Hacking Official CBHC v1.6 - ColdBoot HaxChi CFW

Hossain Al-Khulaif

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haxchi can't install anything, so I'll assume you mean that Haxchi started Homebrew Launcher, and from there you ran WupInstaller and selected CBHC. That would be the normal way to install.
Did you copy the CBHC directory from the zip file to the root of your SD card? "DON'T TOUCH ME" comes from the title.txt in that directory. If you didn't do that, you can do it now, then just rerun the CBHC installer.

What do you mean by installing with wup installer ?
I just ran Haxchi and when it started the Homebrew Launcher i have launched the CBHC Installer from it and completed the installation.

And yes i have the files already in my SD card from the latest release (sd/cbhc, sd/haxchi) and i can see that .txt file on CBHC folder contains the (DONT TOUCH ME) text.

Now i have deleted Haxchi files.

Thanks.

Last edited by Hossain Al-Khulaif,

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean installing by wup installer ?
I just ran Haxchi and when it started the Homebrew Launcher i have launched the CBHC Installer from it and completed the installation.
Yes, that's correct. My text is wrong, I'll edit it. Just rerun the CBHC installer with no USB connected and see if the icon sets properly this time.

cooldasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

I've recently run into an unusual problem, and I can't track down the source. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

I've got CBHC v1.6 (the latest from FIX94) correctly installed on my system (a US region system) booting to SysMenu with HaxchiCFW (I'm not using MochaCFW or a custom firmware image), and I can run eshop games and use DLC installed through the brazilian method. I've also hacked my vWii, but I haven't touched any of the system IOS files, but I've set it up so that it can run USB Loader GX using IOS 249. When I first set it up, I also installed some Wii games from the eshop using the brazilian method (specifically, I installed and tested the Metroid Prime Trilogy and Skyward Sword and they worked perfectly). However, yesterday I got New Super Mario Bros Wii EUR region and installed it using the brazilian method. My understanding was that CBHC region patched the system, so I thought that this would work, and New Super Mario Bros Wii has not been released on the US eshop. However, I forgot that the vWii might not be willing to play New Super Mario Bros Wii EUR.

New Super Mario Bros Wii EUR installed just fine, but when I tried to play it, I just got a frozen console with a black screen that I eventually had to unplug and replug to get it to reset (the power button wouldn't reset the console). I figured that the vWii wouldn't play EUR region eshop Wii games, and I uninstalled it.

However, and here's where I'm having problems. Now I can't play any Wii games from the eshop. I don't know for certain that they were working immediately before I installed New Super Mario Bros Wii EUR, but they were definitely working at some point with CBHC (though there is a chance it was an earlier version). Now whenever I try to play a Wii eshop game, the console freezes at a black screen and after waiting thirty seconds or so, it reboots.

I can start the vWii fine from the System Menu, and I can play games fine on my vWii. In fact, I have the Wii eshop games that I was trying to install using the brazilian method, but I just thought it might be easier to launch them from the Wii U menu instead of having to go to the vWii and go to USB Loader, so it's not the biggest deal in the world if I can't get Wii eshop games working again, but I would like to understand what happened.

Have I messed something up by trying to start a EUR region Wii eshop game? And is there a way to fix it? Or is there another likely cause to my problem? I can't remember for certain that Wii eshop games were working after I hacked the vWii, but I believe that they were. Is it possible that I'm mistaken and that hacking the vWii makes Wii eshop games unplayable? I followed "The Definite vWii Hacking Guide" on GBAtemp to the letter, except I used the WUPhax method with HackMii to get the homebrew channel installed.

I really appreciate any help.

EDIT: It turns out that it was my USB drive. Apparently the hand off for the USB drive is wonky when you start a Wii eShop game because it has to handoff the USB drive to the vWii. I had Wii eShop games working previously, but then I switched USB drives for a separate issue, and I must have only had it working with the other USB drive. I tried the other USB drive and Wii eShop games worked again. I then went back to the problematic drive, and the games stopped working. I also tried moving the games to the internal storage, and they worked on the internal storage. So, apparently that drive doesn't work with Wii eShop games, even though it works with all other Wii U games that I've tried.

I haven't gone back and tried the EUR New Super Mario Bros Wii. I'm a little gun shy, though, and I will just have to use my vWii directly instead of using Wii eShop games since I'm sticking with this drive, so I won't test it. If anyone has any information about other region Wii games on the Wii U with the Brazilian method, please let me know.

Last edited by cooldasher,

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey everyone,

I've recently run into an unusual problem, and I can't track down the source. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

I've got CBHC v1.6 (the latest from FIX94) correctly installed on my system (a US region system) booting to SysMenu with HaxchiCFW (I'm not using MochaCFW or a custom firmware image), and I can run eshop games and use DLC installed through the brazilian method. I've also hacked my vWii, but I haven't touched any of the system IOS files, but I've set it up so that it can run USB Loader GX using IOS 249. When I first set it up, I also installed some Wii games from the eshop using the brazilian method (specifically, I installed and tested the Metroid Prime Trilogy and Skyward Sword and they worked perfectly). However, yesterday I got New Super Mario Bros Wii EUR region and installed it using the brazilian method. My understanding was that CBHC region patched the system, so I thought that this would work, and New Super Mario Bros Wii has not been released on the US eshop. However, I forgot that the vWii might not be willing to play New Super Mario Bros Wii EUR.

New Super Mario Bros Wii EUR installed just fine, but when I tried to play it, I just got a frozen console with a black screen that I eventually had to unplug and replug to get it to reset (the power button wouldn't reset the console). I figured that the vWii wouldn't play EUR region eshop Wii games, and I uninstalled it.

However, and here's where I'm having problems. Now I can't play any Wii games from the eshop. I don't know for certain that they were working immediately before I installed New Super Mario Bros Wii EUR, but they were definitely working at some point with CBHC (though there is a chance it was an earlier version). Now whenever I try to play a Wii eshop game, the console freezes at a black screen and after waiting thirty seconds or so, it reboots.

I can start the vWii fine from the System Menu, and I can play games fine on my vWii. In fact, I have the Wii eshop games that I was trying to install using the brazilian method, but I just thought it might be easier to launch them from the Wii U menu instead of having to go to the vWii and go to USB Loader, so it's not the biggest deal in the world if I can't get Wii eshop games working again, but I would like to understand what happened.

Have I messed something up by trying to start a EUR region Wii eshop game? And is there a way to fix it? Or is there another likely cause to my problem? I can't remember for certain that Wii eshop games were working after I hacked the vWii, but I believe that they were. Is it possible that I'm mistaken and that hacking the vWii makes Wii eshop games unplayable? I followed "The Definite vWii Hacking Guide" on GBAtemp to the letter, except I used the WUPhax method with HackMii to get the homebrew channel installed.

I really appreciate any help.
I can only tell you that not all games will work from different regions even with region free using Brazilian method. Wipeout 3 is the only Usa disc game I know that won't work on euro console. I've also read that Pikmin Usa Wii will not work on euro system either with region free. As to the rest of your issues I'm unsure that running that game would do any impact on other games installed.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just tested it on my euro Wii U and it obviously plays fine so there's not an issue with the game. Yes it does look good having that game on the home menu so I'm gonna keep it :)
IMG_5727.jpg

cooldasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can only tell you that not all games will work from different regions even with region free using Brazilian method. Wipeout 3 is the only Usa disc game I know that won't work on euro console. I've also read that Pikmin Usa Wii will not work on euro system either with region free. As to the rest of your issues I'm unsure that running that game would do any impact on other games installed.

Just tested it on my euro Wii U and it obviously plays fine so there's not an issue with the game. Yes it does look good having that game on the home menu so I'm gonna keep it :)
IMG_5727.jpg

Ok, so have you played Wii eshop games from the USA region on your EUR Wii U? Have they worked fine? The same thing is happening for all Wii games that happened for the New Super Mario Bros Wii EUR game, so it's possible that trying to play that game had nothing to do with it, and something else has happened. However, my Wii games were working, and the vWii still works (I also tested it with one of my disc games), so I'm kind of stumped.

Thanks for your response!

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so have you played Wii eshop games from the USA region on your EUR Wii U? Have they worked fine? The same thing is happening for all Wii games that happened for the New Super Mario Bros Wii EUR game, so it's possible that trying to play that game had nothing to do with it, and something else has happened. However, my Wii games were working, and the vWii still works (I also tested it with one of my disc games), so I'm kind of stumped.

Yes other Wii games from USA work fine on my euro system. I read on a certain site though that only the pikmin usa version don't work on euro system but I've not tried that one. It's strange that none work for you now. Have you tested non Wii games installed to see if they still run. Just suggesting your hardrive may be faulty cause that's all I can think is the problem.

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy

Try to reinstall vWii VC games... but this issue... it's weird :wink:

vWii VC don't touch the system/other games in any way....

cooldasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes other Wii games from USA work fine on my euro system. I read on a certain site though that only the pikmin usa version don't work on euro system but I've not tried that one. It's strange that none work for you now. Have you tested non Wii games installed to see if they still run. Just suggesting your hardrive may be faulty cause that's all I can think is the problem.

I have tried non-Wii games (including virtual console games, eshop games, and games with DLC) and they all still work fine.

Try to reinstall vWii VC games... but this issue... it's weird :wink:

vWii VC don't touch the system/other games in any way....

I also deleted all of the Wii eshop games and then reinstalled one to see if it would work, but no dice. I have a separate hard drive for USB loader gx and I've unplugged that one and tried my hard drive in both back ports. I don't know what's going on here.

Thanks to both of you for your responses!

C0mm4nd_

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
I have tried non-Wii games (including virtual console games, eshop games, and games with DLC) and they all still work fine.

I also deleted all of the Wii eshop games and then reinstalled one to see if it would work, but no dice. I have a separate hard drive for USB loader gx and I've unplugged that one and tried my hard drive in both back ports. I don't know what's going on here.

Thanks to both of you for your responses!
Maybe some nn libs got damaged?

cooldasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe some nn libs got damaged?

I'm not certain what this means or how it would happen? How would I go about fixing it? Or is it even possible? I haven't done any hacking on the Wii U side of things except for installing CBHC and the homebrew channel, and then installing games via the Brazilian method. I don't have any other installed channels.

I also made a nand backup of my vWii and backed up the IOSs as indicated in "The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide."

C0mm4nd_

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
I'm not certain what this means or how it would happen? How would I go about fixing it? Or is it even possible? I haven't done any hacking on the Wii U side of things except for installing CBHC and the homebrew channel, and then installing games via the Brazilian method. I don't have any other installed channels.

I also made a nand backup of my vWii and backed up the IOSs as indicated in "The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide."
nn libs are used all around the Cafe OS, they contain some calls to do things...
The vWii VC ones are nn_hai nn_hai_user and nn_cmpt
Dunno if they can be shared... Maybe this thing could fix the problem

cooldasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nn libs are used all around the Cafe OS, they contain some calls to do things...
The vWii VC ones are nn_hai nn_hai_user and nn_cmpt
Dunno if they can be shared... Maybe this thing could fix the problem

Any idea on how I would have corrupted those? Also, how would I go about determining whether I could use someone else's copy? Finally, I've seen talk of people starting an FTP server on their Wii U and then tinkering with the files, is that how I would replace them?

C0mm4nd_

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
Any idea on how I would have corrupted those? Also, how would I go about determining whether I could use someone else's copy? Finally, I've seen talk of people starting an FTP server on their Wii U and then tinkering with the files, is that how I would replace them?
Yes, with FTPiiU everywhere

For how... Wii U is weird.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq

IMG_5727.jpg

that looks nice, i 'd like to ask, are there many Wii titles available as VC or just a few ?
thanks. (and where do you usually get them? i have nusgrabber, and i can also think of the famous site haha)

and a question for you and everyone else is about CBHC , i just now some hour ago purchased brain age and installed haxchi (latest) and downloaded the cbhc 1.6 , so for now i have Haxchi installed ,the brain age game icon turned into haxchi icon , i loaded it (had the default boot in its config set to fw.img)

i had already went through the iosu installation some month ago and had my fw.img inside the root of my SD card, and haxchi booted into the wii u again with signature patched files and i tested MK8 (Retail disc) with some DLC's i had installed through Wupinstaller and it all worked fine, this means Haxchi is correctly installed, so my question is can i now assume i can safely install CBHC app ' elf file over the currently installed Haxchi that i have ? Edit: and also can i keep the haxchi folder in the root of my SD along with the cbhc folder? i ask as they contain similar files -something like > boottrkdx .tga

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

cooldasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, with FTPiiU everywhere

For how... Wii U is weird.

C0mm4nd_, I saw that you had a thread where you were also trying to get Wii eShop games from a different region to work on vWii (specifically, https://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-region-free.451563/). However, you don't indicate in that thread what the resolution was. Did you just end up trying it and having it work? Or was there something that you did to make it work?

Also, I just realized that you have a forwarder channel on your Wii U to USB Loader GX. How did you do that? That would probably be perfect to jump straight into USB Loader GX instead of having to first boot up the vWii and then going to USB Loader.

Edit: Also, is there any way you could send me the MD5 hashes for nn_hai, nn_hai_user, and nn_cmpt? That way if the hash is the same, I know that's not the problem. Of course if the hashes are different, it may just mean that those are console specific, not that I have a problem with them...

Last edited by cooldasher,

C0mm4nd_

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
C0mm4nd_, I saw that you had a thread where you were also trying to get Wii eShop games from a different region to work on vWii (specifically, https://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-region-free.451563/). However, you don't indicate in that thread what the resolution was. Did you just end up trying it and having it work? Or was there something that you did to make it work?

Also, I just realized that you have a forwarder channel on your Wii U to USB Loader GX. How did you do that? That would probably be perfect to jump straight into USB Loader GX instead of having to first boot up the vWii and then going to USB Loader.
With the vWii thing I gave up for now... for the USB Loader GX just install the fordwarder from here https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/#35 then pick & config hbl2hbc and the Wii U Fordwarder for hbl2hbc

cooldasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the vWii thing I gave up for now... for the USB Loader GX just install the fordwarder from here https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/#35 then pick & config hbl2hbc and the Wii U Fordwarder for hbl2hbc

Ok. I must have misunderstood you. You said earlier that other Wii games from the US work on your system, but you meant that other Wii games from the US work on your system using something like USB Loader GX? Wii games from the US eShop do not work on your system, correct?

Thanks for the info on the forwarder for hbl2hbc. I hadn't seen that.

C0mm4nd_

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
Ok. I must have misunderstood you. You said earlier that other Wii games from the US work on your system, but you meant that other Wii games from the US work on your system using something like USB Loader GX? Wii games from the US eShop do not work on your system, correct?

Thanks for the info on the forwarder for hbl2hbc. I hadn't seen that.
I never said that Wii games from USA works on my console...
But yes, they'll work on USB Loader GX
btw vWii VC from another region doesn't work because Wii U launches vWii and the vWii launches the game... but the game is not from the vWii region so it'll fail on launch

Last edited by C0mm4nd_,

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
I never said that Wii games from USA works on my console...
But yes, they'll work on USB Loader GX
btw vWii VC from another region doesn't work because Wii U launches vWii and the vWii launches the game... but the game is not from the vWii region so it'll fail on launch
If you change the region in the meta.xml of the game the Wii vc will play games from other regions

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you feed the hamster in your internet router? It prob died and is running slow now.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why did you start saying my pc has a hamster in the first place?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Itch.io has lots of free assets also. Under the bullets behavior tab, there is a "rotate bullets" option, can try that. Or in the code can try
    - fire bullet Player.X(PlayerDirection)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im taking a break for today anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    YEa gotta after a while, looking at code for long periods will bug your eyes.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to learn, but fun once you get the hang of it. I think I've watched every tutorial video there is, but I still struggle sometimes to get stuff to work right. But gotta keep trying dif things, and eventually you will get it right.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol McDonald's has a grandma mcflurry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, furry grandma?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It sounds good actually, I like butterscotch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It sucked don't know wtf these little bits and pieces are they use now
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It sucked don't know wtf these little bits and pieces are they use now +1