Emulation Cemu and XCX not running as good as I heard.

crimsonedge11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PC Specs:

I5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
12 GBs DDR3 1600mhz
R9 390
Windows 10 64 bit

Cemu 1.7.0b

XCX runs 10-12fps in battles, most places outdoors after starting the game are 10-15fps. New Los Angeles is 10-15fps.

I saw reports of people with similar CPUs to mine, and worse, reporting 25-30fps. That's not even close to what I'm getting. Half that speed at best.

Here is the doc that talks about performance on specific games with specific specs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...2eHOPl06Rx4tCvfud_Hpw/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

Is there some sort of magic configuration settings for XCX that double the speed? If not, then quite a few people are lying about their shown performance.

I OC'd my CPU to 4.7ghz, which is the highest clock rate this CPU will even boot at, just for a quick run, and I don't believe it got me even 1fps over running it @ 4.2ghz. No noticeable difference. Unfortunately I can't keep this CPU cool @ 1.43X Vcore, or I'd be running 4.7ghz instead of 4.2.

An R9 390, or equivalent GPU can run 4k with no performance hit whatsoever. Zero performance impact between regular textures and 4k. So I don't believe the performance issues are GPU related.

Last edited by crimsonedge11,

IIYAMA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You must be new to emulation . Cemu need to generate its own shader cache , just like Dolphin Emu
It creates the shaders for later use, so it doesn't have to compile them again during runtime. You'll get slight stutters at first , but as you play longer, it should go away
You should play Xenoblade for 30mins , close Cemu then run it again

crimsonedge11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I'm not new to emulation. Been running emulators since the original ZSNES. ePSXe, SSF, PCSX2, Dolphin, GBA, NDS emulators, etc.

Even after the shader cache is generated for a specific area (I've played 30 minute sessions), the FPS doesn't go higher than a certain amount. There is stuttering that makes the game drop to 6-8fps, which appears to go away after you play for awhile, but the average frame rate doesn't appear to increase.

If someone has a shader cache file for the game uploaded, I can try it and see what happens. I read up that shader cache files can be transferred in 1.7.0b.

If anyone here has a similar CPU to mine (within 1 generation), and you're getting considerably better FPS than I'm reporting, can you share your configuration?

Performance appears to be CPU architecture related. I have seen videos where people are running I7 6700ks and getting 25-30fps walking around an in battles. Dolphin is the same way, the newer Intel CPUs just run the emulator considerably faster (I believe Haswell or newer). If that happens to be the case with Cemu, then I'll accept it. But there is still some confusion due to the devs not posting any recommended specs for this emulator, combined with people reporting inaccurate performance results and/or are not sharing their configuration settings.

IIYAMA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's weird. Is your GPU running at maximum speed ? Since both AMD and Nvidia don't optimize performance for emulator , I have to do it myself : I force maximum performance out of my GTX 750ti (default setting = optimal performance) via Nvidia CP and that should be AMD Crimson CC on your end . If I don't do this , my card will throttle for sure .

Last edited by IIYAMA,

crimsonedge11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can double check, just to be thorough. But I believe I have everything like that already set up.

The only setting in AMD crimson related to that is power efficiency, and it's "on or off". It's set to off.

The windows related power settings are all "high performance".

I don't believe this is GPU related, or I'd see a detrimental performance impact between default textures, and 4k. But they both run the same performance.

Xalphenos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone here has a similar CPU to mine (within 1 generation), and you're getting considerably better FPS than I'm reporting, can you share your configuration?
I have an i5-2500k i'm running at 4.5 ghz. How far into the game do you have to get before the performance tanks. I just started playing and was pretty impressed with the FPS. What a shame if you can play the intro to the game fine and have it tank like that later.

Anyway I was getting upper 20s even a smooth 30 sometimes at the beginning even in those first couple of battles. Then after Elma tells you to sprint to the base I get low to mid 20s running around in that area outside the base. The battle with the Grexes was the lowest fps I saw between 14 and 18. Got smoother as I killed them. After that I ran around and explored the world a bit instead of going inside. All other fights and running around are between 22 and 30 fps. 22fps was really the lowest and that was swimming. I'm guessing the water rendering did that? If the game doesn't tank until after the prologue then I see why people are reporting avg 25fps on i5 2500. I would probably report that as well having gone no further.

Relevant pc Specs:
i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz
16gb ddr3 2133mhz
gtx 1070

Cemu Config is stock as far as I can tell. I havn't done anything to it's settings other than tick vsync and fullscreen when I want to go fullscreen. Only been using it a few days.

Last edited by Xalphenos,

crimsonedge11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is Cemu one of those programs that benefits greatly from faster system ram? Like would there be a huge difference in performance with DDR3 1600mhz vs 2133mhz? Because that's the only thing I see that might explain it. This motherboard supports up to 2133mhz ram.

IIYAMA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think so . I also have 1600MHz DDR3 RAM and Xenoblade still run well...
From what I heard from most AMD users here , Cemu doesn't like AMD GPU (Graphic glitches on many games , even Xenoblade) . I have no idea about its performance though , you can take my word with a grain of salt
There are many things that could harm your PC performance ... Sometimes even a stupid thing like a loose Sata cable ...Or your processor does not sit correctly etc...

crimsonedge11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try it again in a couple months, and if there haven't been any speed increases, I'll just forget about it until I get a new PC.

tedios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
CPU: Intel i5-4690k (stock clock)
RAM: 8GB ddr3 forgot the memory speed
GPU: GTX 970
Stock Cemu config, but full cached shaders your best bet is to get cached shaders from someone
I get between 25-30 everywhere except heavily populated zones with 30+ enemies on the screen then my fps drops to 15-20ish.

mangotowel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theres an option somewhere (havnt used cemu in awhile) that sets the graphics render lower from medium. It gives huge performance boost with barely noticeable changes. (yea can't even go over 24 fps unless i change that if i remember correctly, and tats with a gtx 1070)

Williamh695

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I to was having issues getting 30 FPS on most games I tested. I dont have a crazy computer, i5 3.3Ghz 8 gb ram and a GTX 550Ti. After Googling and watching non helpful videos I stated messing around with the settings in NVIDIA Control Panel. The one setting I changed that made it run crazy good was Threaded optimiazation. This was set to AUTO for CEMU. SO I just just changed it to ON. Restarted it and went to test xenoblade again, I was getting 15 FPS. Now im getting 28-30. The game is playable now! This was the one game that was giving me the most issue.

Reactions: Xalphenos

Williamh695

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I did. And im getting it now that its tweaked. Been doing almost 30 the entire time now. I think its stating to warm up :P

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, a Sandy Bridge in 2017 is slightly outdated. And nope, I'm not an Nvidia elitist. I just know that CemU runs the best with an NVidia GPU. We all know Intel integrated GPUs are crap, and while AMD ones are supported, the emulator doesn't run as good as with an Nvidia one.

Williamh695

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, a Sandy Bridge in 2017 is slightly outdated. And nope, I'm not an Nvidia elitist. I just know that CemU runs the best with an NVidia GPU. We all know Intel integrated GPUs are crap, and while AMD ones are supported, the emulator doesn't run as good as with an Nvidia one.

Then why is mine running great now? I think my processor great. More then enough to run everything I need. Now it runs CemU just fine with my non NVIDIA gpu. I was just testing, I can run it at 1080 but not 4k. I dont have anything 4k so who cares. I think most people dont want to upgrade to something that will cost them more then the WiiU itself just to play a game or two. Please remember this is a forum to help people. If you dont have anything helpful to say then say nothing at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...