ROM Hack Cannot get this Lexar 64 GB SDVC to work on my 3ds...

ELok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, so basically I've reaching the end of my patience....

I bough this SD card on amazon : http://www.amazon.ca/Lexar-Platinum-UHS-I-Memory-LSD64GBSBNA200/dp/B008LR284K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1425075338&sr=8-4&keywords=lexar 64gb

First my Win 8.1 desktop computer cannot detect that SD card through a SD-to-USB dongle. After messing around and been only able to format it to 64 KB, I finally found out that my laptop with Win7 got a SD slot that can detect the card correctly.

So I use this tutorial : https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-use-a-64gb-micro-sdxc-in-your-sdhc-compliant-flash-cart.335912/

And format the 64GB on Fat32.....and my 3DS still doesn't detect it. Even my Desktop computer cannot detect neither. It seem only my laptop does....

Could one of you have any clues on what's happening?

EDIT : It seem that I've finally made the card working by making it a "primary" partition (my Win8.1 still doesn't want to detect it). But copying root of my old SD card make it lose the CIA. Is there a way to kept everything?

ELok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I used both of those simple software it as well. But with some software that really looked full of malware (the sort you download from download.cnet.com), I put the partition as "primary" instead of "logical" and it seem to have fixed the problem.

But copying the root of my old SD card to my new one didn't worked. EmuNAND seem to be back at default, the settings isn't on GW version and my CIA have disappear. To make the thing worst, the CIA have disappear from my old SD card as well. What happened?

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah I used both of those simple software it as well. But with some software that really looked full of malware (the sort you download from download.cnet.com), I put the partition as "primary" instead of "logical" and it seem to have fixed the problem.

But copying the root of my old SD card to my new one didn't worked. EmuNAND seem to be back at default, the settings isn't on GW version and my CIA have disappear. To make the thing worst, the CIA have disappear from my old SD card as well. What happened?
Uh? The files are disappearing from the SD?

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Here's your problem; the 3DS isn't compatible with SDXC memory cards.

Information:
The Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, and Nintendo 2DS systems are compatible with SD cards up to 2GB in size, and SDHC cards of 4GB and larger. All other SD Card types are not considered compatible. miniSD and microSD cards are compatible with the use of an SD card adapter.
The New Nintendo 3DS XL is compatible with microSD cards up to 2 GB in size, and microSDHC cards of 5 GB and larger. All other SD Card types are not considered compatible.
SDXC and microSDXC cards are not considered compatible.

A little research could've saved a lot of time and money (Sorry to be the bearer of bad news).

Anfroid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you're trying to transfer everything including your emunand onto a new card?
Dont listen to Zidapi, just because it doesnt "officially" support it doesnt mean it doesnt work. I did it a transfer from a 32GB to a 64GB a few days ago.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So you're trying to transfer everything including your emunand onto a new card?
Dont listen to Zidapi, just because it doesnt "officially" support it doesnt mean it doesnt work. I did it a transfer from a 32GB to a 64GB a few days ago.
You're right, my reply was poorly phrased.

"Not officially supported" doesn't necessarily mean it won't work definitively, but that it may not work as expected or intended.

ELok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

A little research could've saved a lot of time and money (Sorry to be the bearer of bad news).

Well sorry to disappoint you Zidapi but not only I've made my research before buying (like I always do) but I've also managed to made it work (did you even bothered to read the edit of my first post?). It seem like the "only" problem was to make the partition "primary" instead of "logical". Interesting enough, my Win8.1 desktop still doesn't want to detect it and it ask me to format it to a 64KB card.

Right now, my problem is transferring my CIA backup and savegame. Do you know what are the files to transfer?

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Officially, no they don't, however that's quite literally ONLY because of how they are formatted. If you can get the card formatted to FAT32 Primary partition with i think it's 32kb sectors, it works fine. I've been using a 64gb sandisk card for a good long while now and it works fine. MiniTool partition wizard can do it on windows (probably a slew of other tools too). Gparted should be able to do it on Linux systems. On an OSX Machine, I wouldn't have a clue of where to start.

EDIT: Guide I followed: http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog/2013...-upgrade-your-3ds-sd-card-to-64gb-and-beyond/

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well sorry to disappoint you Zidapi but not only I've made my research before buying (like I always do) but I've also managed to made it work (did you even bothered to read the edit of my first post?). It seem like the "only" problem was to make the partition "primary" instead of "logical". Interesting enough, my Win8.1 desktop still doesn't want to detect it and it ask me to format it to a 64KB card.

Right now, my problem is transferring my CIA backup and savegame. Do you know what are the files to transfer?
I did read your post, but the part about needing to make the SD card's partition "primary" instead of "logical" didn't seem relevant so I dismissed it entirely.

I'd forgotten that you couldn't format it with 32KB clusters with Windows tools, and that you had to do it with a third party program. My "advice" was unhelpful and I admit I posted without putting much thought into it. I'm glad you were able to get good advice in the end.

As for recovering data from the old SD card, the process is this:

Stick the old SD card into your computer and backup your emuNAND with emuNANDtool. Then copy everything from the FAT32 partition to your computer.

Put the new SD card into your 3DS and let it prepare the card. Boot the gateway menu and setup emuNAND.

Put the new SD card into your computer and inject the emuNAND backup you made earlier, then copy the other data back to the FAT32 partition.

That should be all you need to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.