Homebrew Official Citra - New 3DS Emulator

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never got the launcher.dat to work. Do I have to change it somehow?
Which launcher.dat? That's just the name currently used to direct which file to use, all home brew is named launcher.dat. But at this stage things just outright not working expectedly is expected.

bunnei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never got the launcher.dat to work. Do I have to change it somehow?

At this time, just about all homebrew I've tested works (as, pretty much all homebrew uses the same mechanisms/libraries, which are relatively simple). However, "launcher.dat" files are not really supported, as they take advantage of an exploit in the OS to load a binary payload (and the code used for the exploit is not always the same), and citra ofc does not emulate this part. Furthermore, there is no defined format for the launcher.dat files that I know of, so basically for them to work, we would need to figure out where the actual homebrew demo starts in each one.... which we don't.

So just use the .ELF file that's used to create your launcher.dat. If people are just releasing launcher.dat files, then you'll need to rebuild it from source yourself.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
At this time, just about all homebrew I've tested works (as, pretty much all homebrew uses the same mechanisms/libraries, which are relatively simple). However, "launcher.dat" files are not really supported, as they take advantage of an exploit in the OS to load a binary payload (and the code used for the exploit is not always the same), and citra ofc does not emulate this part. Furthermore, there is no defined format for the launcher.dat files that I know of, so basically for them to work, we would need to figure out where the actual homebrew demo starts in each one.... which we don't.

So just use the .ELF file that's used to create your launcher.dat. If people are just releasing launcher.dat files, then you'll need to rebuild it from source yourself.

Thanks. Wasn't really aware of this.
Kinda funny it only uses 30% CPU :P

flarn2006

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And in the end, this is the only thing most people are expecting.
This is meant to be a debugger more than a double pirate's emulator.
Double pirate? If you pirate Pokemon X or Y and play it in an emulator, yes, that's piracy (unless you already own the game legit I guess), but unless you pirate both X and Y (which wouldn't be necessary for TPP) how would you be a double pirate?

Abcdfv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Double pirate? If you pirate Pokemon X or Y and play it in an emulator, yes, that's piracy (unless you already own the game legit I guess), but unless you pirate both X and Y (which wouldn't be necessary for TPP) how would you be a double pirate?
Because you wanna pirate 3ds games on both your 3ds and PC. Loose slang my friend.

DestinyFeather

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because you wanna pirate 3ds games on both your 3ds and PC. Loose slang my friend.
Why would you want an emulator, if you literally own the console being emulated and have a copy of said game on the console? Unless because of battery issues or something?

I'm just saying, it seems like a bit of waste of memory to me and it's not like it's a new game or anything....

Abcdfv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you want an emulator, if you literally own the console being emulated and have a copy of said game on the console? Unless because of battery issues or something?

I'm just saying, it seems like a bit of waste of memory to me and it's not like it's a new game or anything....

Well, because what you want and want someone else wants will never be the same, and while you may never understand their reasoning it may make perfect sense to them. But, theoretically in the future someone may be able to copy their pirated game saves to the pc, and continue from said save on an emulator (when/if one is released(in it's "true" form)) only to move the emulator save to their gateway or what have you. Just because something isnt convenient for you doesnt mean someone else wont benefit from it greatly.

RachelB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A lot of peopel would consider emulators to be better for a variety of reasons. To name a few:

* save states
* can use any controller
* speed up/slow down
* better graphics
* don't need to drag out the console
* easy cheats

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
It means that if you don't own the console but instead play on an emu, you're pirating both the game and the console (Assuming you also don't own the game. I see little reasons to buy games when you don't even have a console to play it on.)
"Pirating" might not be the most accurate term but you know what I mean.

neobrain

-
Trophies
XP
Country
The Git versions can be found here:

http://www.emucr.com/2014/05/citra-git-20140501.html

Maybe they are more stuff added into the Source code that bunnei could make use of...

Are maybe have a chat to the ones who are editing it if, all knowledge combines :)

You do know that emucr is just a bunch of assholes trying to make ad money off other projects by being the only ones providing builds for effectively useless* software that is vastly overhyped by people unfamiliar with emulation, right? Harsh tone aside, I'd appreciate if people stopped supporting people like that. It's highly disappointing to see efforts being abused like this successfully.

* I know that it's "not useless", but you get the point.

Reactions: Abcdfv

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
its not fully working yet the 3ds isn't fully hacked so you wont be able to play 3ds games

Well even though I'd love to see a functionnal 3ds emulator that could play roms, I feel like we should give a chance to nintendo, we're already hacking their console, lets not make people be able to both download the games and not even pay for the console, I think that playing rom shouldnt be the main goal of this work until the 3ds has a succesor...

Reactions: TsukiyoX

TheCruel

Developer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well even though I'd love to see a functionnal 3ds emulator that could play roms, I feel like we should give a chance to nintendo, we're already hacking their console, lets not make people be able to both download the games and not even pay for the console, I think that playing rom shouldnt be the main goal of this work until the 3ds has a succesor...

I think playing commercial ROMs should be the goal regardless. But don't worry, it probably won't be achieved until a 3DS successor is released anyways lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...