Can I use a different region game from eShop with Haxchi Coldboot?

AaronZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's been a loooooooooong time since I modded my Wii U, I also just found out about Aroma, should I update to this or stick with Haxchi Coldboot as is?

To the topic at hand, I used Super Mario 64 DS as a title to install Haxchi, being from the UK this is of course the PAL rom, therefor am I safe to install the USA rom to play the game (since it has a different game ID and whatnot?) according to the DOs and DONTs I'm NOT to install the same game again else it bricks (so if I install SM64DS PAL and launch it, it bricks).

Thanks.

AaronZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I did buy the game, Coldboot Haxchi has been on there for years like I said, but now I want to play the game hence using another region copy, can I do it?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did buy the game, Coldboot Haxchi has been on there for years, but now I want to play the game hence using another region copy.
How do you plan to get the other region's game? plus, I think the wiiu is region locked, so it will brick.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CBHC is fine to install other regions. I am in UK and have plenty of usa titles. I'm still on cbhc.

Although if it's that game you really wanna play, get the wii u port ;)
Edit... Just re read its DS version which is better lol but still, you'll be good if you decide to stick.

Last edited by Lostbhoy,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1) Uninstalling CBHC and installing Tiramisu and/or Aroma will give you the DS game back so you can play it.
2) Wii U is indeed region locked. Trying to remove region lock on legacy CFWs like CBHC has a high brick risk. Aroma has a region free plugin through.
3) You won't brick when trying to launch the DS game, you will brick as soon as you reboot. Seeing you don't know any of these things I would highly advise to switch away from CBHC.

Reactions: godreborn

AaronZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay I installed the USA version on USB just to be absolutely sure it didn't touch my PAL version running CBHC/Haxchi.

Yeah I dunno if I want to switch to Aroba if there's no benefit and risk messing it up.
Post automatically merged:

1) Uninstalling CBHC and installing Tiramisu and/or Aroma will give you the DS game back so you can play it.
2) Wii U is indeed region locked. Trying to remove region lock on legacy CFWs like CBHC has a high brick risk. Aroma has a region free plugin through.
3) You won't brick when trying to launch the DS game, you will brick as soon as you reboot. Seeing you don't know any of these things I would highly advise to switch away from CBHC.

I mean, I knew what I was doing at the time, this was like 6 years ago when I initially did it, was just making sure, I can't even see the game on my menu to launch it unless I moved it to the very far right of the icons out of sight.

It's not really a big deal because SM64DS is available in all regions anyway, if it was like a PAL exclusive game then sure.

Last edited by AaronZ,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I installed the USA version on USB just to be absolutely sure it didn't touch my PAL version running CBHC/Haxchi.

Yeah I dunno if I want to switch to Aroba if there's no benefit and risk messing it up.
Post automatically merged:

I mean, I knew what I was doing at the time, this was like 6 years ago when I initially did it, was just making sure, I can't even see the game on my menu to launch it unless I moved it to the very far right of the icons out of sight.

It's not really a big deal because SM64DS is available in all regions anyway, if it was like a PAL exclusive game then sure.
Problem is that cfw won't be launched until the game boots. The region lock will prevent the game from booting, so you'll be bricked.

AaronZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Problem is that cfw won't be launched until the game boots. The region lock will prevent the game from booting, so you'll be bricked.
I think you're misunderstanding my question/situation:

CBCH is installed on SM64DS PAL (which I bought from the eShop back in 2017 or whatever)
I just installed SM64DS USA through WUP Installer GX2 to my USB drive
I do NOT want to install CBCH to SM64DS USA, I want to play this like a regular game
I do NOT want to play SM64DS PAL

It's all working now anyway, the game boots fine, I rebooted the console to make sure, no brick.

As a sidenote I was just curious about Aroma but it seems to be the same kinda thing so I wont bother with it if its the same thing more or less.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you're misunderstanding my question/situation:

CBCH is installed on SM64DS PAL (which I bought from the eShop back in 2017 or whatever)
I just installed SM64DS USA through WUP Installer GX2 to my USB drive
I do NOT want to install CBCH to SM64DS USA, I want to play this like a regular game
I do NOT want to play SM64DS PAL

It's all working now anyway, the game boots fine, I rebooted the console to make sure, no brick.

As a sidenote I was just curious about Aroma but it seems to be the same kinda thing so I wont bother with it if its the same thing more or less.
Ah, I see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work