Hacking Can you take save files off of a real DS cart?

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Rein works great. I believe it can only be used with gba slot cards though. which makes sense considering you need the game in slot one.

alsproject

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can also take save files off the original carts if you have a G6 Lite without any additional software as there are options in the main menu to backup or write to game cards.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No rein will not work for the F2A (it writes to the memory card), also with regard to rein nobody to my knowledge has made a DLDI version so you are stuck hunting down cart specific builds (the original does take care of a lot of older carts) or compiling your own.
I only have a link to cory1492's build on hand but a simple search either on one of the mirror/news sites or your carts forum should turn up some more:
http://nds.cmamod.com/2006/11/24/ez4-can-w...ven-faster-now/

All is not lost though for those without a build as you can use a save grabber that uses the SRAM of your cart, there are a couple available the best of which is argueably Etool (it may have issues with some 2mbit or larger saves though):
http://nds.cmamod.com/download.html

If you were so inclined you could buy an action replay device as well.

norki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks FAST6191. I used EToolSMS 2.1. Seems it worked, but there's no way for the F2Ausb writer 1.1 software to transfer the 2mbit save it generated from my Final Fantasy 3 cart to my PC.

Also.. if I'm somehow able to transfer the save to my PC, is there a tool to convert the save to a format the M3DS Simply can read?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I almost missed the reply there, the save you generated should be in RAW format aka the one used by supercard, EZFlash and g6 (the DSX can also import nowadays if I recall).
As for conversion I do not know if outphase's convertor will work (you will have to search the forums I am afraid) but I believe there is some, I do not own one but the FAQs should give an answer. It should definitely be possible though.

faceless

pink sugar heart attack
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks FAST6191. I used EToolSMS 2.1. Seems it worked, but there's no way for the F2Ausb writer 1.1 software to transfer the 2mbit save it generated from my Final Fantasy 3 cart to my PC.

Also.. if I'm somehow able to transfer the save to my PC, is there a tool to convert the save to a format the M3DS Simply can read?
use etool3 instead.

norki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
use etool3 instead.

Why? The issue here is that I can't find a way of retrieving the compressed 2mbit save generated by etoolsms, as the save is reported as being stored in the 6th 64kB slot, but the F2A software can only read 4 64kB slots..

faceless

pink sugar heart attack
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
iirc, etool was actually made before etoolsms, and it only writes one save, not multiple.

anyway, you can read the save from your flashcart with the reader software and decompress it with the etool save app.

biggrin.gif

t0m1th3

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why does everyone act like they have a slot-2 cart? I'm really surprised no one has made a save tool for slot-1 carts yet, and they've been around for long enough now. It *probably* wouldn't be that hard to make a homebrew that fits in the DS's RAM so that you could swap the slot-1 flashcart for the original game, and then swap back again, with the save being retained in RAM. I mean there's 4MB of RAM, so it should technically be possible.

faceless

pink sugar heart attack
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why does everyone act like they have a slot-2 cart? I'm really surprised no one has made a save tool for slot-1 carts yet, and they've been around for long enough now. It *probably* wouldn't be that hard to make a homebrew that fits in the DS's RAM so that you could swap the slot-1 flashcart for the original game, and then swap back again, with the save being retained in RAM. I mean there's 4MB of RAM, so it should technically be possible.
that would probably depend on how the slot-1 card initializes itself...

is the sd card writable once the card is plugged in or is there boot-up sequence to follow, etc...

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe that Chism's Nitro Hax can do the swap thing for codes(Activate codes, remove slot-1 flashcart, insert game to use codes), so why can't some one do the same thing for saves?

On a side note, does anyone know of a build of Rein/Reinmoon that works with the Ewin2?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Microsoft is worth 3.2 Trillion according to Google lol