware Misc GCN "Super GameCube" project of mine.

TriGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
trivoxel.io
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I might sound really dumb for asking about this considering my Wii does this and my Wii U even better, and my Raspberry Pi even better, and my gaming PC any better, but hear me out...

Can I get some really specific mods to beef up my GameCube? I'd like to overclock my processor, and potentially increase the memory pool by swapping the RAM chips for something larger. My reasoning is that I want something robust and highly portable for the purposes of retro emulation and running all sorts of classic GameCube games.

With the GameCube being nearly indestructable and resistant against seemingly all elemental damage such as fire, Earth and children, I figured it would be a perfect fit for an on-the-go emulation powerhouse. I'd like to arm it with an arsenal of classic emulators such as NES, SNES, MasterSystem, N64, maybe even some select arcade and Saturn games. I'm a huge fan of the design and legacy of the system and I have a lot of love for it and the modding scene that exists for it. How amazing that software still gets updated for a 20+ y/o console? Incredible! Anyways, I digress.

The reason I want this is because I have so many great classic games that I play regularly through RetroArch on my PC. The issue is that my PC is MASSIVE and is a pain in the ass to transport on long road trips. The reason I choose the GameCube over the Wii or Wii U is because those systems are much more fragile and have way too many accessories for me to want to deal with. The Wii's got the sensor bar, GC controllers, Wiimote, nunchuck, classic controler, cables, etc. and the Wii U dumps even more onto that list with the GamePad and GamePad charger (plus the system is larger). Not quite so easy to pack or keep track of. I admire the GC for having 1 standard controller, being super bulky yet portable, and having a lot of horsepower to work with. However, it could still be better.

I've heard of some rather involved mods for the Xbox (original) where you can desolder the RAM and increase it to 128 MB. You can also overclock it and such. I think that's incredible, and I'd love to hear that something similar can be done on the GC. I know I haven't run into any issues in Dolphin Emulator when increasing the memory to 128 MB so in theory, GameCube games should still run fine. I'd love to improve memory to squeeze some extra performance out of N64 emulators in particular. I'd also like to overclock the CPU to something in the Wii's territory, maybe even higher. I think with the beefy heat sink, and maybe a better fan, it would be perfectly fine. That Nintendo GC heatsink is absolutely overkill!

I also want to get an SD card reader to replace the optical drive, for the sake of convenience, as well as for longevity and supporting a massive library of games.

I understand there's a lot of docs to read about things like this (and I will do my research), but I would love to hear from some other modders what kinds of enhancements I could do to get the most out of my DOL-001 console. I'd love to back up my entire GC library to this thing, load a bunch of Homebrew, run a ton of emulators, and so on. I'm having a tough time finding anything on memory expansions, so I'd love some pointers on that (if any). Hopefully my mad dreams of having a sick AIO emulation beast can come true with the mods I have planned for my system. Here's my ideas. Please give me more. Just signed up to this forum today because over the years I keep coming back here for cool mod ideas. I figured I'd let this community tell me how bad my ideas are before sinking a ton of time and money into them...

Nix_Lon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I'd like to overclock my processor, and potentially increase the memory pool by swapping the RAM chips for something larger. My reasoning is that I want something robust and highly portable for the purposes of retro emulation and running all sorts of classic GameCube games.
No offense but Nintendont for the Wii almost does that which runs GameCube games natively via Wii specs instead of downclocking itself to be identical to GameCube specs like MIOS DIOS (e.g 60FPS Sunshine) but the performance gain is negligible most of the time.

In layman terms, the Wii specs is basically an GameCube that runs 1.5x faster in terms of CPU/GPU spec; not sure for RAM.

For the 128MB RAM in real hardware, I think GameCube development kits had that RAM capacity and it was used for game prototypes developed and designed only to run in devkits like the Metroid Prime 3 prototypes. Not sure for the beneficial gains for retail game though.

All retail units doesn't reach the 128MB mark, seems like modifications have to be made for those units.
  • GameCube: 24MB of T1-SRAM
  • Wii: 24MB of T1-SRAM + 64MB of GDDR3
The reason I choose the GameCube over the Wii or Wii U is because those systems are much more fragile and have way too many accessories for me to want to deal with.
For the controller concerns in regards to the Wii, I heard that some BitBuilt folks covered those issues of the Wii via both software and hardware modifications to replace the Wiimote with the GameCube controller as standard input instead but it's made for enthusiasts. Not sure for the Wii U.

I'd also like to overclock the CPU to something in the Wii's territory, maybe even higher. I think with the beefy heat sink, and maybe a better fan, it would be perfectly fine. That Nintendo GC heatsink is absolutely overkill!
Don't forget to take into consideration the CPU/GPU die size comparisons between the GameCube and Wii.
  • GameCube Gekko: 180nm
  • Wii Broadway [Launch unit]: 90nm
  • Wii Broadway [2007-2009 unit]: 60nm
Theoretically might be the reason why Wii units [2007-2009 model] has more hardware modifications than the GameCube (and the Wii launch unit) but I might be also wrong on that part.

If I were you, discuss these possibilities and ideas on BitBuilt forums instead since that forum has much more hardware/software modification enthusiasts especially at retro consoles such as the GameCube, N64, Wii than here.

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
No offense but Nintendont for the Wii almost does that which runs GameCube games natively via Wii specs instead of downclocking itself to be identical to GameCube specs like MIOS DIOS (e.g 60FPS Sunshine) but the performance gain is negligible most of the time.

In layman terms, the Wii specs is basically an GameCube that runs 1.5x faster in terms of CPU/GPU spec; not sure for RAM.

For the 128MB RAM in real hardware, I think GameCube development kits had that RAM capacity and it was used for game prototypes developed and designed only to run in devkits like the Metroid Prime 3 prototypes. Not sure for the beneficial gains for retail game though.

All retail units doesn't reach the 128MB mark, seems like modifications have to be made for those units.
  • GameCube: 24MB of T1-SRAM
  • Wii: 24MB of T1-SRAM + 64MB of GDDR3

For the controller concerns in regards to the Wii, I heard that some BitBuilt folks covered those issues of the Wii via both software and hardware modifications to replace the Wiimote with the GameCube controller as standard input instead but it's made for enthusiasts. Not sure for the Wii U.

Don't forget to take into consideration the CPU/GPU die size comparisons between the GameCube and Wii.
  • GameCube Gekko: 180nm
  • Wii Broadway [Launch unit]: 90nm
  • Wii Broadway [2007-2009 unit]: 60nm
Theoretically might be the reason why Wii units [2007-2009 model] has more hardware modifications than the GameCube (and the Wii launch unit) but I might be also wrong on that part.

If I were you, discuss these possibilities and ideas on BitBuilt forums instead since that forum has much more hardware/software modification enthusiasts especially at retro consoles such as the GameCube, N64, Wii than here.
using the old cmios is better imo if you dont care about using non gc controllers nintendont doesn't support gba link cable properly like in pokemon box. You can launch swiss and use that with cmios for sd loading

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: