Can you build a PC as powerful as the XB1X for $500?

PCWorld have tried, and apparently the answer is a big NO.

XboxOneX.jpg

In an attempt to create a custom built computer with specifications matching exactly those of the newly revealed Xbox One X (which I personally decided to refer to as XB1X but feel to come up with your own acronym), PCWorld concludes that, apparently, for the first time in the history of gaming, a console may be more powerful than a custom built computer of the same price tag at the time of its release!

XB1X specs:
CPU: Custom AMD 8-core @ 2.3 GHz
GPU: Custom AMD chip @ 6.0 teraflops
RAM: 12 GB GDDR5
HDD: 1 TB
OPT: 4K Blu-ray drive

PCWorld's attempt #1
With 8GB DDR3 for a total cost of $652
upload_2017-6-17_10-1-34.png

PCWorld's attempt #2
With 8GB DDR4, for a total cost of $944
upload_2017-6-17_10-1-46.png

So... can you do better than PCWorld? Let us know what you think. PC master race!
Read more at PCWorld

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PCWorld have tried, and apparently the answer is a big NO.

View attachment 90400

In an attempt to create a custom built computer with specifications matching exactly those of the newly revealed Xbox One X (which I personally decided to refer to as XB1X but feel to come up with your own acronym), PCWorld concludes that, apparently, for the first time in the history of gaming, a console may be more powerful than a custom built computer of the same price tag at the time of its release!

XB1X specs:
CPU: Custom AMD 8-core @ 2.3 GHz
GPU: Custom AMD chip @ 6.0 teraflops
RAM: 12 GB GDDR5
HDD: 1 TB
OPT: 4K Blu-ray drive

PCWorld's attempt #1
With 8GB DDR3 for a total cost of $652
View attachment 90401

PCWorld's attempt #2
With 8GB DDR4, for a total cost of $944
View attachment 90402

So... can you do better than PCWorld? Let us know what you think. PC master race!
Read more at PCWorld
XB1X or... XBOX... oh wait

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Actually , Yes.
Alrighty.

The PS4 Pro and Xbox X are like another Slim model but a bit more powerful than originally. I don't see the problem with it as long as it doesn't affect the original owners and in the process, allows the more powerful machines to enhance the performance of games if possible.

For me PS4 Pro is the definitive PS4 to get but the normal one (Slim, or even the original) aren't bad either.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Who the hell spends $130 on a blu ray drive? What the fuck are you gonna do with a blu-ray drive in this day and age?!
Why are you buying Windows? What kind of morons wrote this up?
Well, you can watch Blu-ray movies/shows and look into what content PS4/XO discs carry? That's my guess. Blu-ray isn't too useful outside of home media and consoles.

Reactions: DrkBeam

gbatempfan1

Trophies
XP
Country
All Xbox Ones run a Win10 kernel in the background, they have been for a while.

While it runs windows kernel, it is a special build that has stripped it of certain system calls and background running services, drivers, etc. For example on a PC if you look at the services tab in task manager, and the process tab, you'll see dozens of items that won't be running on an xbox one.

---

If anybody here is really interested in details, etc, here is the Microsoft presentation, this is back when it ran Windows 8, but essentially the same system is used for Windows 10.
"This session goes into the architecture of Xbox One, explains the different operating system(s) and their relation to Windows 8 (hint: it’s running Windows 8!), and outlines strategies for developers who want to take advantage of hardcore to-the-metal features of DirectX, whether running on Xbox One or Windows."

---

Here is an article summarizing the presentation if you don't want to watch it or view the slides:
“windows 8 that has gone on a massive massive diet…… lean and mean windows 8”. "All the Direct X draw calls go straight from the Exclusive OS down to the Host OS. It does not go through the full windows 8 ‘ shared partition’."

----

If PCworld ran that special build of windows on their first attempt, if that gpu and processor are about equivalent to what they are using by Microsoft, then they would of gotten a lot similar performance. Of course there are tweaks that can be done on the hardware when you want to drop legacy PC support, like using a newer standard for the north/south bridge equivalents like what the PS4 does, which can make things differ even further. I haven't looked deep on how Xbox One (or this new xbox does things if that was released), but here is an overview of how the xbox one does the bridges/uncore.

Last edited by gbatempfan1,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
While it runs windows kernel, it is a special build that has stripped it of certain system calls and background running services, drivers, etc. For example on a PC if you look at the services tab in task manager, and the process tab, you'll see dozens of items that won't be running on an xbox one.

---

If anybody here is really interested in details, etc, here is the Microsoft presentation, this is back when it ran Windows 8, but essentially the same system is used for Windows 10.
"This session goes into the architecture of Xbox One, explains the different operating system(s) and their relation to Windows 8 (hint: it’s running Windows 8!), and outlines strategies for developers who want to take advantage of hardcore to-the-metal features of DirectX, whether running on Xbox One or Windows."

---

Here is an article summarizing the presentation if you don't want to watch it or view the slides:
“windows 8 that has gone on a massive massive diet…… lean and mean windows 8”. "All the Direct X draw calls go straight from the Exclusive OS down to the Host OS. It does not go through the full windows 8 ‘ shared partition’."

----

If PCworld ran that special build of windows on their first attempt, if that gpu and processor are about equivalent to what they are using by Microsoft, then they would of gotten a lot similar performance. Of course there are tweaks that can be done on the hardware when you want to drop legacy PC support, like using a newer standard for the north/south bridge equivalents like what the PS4 does, which can make things differ even further. I haven't looked deep on how Xbox One (or this new xbox does things if that was released), but here is an overview of how the xbox one does the bridges/uncore.
Everyone knows this. The question was why the build includes a Windows license, and the answer is that playing Windows games requires a Windows kernel, so you need Windows installed. The amount of services running or the features available is irrelevant to the question. As for results, they would be significantly different even on identical kernels as the Xbox One X includes hardware-based DX unavailable on PC, uses shared GDDR5 memory unavailable on PC as system memory and implements features of VEGA GPU's which are currently only present on the latest Macbooks as far as I know. The hardware is heavily customised, this was touched upon earlier.

Reactions: 3DSPoet

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That kind of sums it up, really. Consoles may be built on standard PC parts these days, but the hardware is highly specialized for specific purposes, everything is configured and optimized to the tasks specific to the console.

When you're building a PC based on the specs of a console, you have to remember that the PC has to run a lot of basic tasks that are "unnecessary" to the console's system to get the same result. To that same point, to get the same performance as a console on a PC, the PC specs will have to be somewhat higher end. (In most cases). It's harder to see in today's consoles because they look like PCs...but go back and compare specs on say an old PSX vs. the computers at the time...or even the SuperNES vs. old 386/486/Pentium systems.

OliverWinstontin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Well I don't think you need a super amazing CPU to out perform the Jaguar cores from AMD. I would be surprised if even an Intel Pentium G4560 from Intel at $65 would out perform it. One it was based off bulldozer so the 8 cores share resources and Jaguar was a low power version of bulldozer so even at 8 cores wasn't an impressive chip.

Second I think that the GPU is probably based off an RX480 not a RX580. While very similar the RX580 is supposedly closer to 6.5Tflops compared to the 6 of the RX480. I have seen RX480's go for $199 or lower on multiple occasions doing a quick search on slickdeals. I saw one as low as $150 and some of these also came with a game like Doom etc.

Not sure you should include an OS when Microsoft is able to gift themselves the OS for free as they use Windows 10 on Xbox One. Though you would need an OS to run your computer.

Technically you only need 4GB's of system Ram in a PC to match it as the Xbox one uses 9GB's of memory for gaming and 3GB's for the OS.

Shipping cost seems kind of ridiculous because if you order an XBox One X on anything but amazon you would be paying shipping costs for it as well but you could also buy your PC parts on amazon to get free prime shipping.

I will admit though the Xbox One X is a pretty good value at $500. It also I believe comes with a controller something not listed in the spec builds for the PC. Though I think 500 watts for most of those build is pretty high. Could of probably used a 350W or 400W for a build like this pretty easily I would imagine. Most PC gamers and builders also usually have spare hard drives, Computer Cases, Power Supplies, Ram etc. I have a closet full of spare parts and at least 3 spare computers from previous builds right now. And I imagine most everyone that builds their own computers are in the same spot. I know all of my PC building friends are.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
more that the first blu-ray players cost $1000 back in 2006

The launch PS3's cost something like 1200 dollars to produce and where sold at an insane loss.

I think this Xbox 1X is being sold at a loss too but I would place it at closer to like 700 bucks to make? (A literal wild guess on my part with so little info to go on.) With that price rapidly falling as TSMC starts cranking out those chips in mass.

I don't think anyone will ever try to make that expensive of a console ever again, unless they do not learn from history.

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PCs have 16GB total ram so not quite a 1:1 comparison, and I'm sure AMD has created a nicely discounted custom chip solution, so I'm sure MS is getting a much better price and not taking a loss. The specs are impressive, but without software optimized to take advantage of it, probably isn't very useful.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Who the hell spends $130 on a blu ray drive? What the fuck are you gonna do with a blu-ray drive in this day and age?!
Why are you buying Windows? What kind of morons wrote this up?

The reason I would consider switching from PS to XB is because of the 4k UHD bluray player. So I would need a UHD bluray drive, windows 10 and a UHD bluray player software.

The PCs have 16GB total ram so not quite a 1:1 comparison, and I'm sure AMD has created a nicely discounted custom chip solution, so I'm sure MS is getting a much better price and not taking a loss.

Even if they sell it at the cost of parts then they are still making a loss if it doesn't cover all their overheads. Also the $500 you buy the console for doesn't all go to microsoft anyway.
The article is only comparing the retail price of a console to the retail prices of all the parts, which doesn't help you figure out whether they are selling at a loss. You also don't know whether the parts you are buying for a self build (graphics card, cpu etc) has been sold at a loss somewhere along the line.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: Qtis

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure you should include an OS when Microsoft is able to gift themselves the OS for free as they use Windows 10 on Xbox One.

You can argue that they are gifting it to you, but they had to pay to develop it. They can't refuse to pay for the buildings, staff etc to keep costs down. Calculating the per console cost to microsoft would be hard, but this article isn't about microsoft cost. It's about comparing retail xbox one x price, to building something equivalent. So you need to include an OS or it isn't equivalent.

Last edited by smf,

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If this was possible to convert to a Win 10 machine with ok capabilities, it would sell like hot cakes. I don't really need an Xbox One S/X, but I would most likely buy one if it was capable of normal computing in the rare event I would need it. Hell, it could even be just to replace the noisy PS3 phat as my Netflix player in our bedroom TV :)

Last edited by Qtis,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk