Hacking cIOSX rev21d2x: Yet Another Hot Fix!!!!

Did d2x work for you?

• Yes, I had an issue with the official cios and d2x fixed it

Votes: 93 48.2%
  • Yes, but everything was already working for me with the official cios

Votes: 82 42.5%
  • No, and I posted what goes wrong

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • No, and I won't report what goes wrong because I am a troll

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

bolt7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
explain to me where u see a rev21 cIOS with base 36 on ModMii's download page 4... i'm not trying to be rude here... but I know u are mistaken, so I'm just curious what u REALLY installed

It's okay, I don't see it as rude. I downloaded all of the files in the bottom left corner, titled 'Waninkoko v21 cIOSs' through ModMii on the PC. I then copied all of the ten .wad files it downloaded from the 'COPY_TO_SD' folder to a folder named WAD on the root directory of my SD Card. I then loaded up MMM, changed the 'load another IOS' setting to IOS36, and installed all of the ten .wad files (which I'm now guessing is something I shouldn't have done...)

I'm not the most technical person when it comes to Wii hacking, so it could be bad phrasing on my part. All I know is, by doing this my HDD is working with CFG again, and if I check the options in CFG it says I'm running in IOS36 as base. Sorry if I've caused any confusion.
unsure.gif

Edit - Yeah, I'm a fucking idiot. I told it to install all ten v21 cIOS wads (like a derp), but of course it only did the first [37] of both 249 and 250. So yeah, it was actually [37] that was installed, despite saying 36 in CFG. Sorry for being such a tard.
blush.gif

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@bolt, I was about to correct u but then I saw your edit, u still made 1 minor mistake, the cIOSs u had installed were the last ones u installed, so most likely base 58, not base ios 37... anyways, normally I wouldn't recommend to tempt fate, but if I were u I would be curious to see if installing base 56 and only base 56 works better for u... u can always reinstall base 37 or 58 later on and one of them has to be the one u have installed now and is working for u, most ppl would recommend "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", its up to u though

bolt7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
XFlak said:
@bolt, I was about to correct u but then I saw your edit, u still made 1 minor mistake, the cIOSs u had installed were the last ones u installed, so most likely base 58, not base ios 37... anyways, normally I wouldn't recommend to tempt fate, but if I were u I would be curious to see if installing base 56 and only base 56 works better for u... u can always reinstall base 37 or 58 later on and one of them has to be the one u have installed now and is working for u, most ppl would recommend "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", its up to u though

You're absolutely right- I actually came back here to edit my post (yet again) from [37] to [58.] When installing, the files just kept over-writing themselves. Damn, I feel like a noob.
lecture.gif

Way ahead of ya- downloading rev21d2x v3 base 56 as Etheboss recommended as we speak. As suggested, I'll stick 58 back on if this doesn't work. Again, thanks for all your help. I feel like I've learnt quite a lot today (mostly from mistakes, but bah.)
laugh.gif

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally got around to trying the newest d2x cIOS and things are working nicely.

So far I've tested about 12 wiiware titles using mighty channels and most of those games are now working using an IOS56 base. However, there are a few games that did not work (artstyle games), but these games work perfectly for me using rev17.

I will continue to test wiiware games and I will try to post a list of working games later this week. Thanks again DaveBaol and Xabby for making these great improvements to rev21!

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
davebaol said:
Please report the issue you find for each non working title.

EDIT:
Aloso use d2x v3beta1 for your tests.

OK - here's a list of the games tested so far. I used the latest cIOS beta (IOS56 base) and the latest version of mighty channels.

Games that work:
Aha! I Found it! Hidden Object Game
And Yet It Moves
Art of Balance
Bit. Trip Beat
Bit. Trip Core
Bit. Trip Fate
Bit. Trip Runner
Bit. Trip Void
BlasterMaster Overdrive
Bomberman Blast
Bubble Bobble Plus! (DLC)
Cave Story
Contra Rebirth
Defend Your Castle
Doc Louis's Punch Out!!
Dr. Mario Online Rx
Driift Mania
Excitebike World Rally
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Dark Lord (DLC)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (DLC)
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (DLC)
NyxQuest
Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest (N64 VC inject)

Games that don't work:
Art Style:Cubello
Art Style:Light Trax
Art Style:Orbient
Art Style:Rotohex
Art Style:Rotozoa
Smash Bros. (N64 VC inject)

The non-working games all blackscreened, but when I used cIOS38 rev17, all of these games worked.

Hope that this helps. I will continue to test when I have some time later.

L4D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK here's a list of the games tested that i got. using d2x v3beta1 (56) with MC beta 5

working games:

Bubble bobble plus
sonic 4
overturn
Gradius rebirth
chronos twins
mega man 9
mega man 10
bomberman blast
cave story
castlevania - rondo's blood
onslaught
zombie panic
contra rebirth
the tower of druaga - work after 21v2 beta 2
The will of frankenstein = fixed with beta 3
FF IV after years = fixed with beta 3

not working VC games

kirby 64 crystal shards = after putting in classic controller after nintendo logo loads the screen goes black
legend of zelda majoras mask =after putting in classic controller after nintendo logo loads the screen goes black

Semi-working games

*Dr mario dx = anyway after little test with mario dx, i found tht if u alrdy have a saved game created the game works fine, but if u install new mario dx w/o a save created load the new game up it will then give u a wii memory corrupted msg, wht i mean is if u created a game file from ciosv17 and then try with ciosv21 the game would work fine, like i said if no game saved it wil give u that msg.

lostwinds = loads up fine on 21v2beta2 but as soon as u create new save it will crash.

I have try these games again on v17 and they are working fine.

i hope this helps davebaol
smile.gif

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
L4D said:
not working wareware games

Dr mario dx = loads up then wii memory error
contra rebirth = loads up then when u try to start the game, but gives u a black screen with a loud noise
blink.gif

FF IV after years = same as the will of frankenstein saving error by saving the game once and if try to save again it will give u a save error.

smile.gif

Interesting - I tested some of these games and didn't have problems.

For contra rebirth and dr. mario dx, i played both games for about 15 mins, and I was able to play/save with FF IV after years.

IceIceBird

Trophies
XP
Country
xfcrowman said:
L4D said:
not working wareware games

Dr mario dx = loads up then wii memory error
contra rebirth = loads up then when u try to start the game, but gives u a black screen with a loud noise
blink.gif

FF IV after years = same as the will of frankenstein saving error by saving the game once and if try to save again it will give u a save error.

smile.gif

Interesting - I tested some of these games and didn't have problems.

For contra rebirth and dr. mario dx, i played both games for about 15 mins, and I was able to play/save with FF IV after years.

dr mariox dx worked for me2 with the same settings

L4D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
weird i just retest Dr mario dx, contra rebirth they work now must of been a gitch on my part, except i'm still getting a save failed on ff iv after year tho, saves fine on new save but if u try to save over it it gives u a save failed.
The tower of druaga was working when i just retried it but when i try it again now its giving me a error when u load up weird, so random

IceIceBird

Trophies
XP
Country
L4D said:
weird i just retest Dr mario dx, contra rebirth and the tower of druaga they work now must of been a gitch on my part, except i'm still getting a save failed on ff iv after year tho, saves fine on new save but if u try to save over it it gives u a save failed.

The games that dont work but the most of us want to work with mighty channel would be, Lost Winds series and the Monkey Island series.
wink.gif

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IceIceBird said:
The games that dont work but the most of us want to work with mighty channel would be, Lost Winds series and the Monkey Island series.
wink.gif

Agreed. I will get around to testing Lostwinds, Monkey Island series, Castlevania Rebirth, and Swords & Soldiers - all of which do not work with rev17.

I have been too busy lately- I just modded my PS3 and that has occupied a lot of my time
nayps3.gif

So far, it looks like the d2xbeta3 cios has substantially improved the NAND emulation. When I tried using triiforce with the original rev21, almost no wiiware worked for me, using any IOS base.

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
cIOSX d2x v3beta2

Here is a little fix for the FFS module.
Just like in rev17 now /tmp dir content will be successfully deleted on nand emulation start up (custom ioctl command 100).

The problem with The Will of Dr Frankenstein is that after saving the 1st time the file /tmp/savefile.dat remains there and you can't save again a 2nd time. This problem has not been fixed yet.
However you can restart the game though Mighty Channel and save successfully the 1st time (without the fix you have to delete that file manually to save the 1st time).

How to build and install

[*]Download FFS module d2x v3beta2[*]Download ModMii v4.4.8 or higher[*]Install ModMii[*]Copy the FFS module d2x v3beta1 inside ModMii folder modules\W21Modules overwriting the old module
NOTE: If ModMii was already installed before and d2x v2 has been downloaded already then you MUST remove from the COPY_TO_SD\WAD folder all the files whose name ends with "-v21d2x.wad"[*]Launch ModMii[*]Enter "I Agree"[*]Enter "4" to navigate to Download Page 4[*]Add to the download queue all the cIOSX rev21d2x v2 wads you need, for example "249dx56" and "250dx57"[*]Enter "D" to download selected files[*]Enter "Y" to start downloading[*]ModMii will incorrectly label the wad files as "invalid" and will try building them twice.
It's absolutely normal since the FFS module has been replaced and MD5 check fails.
It is safe to ignore the following error in this instance:
QUOTE said:
Checking entries in COPY_TO_SD\Download_Log.md5
COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS[]-v21d2x.wad: Invalid
Results: 1 files processed, 0 good files, 1 bad files.
[*]Install the wad files with a Wad Manager
NOTE: despite the file name it's a real rev21d2x-v3beta2[*]You're done! Please test and report
yaywii.gif

IceIceBird

Trophies
XP
Country
davebaol said:

13. You're done! Please test and report
yaywii.gif

Works great! The same games that worked on v3b1 works with this one (v3b2) too. Didn't notice any new games working that dind't before (v3b1).
But every bug fix is for the greater good, even if it's a litle one. Many smal things become a big thing after a while
wink.gif

Keep up the good work mates! Really hope you can solve the Lost Wind Issue, it would make my day
wink.gif

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
IceIceBird said:
Works great! The same games that worked on v3b1 works with this one (v3b2) too. Didn't notice any new games working that dind't before (v3b1).
But every bug fix is for the greater good, even if it's a litle one. Many smal things become a big thing after a while
wink.gif

Keep up the good work mates! Really hope you can solve the Lost Wind Issue, it would make my day
wink.gif

Test for v3beta1:
[*]Launch The Will of Dr.Frankenstein[*]Go to the bedroom and save the 1st time[*]Save once again and you'll get an error[*]Launch The Will of Dr.Frankenstein[*]Go to the bedroom and save the 1st time. You'll get an error and you can't save that game any more unless you manually delete /tmp/savefile.dat

Test for v3beta2:
[*]Launch The Will of Dr.Frankenstein[*]Go to the bedroom and save the 1st time[*]Save once again and you'll get an error[*]Launch The Will of Dr.Frankenstein[*]Go to the bedroom and save the 1st time. [*]Save once again and you'll get an error[*]And so on

This is the only difference.
The official rev21 has a little bug which prevents the deletion of /tmp when nand emulation starts up.

EDIT:
Notice /tmp in real nand is deleted on boot.

IceIceBird

Trophies
XP
Country
davebaol:
Didn't test the Dr.Frankenstein game though. But with the info you describe there must be something missing in the nand emu that the real nand does. Debug and trial and try ?
wink.gif

QUOTE said:
The official rev21 has a little bug which prevents the deletion of /tmp when nand emulation starts up.
Quick easy fix is to do this is before launching the emu process as long as we know what device the nand is on.
But maybe some games have to be able to do this in real time also. It's probably something missing in the emu code/process.

What calls are made when the second save is done ?
Debug, compare and brainstorm
wink.gif

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
In case anyone wants it, here are the hashes for d2x v3 beta2 cIOSs

Code:
48ffb892ed713fcc24ef03974d9b356b *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS249[37]-v21d2x2.wad
ac35c27dadfca6b85a4b2664d52551d5 *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS249[38]-v21d2x2.wad
84ae7b1f1a9375ee5539333bbf5bbbd0 *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS249[56]-v21d2x2.wad
303de0e187ecfe0af48790eb9f7d5044 *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS249[57]-v21d2x2.wad
187420ee9ff7c711c2ebdd4f1dd8209d *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS250[37]-v21d2x2.wad
d3f1b9eead54c1788b4ce980c61d96bf *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS250[38]-v21d2x2.wad
434f4e17d434d3228cdf33e5144dd6a8 *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS250[56]-v21d2x2.wad
b0c9b2e404a92a7d2904ee21b6a2623e *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS250[57]-v21d2x2.wad

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@IceIceBird
The /tmp deletion issue has been fixed already by v3beta2

@XFlak
Thanks for the hashes

@Everybody

cIOSX d2x v3beta3

Fixed a bug on file renaming, it was causing the failure on the 2nd save in The Will of Dr.Frankenstein.
TBH I don't understand if the bug is inside the FatFs library or just because it's misused.
In fact the fix is a "dirty" workaround, however it works for me.
I have to create any other file just before renaming.
Actually I create and immediately remove the file "/tmp/davebaol.fix"
laugh.gif

If v3beta3 works for everybody tomorrow I'll release it as v3-final. Finger crossed.
happy.gif

How to build and install

[*]Download FFS module d2x v3beta3[*]Download ModMii v4.4.8 or higher[*]Install ModMii[*]Copy the FFS module d2x v3beta3 inside ModMii folder modules\W21Modules overwriting the old module
NOTE: If ModMii was already installed before and d2x has been downloaded already then you MUST remove from the COPY_TO_SD\WAD folder all the files whose name ends with "-v21d2x.wad"[*]Launch ModMii[*]Enter "I Agree"[*]Enter "4" to navigate to Download Page 4[*]Add to the download queue all the cIOSX rev21d2x wads you need, for example "249dx56" and "250dx57"[*]Enter "D" to download selected files[*]Enter "Y" to start downloading[*]ModMii will incorrectly label the wad files as "invalid" and will try building them twice.
It's absolutely normal since the FFS module has been replaced and MD5 check fails.
It is safe to ignore the following error in this instance:
QUOTE said:
Checking entries in COPY_TO_SD\Download_Log.md5
COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS[]-v21d2x.wad: Invalid
Results: 1 files processed, 0 good files, 1 bad files.
[*]Install the wad files with a Wad Manager
NOTE: despite the file name it's a real rev21d2x-v3beta3[*]You're done! Please test and report
yaywii.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER