Can you use the pc to store wii u games and play them on wii u?

Thefakesuperidol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I already think this sounds stupid but I wanna know if u can the pc to store wii u files/games on pc and then use the pc to stream the files to wii u and play the game because I don't have much space on my wii u and wanna play smash bros and my wii u cannot read more than 8gb USB sticks/external drives

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
possibly, but I don't know if this can work in this way. moonlight streams from pc to wiiu, but it's for steam iirc. if you could someone use it with dolphin or something, but I dunno.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I did it on the PS2 once, it was quite an interesting experience.

It would be awesome if someone came up with a way to make this possible on the Wii U but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually... kinda. If your PC can decently run CEMU, you could then use Moonlight on your hacked Wii U to stream the Wii U game being played on your PC on your Wii U. though I can't imagine you'd be able to retain proper dual screens. Though I've also never actually used Moonlight on my Wii U (my PC is not particularly powerful), so perhaps that could be feasible? Either way, at the very least, you could stream a Wii U game being played on your PC, on your Wii U. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's in that same realm I'd say.

Thefakesuperidol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Actually... kinda. If your PC can decently run CEMU, you could then use Moonlight on your hacked Wii U to stream the Wii U game being played on your PC on your Wii U. though I can't imagine you'd be able to retain proper dual screens. Though I've also never actually used Moonlight on my Wii U (my PC is not particularly powerful), so perhaps that could be feasible? Either way, at the very least, you could stream a Wii U game being played on your PC, on your Wii U. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's in that same realm I'd say.
Sorry for the late reply but I can already say there's no way in he'll that I can run cemu on my pc it can't even handle the less straining doplhin
Post automatically merged:

But there's another question I have because I have a 2nd wiiu that I don't use because it just rejects and destroys all my USB sticks but in my old laptop there's an hdd but it's 1TB large could u try to get that working on my wii u or is it too large?

Last edited by Thefakesuperidol,
Trophies
XP
But there's another question I have because I have a 2nd wiiu that I don't use because it just rejects and destroys all my USB sticks but in my old laptop there's an hdd but it's 1TB large could u try to get that working on my wii u or is it too large?

Don't use USB Sticks on the Wii U. At all. The Wii U writes a stupid amount of information to them in a small time interval so it'll basically kill the drive immediately. The time-frame can vary depending on multiple factors, but I think we can all agree we'd rather not cause data-corruption and broken drives that aren't even good enough to be a paper-weight.

About the HDD. 1 TB should work, but depending on your drive you may need something like a Y-Cable since the USB Ports on the Wii U give out a laughably low power output. Like I said in some other threads, I would either recommend getting an HDD with an external power supply, since for whatever reason the Wii U likes to cut power to the USB Ports at random, even while under use- or just using a Y-Cable. But for general use a Y-Cable should be fine.

Drives on the Wii U are fickle though, so just try it and see if it works for you right now. If not? Get a Y-Cable. If it still doesn't work, then that drive simply isn't compatible.

EDIT: also wait, do you mean an internal HDD since it was inside of your laptop? That most likely won't even work, so just get an external drive.

Thefakesuperidol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Don't use USB Sticks on the Wii U. At all. The Wii U writes a stupid amount of information to them in a small time interval so it'll basically kill the drive immediately. The time-frame can vary depending on multiple factors, but I think we can all agree we'd rather not cause data-corruption and broken drives that aren't even good enough to be a paper-weight.

About the HDD. 1 TB should work, but depending on your drive you may need something like a Y-Cable since the USB Ports on the Wii U give out a laughably low power output. Like I said in some other threads, I would either recommend getting an HDD with an external power supply, since for whatever reason the Wii U likes to cut power to the USB Ports at random, even while under use- or just using a Y-Cable. But for general use a Y-Cable should be fine.

Drives on the Wii U are fickle though, so just try it and see if it works for you right now. If not? Get a Y-Cable. If it still doesn't work, then that drive simply isn't compatible.

EDIT: also wait, do you mean an internal HDD since it was inside of your laptop? That most likely won't even work, so just get an external drive.
Nah theres an external hdd hooked up inside my laptop but I can scrap that idea because my laptop can't even be opened 🙃

Trophies
XP
Nah theres an external hdd hooked up inside my laptop but I can scrap that idea because my laptop can't even be opened

Everything can be opened.. if you're brave enough 🤣 Just kidding, lmao. But in all seriousness though, I'd just recommend picking up a external HDD. You can get decently sized ones for rather cheap, just make sure they're reputable because you don't want one that's gonna die the second you touch it.

MattchuLeroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you just get an actual external hard drive? I've read that USB sticks weren't really meant for the constant game loading.
I got a 250 GB one for my Wii U.

IF you do decide to go that way, make sure you get a Y-Cable to use with it (only one USB doesn't give it enough power)

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amazing how everyone in the world has usb sticks lying around when they're more expensive than external hdds usually when it comes to how much space you're given.

As mentioned just get a 500 gb external. I always bought used ones on Ebay for $30-$35 (maybe $40 now) and never had any die on me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo