smile.gif

DownSince86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xflak40 said:
i think the source code should be shared, but with a limited number of people (who actually know what to do with it). The last thing we want is for ninty to learn all wanin's tricks and block them

His "tricks" are known by everybody... There aren't even his "tricks", read this page if you don't believe me;

http://hackmii.com/2009/03/my-6-hour-trip-to-the-dark-side/

I'm not saying he releases bad work, but honestly.... Every new release seems to break something that used to work and it is obvious that each new revision is not begin widely tested. The only reason I even keep his cIOS installed anymore is for the NAND emulation and older picky apps.

He should either release the source code or start doing public beta testing instead of dropping a new buggy revision on the community whenever he feels like it. Until he does either one each release is going to have more problems and bugs.

Pakatus

Trophies
XP
Country
xflak40 said:
i think the source code should be shared, but with a limited number of people (who actually know what to do with it). The last thing we want is for ninty to learn all wanin's tricks and block them

Or like cIOSrev15/16 hundreds versions like the usb loader boom...

superbob

Trophies
XP
Country
France
wiiman123 said:
Really doubt source will be released as it hasn't been release ever on Waninkoko's Git hub.
He already said why he didn't release source. It's because it uses code from WiiGator who must give his permission.
Waninkoko said that when WiiGator give his permission, he will release the source code of his cIOS. (he said it somewhere here in the forum).
If I'm not wrong some "parts" of the cIOS are available on his git repository, however the whole stuff isn't currently available ...

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
wiiman123 said:
Really doubt source will be released as it hasn't been release ever on Waninkoko's Git hub.
That's because WiiGator is the author of the DIP-Module, the main part of the cIOS. So he needs to agree first too. At least as far as I know...not 100% shure here...
unsure.gif

Though, I don't think there will be an cIOS rev17. I think it's time to release the Source, and let the community or some selected Coders continue. Full Open-Source isn't a good idea I guess, Nintendo will try to fix it finaly then. But releasing the Source to some trusted Coders would be great. I would also love to see some competition, like it happend in the USB-Loaders, which took it to the next level in the GUI (WiiFlow) and the Stability and Features (CFG-Loader).

So: Source-Code instead of an rev17 would be a better idea, in my opinion.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Blue-K said:
Full Open-Source isn't a good idea I guess, Nintendo will try to fix it finaly then.

Releasing the source would make no difference to nintendo.
They know how it works.

cluey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Even though CIOS cannot support GameCube functionality. I would like a feature to run gamecube games via USB on the Wii.

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What I would like:
1. The "anti-error 001 system" to be redone, as I think it's what's screwing with DL support
2. Some generic BCA data included, and implemented in the cIOS (preferably in the DIP), so that 1:1 copies of BCA-protected games will work (example NSMBW)
3. to switch to a newer base IOS, like 56 or 58, which natively have USB support of some kind (58 has it's own echi module), and also because these 2 support Korean key
4. to add complete Korean key support. Everybody seems to forget about the Koreans.
5. source code available for all components of the cIOS. If WiiGator is the original creator of the custom DIP module, where is he? (I want to speak to him) That way we could talk to him about permissions and release of the DIP plugin source.
6. MOST IMPORTANT! A s**tload more beta testing before release. Test EVERY cIOS component thoroughly before release, that way 001 errors and whatnot are seen before it's given to the public.

these are some pretty big demands though...
Waninkoko is providing this to people free of charge...
I wonder if money will inspire him or persuade him to meet these demands...

@Waninkoko, if you're reading...
I can help with Korean Key support, if you choose to move the base IOS to 56 or 58, or any IOS higher than 38.
Do you have a paypal account?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
And how about some GOOD metal for the installer.
A volume option would be nice too. I hate having to turn my TV down when I run the installer, since at normal viewing levels, the installer music is BLARING! For those who detest metal music, a mute setting could be added.

QUOTEES_PrintMoney()
lol. It would be a useful function...i'd be able to buy my games instead.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
da_letter_a said:
What I would like:
1. The "anti-error 001 system" to be redone, as I think it's what's screwing with DL support
2. Some generic BCA data included, and implemented in the cIOS (preferably in the DIP), so that 1:1 copies of BCA-protected games will work (example NSMBW)
3. to switch to a newer base IOS, like 56 or 58, which natively have USB support of some kind (58 has it's own echi module), and also because these 2 support Korean key
4. to add complete Korean key support. Everybody seems to forget about the Koreans.
5. source code available for all components of the cIOS. If WiiGator is the original creator of the custom DIP module, where is he? (I want to speak to him) That way we could talk to him about permissions and release of the DIP plugin source.
6. MOST IMPORTANT! A s**tload more beta testing before release. Test EVERY cIOS component thoroughly before release, that way 001 errors and whatnot are seen before it's given to the public.1. The DL error started in rev14, probably because he added some sort of advanced-read caching function that didn't account for dual-layer discs. Why he hasn't fixed it as of two revs later is beyond me.
2. Even implemented via loader would be nice. I not sure whose ignorant idea it was to patch the BCA data into 0x100 of the disc image, but I'm even more surprised that Waninkoko followed through on supporting it.
3. Would be nice. Support of IOS37 would also be good (as this is probably the biggest reason Hermes' cIOS is used). Depends on when he decides to make the jump I suppose.
4. Neutral. Kind of a niche market though.
5. I think he's afraid to reveal how much of his code is cobbled together from other sources, or simply doesn't care.
6. Yes please. He just kinda drops revisions like newborn baby giraffes.
7. Fix SD support. I don't know why we accept this trend of "adding-functionality-by-breaking-stuff", but if he knows enough to get into trouble, he should know enough to get out of it as well.

QUOTEAnd how about some GOOD metal for the installer.
How about we just not include audio files that triple the size of the application, especially when his webhost is already mind-numbingly slow? And I know he's fond of that anime-guy and rainbow-gradient backgrounds, but I'd much prefer the classic white-on-black. I'm modifying a Wii, not playing a Flash game.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Szalkow said:
da_letter_a said:
Right now, it might be possible, but if Nintendo is clever, soon all newer games will have it, and then it's realy the dumbest/annoying/time-taking thing you can do. Just let the Users patch their disc if they still want to still use discs/free Backups. That's the risk they took, and hey, it's still free, so they shouldn't moan.
5. source code available for all components of the cIOS. If WiiGator is the original creator of the custom DIP module, where is he? (I want to speak to him). That way we could talk to him about permissions and release of the DIP plugin source.
Good luck on that. He's even more quiet than c4eva (Xbox360 Users probably get it). He was last seen here on the 30th August 2009...
5. I think he's afraid to reveal how much of his code is cobbled together from other sources (...).
In my Opinion (and also Marcans one, which probably counts more) he's a great coder which understands how this works. So I can't imagine that he (unlike someone other) put it together from other sources.
7. Fix SD support.
If you mean proper SD-Handling, for example for DLC, then I'm with you. Looks like SNEEKv2 won't show up, and I badly need some space
tongue.gif
-Blue-K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...