Hacking Circle Pad patches for Super Mario 64 DS and other games (in TwilightMenu with TWPatcher and RTCom)

Vendicatorealato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I suppose that the problem may also be caused by some peripherals, like an SD card which speed probably directly affects the performance of nds-bootstrap
Just to say, I don't think that on my side the problem could be the microSD Card because it is a Official Nintendo Switch 128GB, that in the SanDisk "tier list" it's between Ultra and Extreme ones.
you could check again "v1" (the slowest one) and after the CPad begins to work, press L+R+Down. It should toggle between mapping/unmapping CPad from Dpad, and solve the problem with "menu on left-map on down".
Yes, it solves it, also for v2. On these two the fact that the CPad starts to work after a while (about 1 minute or more for v1) it's really annoying though.

The point now is to choose which should be the version for the main post... but to do so requires more people who test.

Last edited by Vendicatorealato,
Reactions: shoco

Unithrex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to use both your patch and "Widescreen patch for Super Mario 64 DS USA 1.1"?
It enables widescreen for 2D elements too and is excellent.
I can't post links yet but it is in a thread called "Widescreen cheats for DS games on 3DS" by Vague Rant

I have tried patching my game twice, first with your patch, then this one, and vice versa, using NO checksum check, but no luck.

I wonder if I can convert this widescreen hack to cheat codes to have both widescreen with 2D AND circle pad(cheats) enhancements!

Cheats or xdelta, Any help will be appreciated. thanks!
Patch the rom with the xdelta of the widescreen, and then load the cheat code version of the analog controls. That's what I did and it works great. There were some audio glitches but setting the CPU to dsi mhz fixed that.
Post automatically merged:

@shoco ,
Thanks so much for making these! I have been having a blast w/ SM64DS!

I have tried using the same code for Another Super Mario 3D (a rom hack of SM64DS by the Newer Team), but it doesn't work.

Can you please make a code specifically for it?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Unithrex,
Reactions: shoco

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I have tried using the same code for Another Super Mario 3D (a rom hack of SM64DS by the Newer Team), but it doesn't work.
Can you please make a code specifically for it?
Thanks in advance!

As far as I know, It should be supported. But you need to use the version "USA v1.0" of the cpad mod, because that's what ASM3D's delta patch turns your rom into

Unithrex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, It should be supported. But you need to use the version "USA v1.0" of the cpad mod, because that's what ASM3D's delta patch turns your rom into
Ok, I switched it to the 1.0 version of the cpad mod and it works now. Thank you!

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hi guys. Do you know if it is compatible with Circle Pad Pro? on the old 3DS
Unfortunately, no. The Circle Pad Pro is completely different from the CStick of the New3DS and needs special support. Even if it is possible, I can't do it because I lack both the CPP and a console that would be compatible with it.

Reactions: Arcano_cz

Unithrex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@shoco , while using the spirit tracks code, I can move in 360 degrees, but when I press A to roll, it locks me to one of the 8 dpad directions. This doesn't happen in phantom hourglass. Is this an issue with the dpad and buttons patch or could this be fixed with your analog code?

felixsrg

Temp's Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I've been really enjoying the patches for Rune Factory games, they feel just like modern ones, so I wanted to say thank you so much again!

Maybe, if possible, I would like to ask, can this method be used to map movement to circle pad for Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness? Like Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, it has touchscreen only movement. (Maybe even create patches for the other Harvest Moon games?) I'm really sorry for asking more of you when you have given us so much.

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
@shoco , while using the spirit tracks code, I can move in 360 degrees, but when I press A to roll, it locks me to one of the 8 dpad directions. This doesn't happen in phantom hourglass. Is this an issue with the dpad and buttons patch or could this be fixed with your analog code?
I don't know about this specific issue, but I had a bug there that interfered with that mod. Here is a fixed version. Just in case, it's meant to work with this dpad xdelta patch for the game versions USA v1.0 and Europe v1.0 (i think)

Maybe, if possible, I would like to ask, can this method be used to map movement to circle pad for Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness? Like Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, it has touchscreen only movement. (Maybe even create patches for the other Harvest Moon games?) I'm really sorry for asking more of you when you have given us so much.
I'll look into this. Although it seems the sprites and animations will still be 8-directional

Attachments

• zelda_spirit_tracks_fix_for_dpad_mod.zip
    15.7 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: felixsrg

felixsrg

Temp's Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I don't know about this specific issue, but I had a bug there that interfered with that mod. Here is a fixed version. Just in case, it's meant to work with this dpad xdelta patch for the game versions USA v1.0 and Europe v1.0 (i think)

I'll look into this. Although it seems the sprites and animations will still be 8-directional

Thank you very much! I thought so, although even with touch screen, sprites are still 8-directional, it would be awesome if possible.

Phantron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey man this is AWESOME! what about the first Dementium game though, and can you extend the Metroid Prime Hunters touchscreen forced controls so it could ignore the DPad, and instead that one allows switching weapons, and maybe other things too on the face buttons like switching to morphball ? or if the DPAD cant be ignored, switching weapons on those

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hey man this is AWESOME! what about the first Dementium game though, and can you extend the Metroid Prime Hunters touchscreen forced controls so it could ignore the DPad, and instead that one allows switching weapons, and maybe other things too on the face buttons like switching to morphball ? or if the DPAD cant be ignored, switching weapons on those
But there was a remake of Dementium on the 3DS. I bet it's better than anything I can come up here. I'll see if I can do something about the Metroid

Phantron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yes but I own the DS version which i also like better because it has the PS1 graphics style. the 3DS version isnt as nice there, and there is no physcial release :-/ same goes for "Moon" now that I think of it
would it be difficult to re-do the code for the 1st one from the 2nd game? and Moon too hopefully.

what about CoD WaW? it's held as the best DS CoD :)

also, can the mic input for the Zelda games be put on a button? that would make the games much better!!
Post automatically merged:

And I have a question: whats your key bindings on Mario 64 DS? since running is analogue with this, is Y now used for attack too?

Last edited by Phantron,

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
yes but I own the DS version which i also like better because it has the PS1 graphics style. the 3DS version isnt as nice there, and there is no physcial release :-/ same goes for "Moon" now that I think of it
would it be difficult to re-do the code for the 1st one from the 2nd game? and Moon too hopefully.

what about CoD WaW? it's held as the best DS CoD :)
Okay, I'll check them out

also, can the mic input for the Zelda games be put on a button? that would make the games much better!!
Not by me, but I think the dpad mods (1 & 2) should already do something like this (at least one of them)

And I have a question: whats your key bindings on Mario 64 DS? since running is analogue with this, is Y now used for attack too?

I do not usually change the functionality of the original keys. So Y is still meant for running if you prefer the dpad. In case you want to map it to some other key, there is a mapper in the original post.

Phantron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay, I'll check them out

Not by me, but I think the dpad mods (1 & 2) should already do something like this (at least one of them)

I do not usually change the functionality of the original keys. So Y is still meant for running if you prefer the dpad. In case you want to map it to some other key, there is a mapper in the original post.
I cannot use those dpad mods, since I'm from europe (only work with US), and I'd really like to play from my cards :))
I'm absolutely sure maaany others would love too to have these codes as an all-in-1 controls improvement pack, and not to need another thingy.

so about the SM64 key mapper thing, when I put Attack on Y, do I just take the new code line below all other codes in the text file?

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I cannot use those dpad mods, since I'm from europe (only work with US), and I'd really like to play from my cards :))
They do support the Europe versions (1 & 2). The Spirit Tracks had 2 revisions in Europe though, one of them is supported and another probably not. Just in case, you can turn off the checksum in the xdelta patcher, if it doesn't want to accept your rom.

I'm absolutely sure maaany others would love too to have these codes as an all-in-1 controls improvement pack, and not to need another thingy.
I understand. But unlike those simple CPad patches, doing these heavy full-on modifications like the DPad mod is a much more involved process, not something I can do right now. Besides, there is no easy way to convert an xdelta patch into a cheat code. Maybe some other day, I'll think about it.
And as I heard, this cheat code system is not exactly stable, because there is always a VM working in the background that executes these cheats 60 times per second and slows the game down, and may interfere with and even crash it. As far as I know, It is all fine, but I don't test my mods properly, so who knows.

so about the SM64 key mapper thing, when I put Attack on Y, do I just take the new code line below all other codes in the text file?
Yes, I believe you can add it at the end of my cpad mod or just insert it as a separate cheat code (in R4CCE). Maybe it even works on the original NDS

Phantron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I only mean the mic on button for the Zelda games btw, not more than that
not the dpad :D
and, I have always read that the xdelta patches would be absolutely only compatible with the US versions; if thats not true then it's odd

about the issue with memory leak, can the codes not being told to only load at the start until the game quits and not executing them multiple times every second? hmmm

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
about the issue with memory leak, can the codes not being told to only load at the start until the game quits and not executing them multiple times every second? hmmm
As far as I know, If a cheat is enabled at the start (and it can only be enabled at the start) in TwilightMenu, for example, it's for good. Depending on some conditions (waiting for the game to start properly, load a level, etc), the code may just "wait" and not do what it's supposed to (like overwriting some memory addresses), but there is always a small part of it that is running to check if these conditions are true or not. And it can only run 60 times per second because by default the VM is hooked to the Arm7's VBlank interrupt.
But from my experience, it's not a problem, everything is fine with TwilightMenu+nds-bootstrap (at least when running a ROM from an SD card), maybe on the real NDS hardware it could cause problems or it does with some flashcards (depending on their implementation of the VM and so on).

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

Done.

And here is the mod for Metroid.
DPad Down to switch to the morphball form, and Left, Up, Right for choosing between 3 main weapons on the touchscreen. The DPad itself is not ignored and still acts as usual for better or worse. The best I can do.
I don't really understand why you need it though, the touchscreen is the main point of the whole console and its games, and in this specific game it's not harder to use than actual physical buttons.

Attachments

• metroid_with_dpad_choosing_weapongs.zip
    26.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Love
Reactions: felixsrg and DSoryu

Phantron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
oh but cant you undo the dpad with the keymapper? also which 3 main weapons you mean? there is the Beam, the missiles, and then there are 6 (!) extra weapons from the other hunters... I think having the full gameplay control outside the touchscreen would make it extremely better playable ^^

I just looked into the key mapper. this is how I imagine would be the "ideal" mapping (with a grip that puts ZL and ZR behind L and R instead being at the sides towards the center; otherwise swap 3DS L & R with the DS L & R (L=R, R=L)) because if you aim with the right c-pad/nub anyway, shooting should be on R! morphball on X would be even better too btw :)

I know this looks like a lot, but hear me that it would be SUPER good to have and make an ideal control scheme for the 3DS!
this makes the best use of all the buttons.

hQteYMr.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: the 2nd pic dun show much, just topdown view of the layout