Homebrew Clarification Thread - What is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosselman

Spooky Skeleton
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Wait so you can install any firmware to the 3DS with it being HardModded? Dang, thanks for taking the time to not just go to the lower firmware and instead helping us soft-modded folks get to the lower firmware.
You can't just install any firmware. You can only install NAND backups you made yourself, of your console.

Last edited by Rosselman,

TheGlow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait so you can install any firmware to the 3DS with it being HardModded? Dang, thanks for taking the time to not just go to the lower firmware and instead helping us soft-modded folks get to the lower firmware.
I believe you would need to dump the NAND with from it already being lower. You cant just put the lower firmware. More like a save state dumping your set up as is. you upgrade all you want and cant roll back since you have a full dump of how everything should be.
Difference between installing Windows 7 over 10 vs copying a partition with win7 already installed w/ drivers.

How rough is it to hardmod? Just 4 points to a micro to sd converter? I've done 360 JTAGs, and 0603 led SMDs. Even pulled a trace and repaired it with awg30.

Reactions: Mrrraou

vlasp01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't just install any firmware. You can only install NAND backups you made yourself, on your console.
Oh, ok. So theoretically you could make a NAND backup of the stock firmware your 3DS comes with, and then update to the latest update, make a NAND backup of that, and be able to downgrade? Cool!

revoblam

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
Doesn't BrowserHax lead to the Homebrew Menu in which you can use FBI to install the Cubic Ninja CIA file? I hope that explains what I am trying to get to, as some people may want an Offline Homebrew method.
you actually need HBL to use those, not just the Exploit itself

have you seen the Talk about 3ds security? the part wehre Smea talks explains a little about HBL and how the *hax works

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, ok. So theoretically you could make a NAND backup of the stock firmware your 3DS comes with, and then update to the latest update, make a NAND backup of that, and be able to downgrade? Cool!

What they're saying is that the NAND backup is taken directly from your system. If you made the backup when you were on 9.2, you would go back to that point in time essentially. You can't just install a FW directly to the NAND. I assume you could make a backup at stock, and a backup once you update to 9.2 and be able to revert to either, but don't quote me on that one.

Reactions: Rosselman

vlasp01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you actually need HBL to use those, not just the Exploit itself

have you seen the Talk about 3ds security? the part wehre Smea talks explains a little about HBL and how the *hax works
The exploit leads to the homebrew launcher, which can launch FBI to install the Cubic Ninja CIA file. From there you can just boot up Cubic Ninja from the Home Menu just like a regular EShop game. If you thought the exploit (BrowserHax) itself launches Cubic Ninja, you might've misunderstood. I am just saying, like how on 10.3 we can load BrowserHax to boot up the Homebrew Launcher to do HANS, insteas, replace HANS with FBI and that is what I am talking about.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What they're saying is that the NAND backup is taken directly from your system. If you made the backup when you were on 9.2, you would go back to that point in time essentially. You can't just install a FW directly to the NAND. I assume you could make a backup at stock, and a backup once you update to 9.2 and be able to revert to either, but don't quote me on that one.
Yeah, I understand. It is like having 2 pairs of system/data/cache image files for Android, one at Android 4.1, and one at Android 6.0, and then swapping those images to dual boot/save yourself from a bootloop.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The exploit leads to the homebrew launcher, which can launch FBI to install the Cubic Ninja CIA file. From there you can just boot up Cubic Ninja from the Home Menu just like a regular EShop game. If you thought the exploit (BrowserHax) itself launches Cubic Ninja, you might've misunderstood. I am just saying, like how on 10.3 we can load BrowserHax to boot up the Homebrew Launcher to do HANS, insteas, replace HANS with FBI and that is what I am talking about.

Yeah, I understand. It is like having 2 pairs of system/data/cache image files for Android, one at Android 4.1, and one at Android 6.0, and then swapping those images to dual boot/save yourself from a bootloop.
Just a heads up there's 0 reason to use a cubic ninja CIA when you can just use yellows8's homebrew launcher CIA

Otelo2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Can someone with a good heart can PM me the compiled code for the memchunk test please?
"Asking for a friend"

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico

Unless I'm missing something and there's a legit .cia of Cubic Ninja, why can't you just install the HB Channel launcher?

Can someone with a good heart can PM me the compiled code for the memchunk test please?
"Asking for a friend"
https://gbatemp.net/entry/the-memchunkhax2-hype-post-with-3dsx.10938/

vlasp01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a heads up there's 0 reason to use a cubic ninja CIA when you can just use yellows8's homebrew launcher CIA
Well yeah I never thought of that but it has the same logic as what I was saying about installing any CIA file.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well yeah I never thought of that but it has the same logic as what I was saying about installing any CIA file.
yeah it is... it's just Cubic Ninja takes up more space, takes longer to boot, etc. The CIA that boots straight to it is the more convenient version

Reactions: Zedjones

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Can someone with a kind heart tag me when something significant actually happens?

After reading 260+ pages of shitposts my will to continue has finally broken, I'll just unfollow and stay away for now.

vlasp01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah it is... it's just Cubic Ninja takes up more space, takes longer to boot, etc. The CIA that boots straight to it is the more convenient version
Yeah, the guy I was quoting before was talking about installing a CIA in general, and how he thinks my logic of BrowserHax->HBL->FBI->Install any CIA is wrong. I am not saying I disagree with you, I just forgot about that CIA. I will install it when the downgrade tool comes. Until then I am here to help and to be helped.

revoblam

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
you implied to directly skip HBL in your previous posts, but i Understand what you mean there.

vlasp01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you implied to directly skip HBL in your previous posts, but i Understand what you mean there.
Oh ok, sorry for the miswording and the misunderstanding. I hope we are at an agreement now lol.

So this is what it is like without sh*tposts...
I like it.

Babbagooties

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got it working

Attachments

• downgrade successful.png
    downgrade successful.png
    140.6 KB · Views: 460