OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.bioware.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello, GBAtemp peeps and pops! You guys don't know me, but... well, I don't know you guys either. BUT! I am here nonetheless as the bearer of terrific and wonderful news! I have fixed up the SNES emulator so that it's better than ever!

I started with the wonderful BAGSFC R3, and I would like to thank BassAceGold very much for both his work and his thoughtfulness in releasing his source code so that projects like this could come out of it without having to redo everything he did. The end result is CATSFC - the first version of the SFC emulator that can actually run Super Mario RPG *WITH SOUND!* This fix also covers multiple other games - I know for sure that this also makes Yoshi's Island playable, and while I haven't gone through to test what other games it helps (as those were the only two I had that weren't already working), I'm certain the changes will help other games, as well. If your favorite game isn't working, give it a try on CATSFC - and if it still isn't working, tell me what the game is and I'll try to fix it. (See below for details on how to report these issues.)

Aside from that compatibility fix, there's one other change I made to the emulator here: fast forward mode can now be enabled WITH SOUND. Of course, it'll run that much faster without sound, but thanks to the sound toggle BassAceGold gave us in BAGSFC, you can still have your cake and eat it too here, giving you multiple options to tweak the performance of your games.

So where can you download CATSFC, you ask? Why, right here (through GitHub) or here (through filetrip)!

For those who want to look at the source or contribute to the progress of DSTWO SNES emulation, I've also set up a git repository for it - feel free to check it out from https://github.com/ShadauxCat/CATSFC and make any changes you think should be made, and then push them back up to me. Hopefully this will help make CATSFC the last separate version of the project, allowing us to keep all the various tweaks and changes people make to the SFC localized in one place - the only reason I used a different name was because I am not the maintainer of either BAGSFC or NDSSFC and would not feel right setting up a repository under those names. (Of course, if you want, you're absolutely free to fork the project and start your own, as well. Just please don't do this without reason, as it gets confusing when we have so many different versions of the SFC floating around.)

Once again, if you find any games that still aren't working with CATSFC, let me know. (See below for details.)

BUGS, FEATURE REQUESTS, AND COMPATIBILITY ISSUES: There is an issue tracker for CATSFC here. If anyone has any bugs or feature requests, please post them there so I can easily keep track of them without having to read through this entire thread, which is quickly becoming too large to be manageable.

DONATIONS: I'm not going to charge anyone for CATSFC or anything like that, nor am I going to ask anyone to donate, but the topic was brought up in the thread. If anyone would LIKE to donate to show your thanks, I accept donations via paypal - you can send any donations you wish to give to shadowcat -DOT- paypal -AT- phasethrough -DOT- com (replace -DOT- with . and -AT- with @). If you don't have paypal, you can instead go to www.swkod.com and click on the "donate" button on the left, and that will go to me, as well.

Update - CATSFC 1.01 - Fixes a bug that caused it to look for the BAGSFC directory instead of the CATSFC directory. Thanks for catching that, RupeeClock!

Update - CATSFC 1.1 - Enables touchscreen support, corrects some of the emulator's Engrish, corrects the language display (it now shows 'English' when you're using English), and makes the recent game list save without having to exit with the "exit" button.

ShadauxCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.bioware.com
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Would you object to us mirroring the download on filetrip.net? It's gbatemp's file/download repository.

Go ahead. I didn't realize, or I would have done it. Give me the link and I'll put it in the main post - or I can go ahead and upload it there myself. Doesn't matter to me.

ShadauxCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.bioware.com
XP
Country
United States
And, first post updated.

RupeeClock said:
Just tried this, and just a heads up.
The program looks for a BAGSFC directory, not a CATSFC directory.

Oh, oops. Lemme fix that real quick and I'll have a new version popping up. Thanks for the heads up!

----

Edit: The file's been updated on GitHub, but I can't update the filetrip link. Rydian, is there any way I can get some sort of ability to update the filetrip page?

ShadauxCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.bioware.com
XP
Country
United States
I'll update it as much as I can. I'd like to add a few more features to it, too, like true touchscreen support for the menus, better English, and a few other things. But my primary focus is trying to make it as compatible as possible with as many games as possible.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amazing work! I hope to try this out tomorrow, but I'll be distracted by Pokemon. Sorry!
biggrin.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey don't worry, you can rest assured that every programmer's spent 15 minutes tracking down a typo or some such minor thing. Those that don't understand how hard programming is and talk down to programmers generally get quite an earful on these forums in return.
lecture.gif

I've replaced the file on filetrip with the corrected version, and also added a news article to the front page about this. Feel free to make a filetrip account, then view the file's page and click the "
icon_update.png
Add new version" link to add updates in the future (and yes, old versions are preserved).

ShadauxCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.bioware.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, trust me, I know exactly how it is. I've been doing this for a while now.
tongue.gif

Did you just replace the version 1 file there? I don't see 1.01 listed. And thanks for pointing that link out - I must be completely dense tonight, as I overlooked it entirely.

Thanks much for the help and the main page article! Always nice to hear my work is appreciated.
biggrin.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Since the original version wasn't properly functional I decided to let 1.01 be the base. While it is important to have older versions, an improperly-functioning compiled version of something is useless. I will change the version number for this one, though.

EDIT: The link changed since the base version number changed.
http://filetrip.net/f24244-CATSFC-1-01.html

ShadauxCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.bioware.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I agree with you wholeheartedly - that's why I deleted the old version on GitHub as well. I'd just compiled it assuming it used a current working directory... and since I still had BAGSFC on my DSTWO while I was testing it, I never noticed the difference.

First post updated with the new link. Thanks again for the assistance with that.

ShadauxCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.bioware.com
XP
Country
United States
Vigilante said:
Cool why not put it as a homebrew bounty entry

You'll have to excuse me... the DSTWO was the first flashcard I've ever owned, I've owned it for a week, and this is my first homebrew project. And this is also my first time posting on GBAtemp. Can you explain what you mean by that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up