Corruption In Games Journalism, or "Five Guys Burgers and Fries"

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't copy/paste from psvita browser, but a small contingent of SJW have decided to break away from the main group and go after the "problematic" language used within the metal community.

So far, there is heavy resistance, but battle lines may be redrawn once the breakaway SJW group has decided on token female figureheads to recieve the fake rape/death threats which will be sure to mobilize the beta orbiters to save the damsels.

May the SJW drown in a sea of the metal communites apathy.

So having racked my brains I came up with nothing that I know of from metal but I am tangentially involved in most things so I thought I would look up slang terms, nothing again.

The best I have got is headbanging might be offensive to those that have seizures of the grand mal persuasion.

Edit.
Maybe long hair is gender appropriation?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is every social studies or similar topic thesis/final year project required to be, or at least feature, "autobiography of a 20 something that has not done anything yet"?

Likewise I was always taught first person is to academic writing what goto is to programming, I guess I was lied to.

"Although the fields of psychology and musicology have yielded fascinating data on the metal scene, I will only analyze research from the fields of sociology and cultural studies, as they overlap both methodologically and theoretically with communication studies, the field which this thesis is being conducted in."
I think that probably says most things this thread and its sister thread need to know.

Anyway it is going to take me a while to make it through this one.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice link there DCG, perhaps not necessarily for the reasons the article claimed it was for, though I reckon it did do what it set out to do as well.

I have to do two things though
1) Sort out dates in my head 2005-2009 both seem like the dim and distant past and yesterday all at once, however my awareness of the passage of time is almost non-existent these days.

2) Figure out if something got lost in the noise (rates of articles seem to be one or two a month there) or if people lost their way (the author of the article quotes several things that were great in light of all this).

Edit. It also linked me to the wonder that is http://www.gamestyleguide.com/VideoGameStyleGuideeBook.pdf
Many of you will be pleased to know they finally nailed down what an alpha (note that alpha build is not acceptable) and beta is, had I known the decades old debate was settled there in 2007 I might have slept better.

Edit 2. They even managed to provide a definition for casual and hardcore... I get a feeling there will be several more edits before I get to the end of this (and as you might have guessed I am only on C).

Edit 3. So Bullet Time was discouraged owing to it being a trademark of warner brothers (never actually knew that) and though it is not related per se I do bring it up in connection to the following
"Refer to digital distribution services by their official names, i.e. Xbox Live, Steam, Wii Shop Channel, PlayStation Store."
I am trying to figure out why this is.

The full quote would be
"digital distribution
The purchase
and/or delivery of a game or other piece of
content via a computer network."
and then that part above. I am unsure if this means use their official name if you are going to use one (the opening of the whole document leads with an example of naming consoles and the capitalisations needed) or a general suggestion to use them over a generic term.

Edit once more.
Apparently foe is an unacceptable synonym for enemy, as is baddie.

Editing, another time.

Apparently manual is the kind of technical term that first needs to be qualified by having the "instruction manual" in there beforehand.

I think I will leave it and just say read it.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
hC65F45BA

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Flame
Lol, hadn't seen that one yet :)

Also, lots of things happening this week already :s
Ghazi seems to have picked a fight with an faction of the original anon's, which seems to be bound to end bad for them.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, of course, McIntosh (Feminist Frequency producer and writer) had some... interesting things to say in the wake of the Charlie Habdo tragedy.
https://archive.today/0N22H#selection-4325.0-4577.4
https://archive.today/mtzVV

Now, we can both agree that threats of violence are deplorable, Jon, but when threats are actually carried out, you seem awful apathetic. "Eh, they were askin' for it."

Enter TotalBiscuit.

ZXeB554.png

TotalBiscuit is pretty sick, what with the cancer and chemo, but he's definitely not suffering from erektile dysfunction.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been having pretty long shifts, so it's been hard for me to keep up with posting, but...

So, earlier this week or so, it was discovered that Tyler Wilde, a PCGamer writer (the guy who wrote the anti-PC Master Race article, funnily enough) was actually in a relationship with someone over at Ubisoft while he wrote several articles about the company and its games. #GamerGate raised awareness of this conflict of interest and potential breach of journalistic ethics.

And PCGamer responded... by acknowledging the breach, openly and honestly explaining the situation, and updating their disclosure rules to avoid any further problems. Everybody won here.

See, Kotaku, wasn't that easy? You could have avoided all of this months ago, but I guess "muh harassment conspiracy" was just more hip.

Of course, PCGamer making an honest effort to be transparent and serve its readers is now considered appeasement by the social justice zealot collective. "What if we had to admit that it's actually about ethics in journalism?"

mvX1o3W.jpg

Rocc0

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So ABC News recently ran an hit piece on Gamergate and interviewed Anita Sarkeesian and Brianna Wu. Not only that, but they appear to be actively censoring the comments section of the Youtube video. I am surprised they just don't simply turn off the comments section all together like videos regarding Anita Sarkeesian usually tends to be (the Colbert report for example).

r/KotakuInAction thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2smddb/abc_news_is_actively_censoring_the_youtube/

Abc News:

Some of the censored comments
https://imgur.com/gallery/iX00h/new
Most of the comments in the imgur link have been hidden from the Youtube comment section, they are still available if you go through, for example, TotalBiscuit's or Thunderf00ts google+ account, so I guess they are not technically deleted, but it is still censorship in my opinion. Of course that comment section is private space and ABC News has every right to moderate their comment sections how they wish, but I still think this is very deplorable behavior coming from major news outlet. Most of you probably recognize some prominent Gamergate voices amongst the deleted comments.
I'm curious, how is ABC News regarded over there in US? Is it generally very respected/trusted news outlet? This is the first time I have seen their news reporting and it does not look too good. Not sure if they are lazy or corrupt.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Most of the comments in the imgur link have been hidden from the Youtube comment section, they are still available if you go through, for example, TotalBiscuit's or Thunderf00ts google+ account, so I guess they are not technically deleted, but it is still censorship in my opinion. Of course that comment section is private space and ABC News has every right to moderate their comment sections how they wish, but I still think this is very deplorable behavior coming from major news outlet. Most of you probably recognize some prominent Gamergate voices amongst the deleted comments.

AFAIK comments get autohidden when they accumulate enough spam reports. It's then up to the channel owner to sift through and tag those reported comments as ham or spam/ untagging or deleting them.

(edit: this is just meant as an alternate explanation, reducing "active purposeful deletion" to "can't be bothered to manage the channel")

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alright, fresh from the battlefield:
http://theralphretort.com/intel-exp...eason-anitas-cashout-becomes-clearer-0120015/

It's getting funnier by the day, are these people all that dense?

Yesterday I read about that coffin guy (the one with the fake girlfriends) and also read that both he and "chris-chan" are anti's. Another former lol-cow (didn't know the word until yesterday) seems to be pro gamergate.
But the more I read about the anti's the more I'm losing hope in humanity...

A freaking 14 year old girl getting harassed after braiding her hair o.O
(for stealing the style from black people...)

I'm truly amazed almost every day about the shit some people spew....

Reactions: Gahars and bkifft

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Veho
Ah, seems I missed the friends part when I read this the first time....

I'm thinking we'd need some sort of Hippocratic Oath for journalists and reviewers :/
In which they either stay away of stuff with conflict of interest, or they just show al their cards at the beginning of the article...

Tiffani

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come now, Veho, you're going to post that and not TotalBiscuit blowing her the fuck out? (Only figuratively, thank God)

rK5OYFc.jpg

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/562028645813084162

I don't think words can properly express my anger at this. It's pretty obvious that someone told her this and she ran with it without checking it out. This is an open-world game, the entire fucking point is helping people out. Do you know how many men I've seen my husband save in this game, and he's only like 30% through?
Wait a minute, why am I yelling? You guys know what's up with this chick. Oops, lol.
I don't know what's worse, her saying this or the sycophantic fools in her timeline agreeing with it.

Reactions: Gahars

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay