Can you build a PC as powerful as the XB1X for $500?

PCWorld have tried, and apparently the answer is a big NO.

XboxOneX.jpg

In an attempt to create a custom built computer with specifications matching exactly those of the newly revealed Xbox One X (which I personally decided to refer to as XB1X but feel to come up with your own acronym), PCWorld concludes that, apparently, for the first time in the history of gaming, a console may be more powerful than a custom built computer of the same price tag at the time of its release!

XB1X specs:
CPU: Custom AMD 8-core @ 2.3 GHz
GPU: Custom AMD chip @ 6.0 teraflops
RAM: 12 GB GDDR5
HDD: 1 TB
OPT: 4K Blu-ray drive

PCWorld's attempt #1
With 8GB DDR3 for a total cost of $652
upload_2017-6-17_10-1-34.png

PCWorld's attempt #2
With 8GB DDR4, for a total cost of $944
upload_2017-6-17_10-1-46.png

So... can you do better than PCWorld? Let us know what you think. PC master race!
Read more at PCWorld

UncleHeffy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait to see the PC Master race group's excuse for this is going to be. It's gonna be gold.

It's still worthless. I can upgrade my PC, I can't upgrade an Xbox.

Also, most if not all exclusive games for Xbox can be played on Windows 10. Not to mention every 3rd party game.

Sorry, Microsoft. You're just not needed in the console department.

Last edited by UncleHeffy,

Du'Islingr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pff Amatures! I got a better system for rougly 530$, (OEM license from a REDDIT place) I could have choosen another CPU, for 30$ more and got an 8 core instead of a 6 core. However the speed on the 6 core was a lot faster than the 8 core so it would have evened out.
Then again, these people aren't selling at a loose profit. So yeah, it's perfectly possible to build a system close to the specs of the Xbox One. Of course I don't know how much the parts will cost around the release of the Xbox One X.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XXQNwV

PCWorld is as trustful as Kotaku, so I wouldn't even try to listen to their advices ;)
Thing is it lacks 2 cores and the xbox has a lot more vram so a 580 8gb version is better. however i still can build similar specs for 570 roughly especially if i instead get an 8320E at my local microcenter which i can get for 80 bucks

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The XbonerX doesn't even run native 4k, it's all upscaled with checkerboarding and 30 fps like the PS4 Pro. An RX 580 probably leaves it in the dust, specially with that craptastic CPU that's unchanged. It'll be fun to see benchmarks when it's out. Mostly for Microsoft's lies.

When you're building a PC based on the specs of a console, you have to remember that the PC has to run a lot of basic tasks that are "unnecessary" to the console's system to get the same result. To that same point, to get the same performance as a console on a PC, the PC specs will have to be somewhat higher end. (In most cases). It's harder to see in today's consoles because they look like PCs...but go back and compare specs on say an old PSX vs. the computers at the time...or even the SuperNES vs. old 386/486/Pentium systems.
Like you said, this doesn't apply anymore. Back then consoles had full custom hardware, but now they're just stripped down, underpowered PCs - underclocked because of thermal and power issues. And they also have to run a ton of processes in the background like the operating system (They even run customized PC OSs now...) and all the store/streaming stuff. So a PC with the same configuration will beat a console by default simply because of better cooling so it doesn't need to be underclocked.

Last edited by Sizednochi,

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The launch PS3's cost something like 1200 dollars to produce and where sold at an insane loss.

I think this Xbox 1X is being sold at a loss too but I would place it at closer to like 700 bucks to make? (A literal wild guess on my part with so little info to go on.) With that price rapidly falling as TSMC starts cranking out those chips in mass.

I don't think anyone will ever try to make that expensive of a console ever again, unless they do not learn from history.

Development and engineering costs trickle down to console price and would have to be naive to think they spent less than a couple hundreds of millions developing this.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Development and engineering costs trickle down to console price and would have to be naive to think they spent less than a couple hundreds of millions developing this.

Billions just to do die shrinks but TSMC kinda spreads that out to all kinds of chips.... AMD doing the design work? Who knows how much it cost but hundreds of millions probably falls laughably short. Lucky for us a lot of work gets recycled from other products.

Reactions: SaffronXL

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Billions just to do die shrinks but TSMC kinda spreads that out to all kinds of chips.... AMD doing the design work? Who knows how much it cost but hundreds of millions probably falls laughably short. Lucky for us a lot of work gets recycled from other products.

Yeah I played safe there.

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless we were given the ability to play the new games designed for this revision of the XBOX One on a PC, or if we were able to run a desktop OS on the new console, they should NOT be compared to one another at all. Nor should you be encouraged to look at the on-paper numbers of this console and say, "Oh, baby - this is SO much more betterer than any PC I could build for the same price, and so much cheaper than any PC I could build with the same specs." They don't do the same things, so be intelligent and don't buy into this crap.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Unless we were given the ability to play the new games designed for this revision of the XBOX One on a PC, or if we were able to run a desktop OS on the new console, they should NOT be compared to one another at all. Nor should you be encouraged to look at the on-paper numbers of this console and say, "Oh, baby - this is SO much more betterer than any PC I could build for the same price, and so much cheaper than any PC I could build with the same specs." They don't do the same things, so be intelligent and don't buy into this crap.

F* THIS!!!!!

The whole PC VS console thing has always been silly for the reasons stated.

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think they're going to keep this generation going for a long time (despite what other people say) until Next gen hardware becomes cheaper in the near future because I think nobody is going to go for a console that cost more than 500+.There's no way that this could be 4k (with that price) without sacrificing something. I Speculated that it probably would be 500 bucks, but to good to be true came in mind. I wish Microsoft well but I know it's a lost on their end so enjoy 8th gen while you still can lol.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The XbonerX doesn't even run native 4k, it's all upscaled with checkerboarding and 30 fps like the PS4 Pro. An RX 580 probably leaves it in the dust, specially with that craptastic CPU that's unchanged. It'll be fun to see benchmarks when it's out. Mostly for Microsoft's lies.

Like you said, this doesn't apply anymore. Back then consoles had full custom hardware, but now they're just stripped down, underpowered PCs - underclocked because of thermal and power issues. And they also have to run a ton of processes in the background like the operating system (They even run customized PC OSs now...) and all the store/streaming stuff. So a PC with the same configuration will beat a console by default simply because of better cooling so it doesn't need to be underclocked.
...except both the PS4 and the Xbox are fully customised. By your standards the Wii is a Mac.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I say they should be compared.
They play the same games. It is normal to compare them to be able to tell which of them (a $500 PC or the XB1X) will have the best graphic rendering. May not matter to you, but it does to some people. You can't just dismiss everyone else's opinion and impose your own just 'because'.

Now personally like I have said twice before in this thread, I doubt a lot of people would be able to tell the difference between either. At this level of detail, frame rate, resolution, presented with screenshots or videos I wouldnt be able to tell you which version looks best. Just like PS4 vs XB1 comparison videos, I usually cant see any difference.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
They play the same games. It is normal to compare them to be able to tell which of them (a $500 PC or the XB1X) will have the best graphic rendering. May not matter to you, but it does to some people. You can't just dismiss everyone else's opinion and impose your own just 'because'.

Now personally like I have said twice before in this thread, I doubt a lot of people would be able to tell the difference between either. At this level of detail, frame rate, resolution, presented with screenshots or videos I wouldnt be able to tell you which version looks best. Just like PS4 vs XB1 comparison videos, I usually cant see any difference.
On the other side, the difference is night and day. Between shadow quality, lighting, tessellation.. Frame rate... Resolution. I can say that I definitely notice.

Last edited by Kioku,

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I do understand what you are saying about them playing the same games. They are functionally the same games in mechanics, storyline narrative, etc, but are developed for different user-environments. If they were exactly the same game, you could buy one copy of any game and put it into whatever piece of hardware, PC or console, and play it.

The PC game, as long as it's not a port from a console version, is made to be graphically customized because of the staggering array of hardware configurations (there are most likely millions of combinations of hardware configuration that could result in a $500 PC, like spending $300 on a GFX card and $200 on the rest of the PC). Console games are locked to the hardware limits the devs can push the console to, customization is not a factor, and some graphical features are lessened to a great extent or completely absent.

If someone's not able to tell the difference, there really shouldn't be a point to tell them to compare spec sheets seeing how they can't compare the end result.

The only opinion I am presenting is that it's wrong to make these comparisons of hardware that function differently on top of having different target audiences. Someone who buys an XB1X shouldn't have the mentality of "Wow I just bought a $500 gaming console that's worth an X dollar amount PC, what a smart purchase, imagine what I can do with this vs. that," - because that's not how it works. This seems like fanboy flame war fuel propagated by a M$ shill (not you, PCWorld) to me.

EDIT: Also, this is just a cheap way of basically lying about the quality of the performance. They're just listing parts builds, and are NOT able to run a desktop OS on the XB1X to compare performance, or able to run the XBOX One games on a PC to make this article anything more than a pile of BS.

Last edited by Lodad,

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pff Amatures! I got a better system for rougly 530$, (OEM license from a REDDIT place) I could have choosen another CPU, for 30$ more and got an 8 core instead of a 6 core. However the speed on the 6 core was a lot faster than the 8 core so it would have evened out.
Then again, these people aren't selling at a loose profit. So yeah, it's perfectly possible to build a system close to the specs of the Xbox One. Of course I don't know how much the parts will cost around the release of the Xbox One X.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XXQNwV

PCWorld is as trustful as Kotaku, so I wouldn't even try to listen to their advices ;)
Sorry but you're still not going to get the same performance on Windows 10 as you would on a version of Windows made specifically, and only, for gaming. How do you think the PS4 and XBone look so nice yet aren't very powerful? Your build is similar, but XBOneX will play games more efficiently and just overall better. What kills your build is the 4GB of VRAM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Carotenemia causes skin to appear orange-ish in color. Orange Pi. Carotenemia Pussy. Get it. lolol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O i3? o........................................k
    Both of mine are i5's lol
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb