Homebrew Checkpoint, a simple and fast save manager

PedroKeitawa

Trophies
Website
natsunokaze.altervista.org
XP
Country
Italy
For what i read this app also work with DS game. But for me, i use the 3dsx version (no cia basicly), i used it strat right it show all my game on the system but it dosen't detect the DS cartridge. I try to backup the save file from Pokemon Black 2, then i try other DS game (mostly are japanese, only my pokemon game are EU from my DS library) but same thing happen.

Reactions: THYPLEX

EventAssistant

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For what i read this app also work with DS game. But for me, i use the 3dsx version (no cia basicly), i used it strat right it show all my game on the system but it dosen't detect the DS cartridge. I try to backup the save file from Pokemon Black 2, then i try other DS game (mostly are japanese, only my pokemon game are EU from my DS library) but same thing happen.
would you like to check the readme before?

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is there a way to restore saves for games that are installed, but don't have their savedata initialized yet?

Having to start (and in some cases play) each game before it shows up get's old quite fast.

EventAssistant

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there a way to restore saves for games that are installed, but don't have their savedata initialized yet?

Having to start (and in some cases play) each game before it shows up get's old quite fast.
If a game hasn't been played at all, it doesn't have a save archive accessible. It's a technical issue, you're required to save at least once.

Perfect One

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sometimes when i open Checkpoint (the cia version), it just freezes at black screen with homebrew name, which force me to turn off my 2ds by pressing power button for a long time.

Is that a known issue or what?

I am trying to run it on my new 2ds xl on 11.6 fw with luma 8.1.1.

I also noticed that it works when i try to open it a 2nd time after already opened it before.

Edit:

After injecting a save from another 3ds, the game detect that and says need to delete the save before going with the game.

Is there a way to make this your program make Mario Maker save and extdata import work?

Thanks.

Last edited by Perfect One,

Gcentrex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@EventAssistant

I'm currently playing Pokemon Black over and noticed it did not detect the game as im using the 3dsx version as per;

If you want to have DS cartridge recognition with Rosalina-based Homebrew Launchers: inject the Homebrew Launcher in a title with has access to DS saves.

But it did work on another system, once I made sure Luma had enabled "Patch ARM9 access" it now shows the DS game and dumped the save correctly maybe you could add that as another way to make it work to the OP?

Reactions: Quantumcat

aarti

Killua Zoldyck
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
After using Checkpoint, I can't close it. I have to turn down the 3DS, but it ends in a stack dump

Luuacks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, amazing tool. I have, however, run into an issue. When trying to backup Pokemon Platinum, it tells me that the backup was a success, but when i check the file, it is 0kb and completely useless. It works fine with my other 3ds games. If anyone has a suggestion for a thicko like me it would be greatly appreciated.

Cyber Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a bit confused how to do a backup of all titles at once.

Do I hold Y, then press A and choose backup? Because even when I hold Y to multi-select all titles, I still have to enter an individual title in order to choose backup/restore. I can't tell even when you have multiple titles selected if it's backing up every selected title, or just the one you entered.

Chars

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks, this was a lifesaver!
Updating Animal Crossing New Leaf with Amiibo update on old 3DS CFW Luma, and moving files between SD/PC, not realising it would cause the dreaded 'cannot use save data because it was not the last data saved' error when launching ACNL due to games anti-cheat protection thinking I was trying to cheat by using another save file.
Tried rewiring the whole SD with previous nights backup...same error! Read the forums regarding Hex editing and ACNL save editor.
When that all failed and then finally found this post, didn't realise I already had this installed as part of the CFW guide I followed on 3ds-hacks-guide a week ago, simply launched Checkpoint with SD loaded with old backup, backed up save, then restored same save whilst still in Checkpoint and BAM, done in 1 minute what I'd spent almost 4 hours trying to resolve!
Again many thanks

Reactions: Michierusama

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question / issue 1:

I was attempting to backup my Sky3DS+ save and use it for the same game after installing as a cia. I could not find an easy way to do it, since after I installed the cia Checkpoint failed to display the game at all. (I'm using Mario Kart 7 as my example.) Checkpoint also seemed to be corrupted and periodically crashed.

I think the problem was Checkpoint is confused when you backup from a cart and then have a cia-installed game that is the same ID. It seemed to be corrupted and not show the cia-installed version at all. I deleted all the cached data in the SD:\3ds\Checkpoint folder (while copying out my original save first). Then I ran Checkpoint and it pulled in the cia-installed games properly. Finally I shut down, took out the SD card and manually copied the original save to the backup folder made from the cia version. I booted back up, started Checkpoint, and restored that file. It worked.

It seems like a pretty convoluted way of doing it, so if anyone has a better idea let me know.

Question / issue 2:

If I use the save from Sky3DS+ (which was originally generated using my own cartridge dump and private header) will the header also be safe to use online when restoring from Checkpoint? The cia I installed was created from the .3DS file that I dumped from my cartridge. I don't want to put myself in position to be banned when playing online.

Thanks!

BetterDuck

I am truly remarded
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question / issue 1:

I was attempting to backup my Sky3DS+ save and use it for the same game after installing as a cia. I could not find an easy way to do it, since after I installed the cia Checkpoint failed to display the game at all. (I'm using Mario Kart 7 as my example.) Checkpoint also seemed to be corrupted and periodically crashed.

I think the problem was Checkpoint is confused when you backup from a cart and then have a cia-installed game that is the same ID. It seemed to be corrupted and not show the cia-installed version at all. I deleted all the cached data in the SD:\3ds\Checkpoint folder (while copying out my original save first). Then I ran Checkpoint and it pulled in the cia-installed games properly. Finally I shut down, took out the SD card and manually copied the original save to the backup folder made from the cia version. I booted back up, started Checkpoint, and restored that file. It worked.

It seems like a pretty convoluted way of doing it, so if anyone has a better idea let me know.

Question / issue 2:

If I use the save from Sky3DS+ (which was originally generated using my own cartridge dump and private header) will the header also be safe to use online when restoring from Checkpoint? The cia I installed was created from the .3DS file that I dumped from my cartridge. I don't want to put myself in position to be banned when playing online.

Thanks!
So I assume you're playing on a 3ds with cfw now, right? In that case you won't get banned for playing online, you don't have to worry about headers or anything like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo