Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Cave Story DS port!

Classic indie game ported to the DS!

RavenWorks has begun work on a port of the classic indie game Cave Story to the Nintendo DS! This is still WIP so a lot of things are missing but you can check out the current build by downloading below.
RavenWorks said:
Enjoy! Very sorry it took so long to get this far, but actually between this demo and the last one I completely rewrote the entire graphics engine from scratch; the whole damn thing runs on the 3D hardware now. (Except the far backgrounds, anyway.) But it should look the same; this way just lets me use way more of Pixel's original DirectX code without needing to adapt anything for the DS's 2D core.

Anyway, major things we're still missing: HP, guns, SFX, and scripts! I was tempted to add guns, but rather than open that can of worms I just released it as-is, they'll be in the next one ;P Event scripts are a biggie, of course. Everything else is pretty minor and just needs to be implemented...

Anyway, enjoy! Lemme know if there are problems.. (If anyone can put their finger on why my .NDS icons work on some hardware but not others, please do..)

Oh, and if this demo seems to run slower than previous ones -- you're right, because the old ones were running too fast gigahedgehog caught that... turns out Cave Story runs (graphics AND logic!) 50 times per second, not 60. Feel a little embarrassed that I didn't catch that myself, but hey, that's what you guys are here for ;D

So yes! Enjoy
icon11.gif
Download at Home page

Thanks to superkrm for the news!

Reactions: XDel

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
Hooray! This will be my favourite homebrew game by far, once it is finished! How playable is this version?

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
This is one of the best games I've ever played. I played it on PC, and played all the way through (not enough to get every ending and weapon, though). It's just fun all the way through.

Gayle

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.us.gov
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I apologize for the tearing in some of them, that's an emulator bug still. But it's a lot closer to playable in an emulator, so yaaaay.
smile.gif

....And just why would anyone want to play it in an emulator? Anyway, Cave Story is one of the best games ever as far as I'm concerned. Really, I can't wait until this is finished.

damnet

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
nice, cavestory is a downright awesome game, the level design, characters, music, controls are just perfect, I still can't believe 1 guy did it all by himself, of course it took him 5 years but still, I hope someday I can make a game at least half as good as this one.

So I can't think of a better game to port to the ds, can't wait to play another time through on my DS.

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BTW: I'm Gigahedgehog.

Also, heres a youtube I took the other night and uploaded yesterday with the demo running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MfJ7id4-vM

And another thing, this has been in work for about a year now, but it was originally for GBA and switched to DS about 5 months ago. As you read he rewrote the graphics engine so he treaded backwards in development.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait to play it on a DS!

Me + laptop + no gamepad = SUX

I can play this without a gamepad just fine
that depends on the laptop's key layout

btw, what happened to the PSP port?
it was support to have a a mode with updated graphics...I know it'd ruin the perfect atmosphere of the original, but I'd like to see it nonetheless
wink.gif
The PSP port is a commercial game.
http://www.variantinteractive.com/en-us/ga...nt/cs/index.php

You'll be able to choose between new graphic/musical style and old.

damnet

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Can't wait to play it on a DS!

Me + laptop + no gamepad = SUX

I can play this without a gamepad just fine

that depends on the laptop's key layout

btw, what happened to the PSP port?
it was support to have a a mode with updated graphics...I know it'd ruin the perfect atmosphere of the original, but I'd like to see it nonetheless
wink.gif
The PSP port is a commercial game.
http://www.variantinteractive.com/en-us/ga...nt/cs/index.php

You'll be able to choose between new graphic/musical style and old.

Nice, I wish they'd do the same for the DS, this game has everything to be a successful commercial game.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
oh well, to bad I don't own a PSP, and have no intention of getting one either. perhaps for ps1 emulation.
but really cool the ds port! I'm soooo looking forward to raven's progress.
smile.gif
the game is like MADE for DS
wink.gif

oh and I think pixel himself should be making the game if it were to be published and sold as an official game.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
The psp game is pretty shady, they're upgrading all the graphics and changing parts of the game, Pixel (the creator of cavestory) isn't really informed on any of their decisions nor does he have any say.
in other words, they've pretty much stolen and raped the game.

there is a faithful port for PSP also (on the same livejournal page)
and then there's this DS port, which ofcourse I'm far more interested in, it's got pixel's blessing n everything, they even put some money together and bought pixel a DSlite and flash cart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Slappity slap slap