Gaming Can I change the processor of my laptop?

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got an ACER ASPIRE 5536G.
It has 4 GB RAM, 512 mb ATI video RAM, but it has a really bad processor.
It's an AMD Athlon 64 x2 QL-65 with only 2.1 Ghz per core.(Note: this is a gaming laptop from last year.)
I want to change it to any faster Intel CPU.
The reason why I want to change it is that I can't play most new games like STAR WARS the force unleashed 2(major lag), Need for speed shift 2 unleashed (major lag) and I want to be able to play sonic generations when it comes out.

Thanks in advance.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I can't say for sure but I believe you can't do that.
Your laptop probably has a specific motherboard that wont allow for an upgrade like this.
Even then I dont know where you could get such a thing done.

Unsurprisingly out of the 7 computers I have at home (im only using 2 or 3 of them, the others are old I mean) the only one that's ever given me trouble is the one that has an AMD CPU. It kept overheating very quickly and never let me do anything that needed resources. I hate AMD CPUs now and I'm an Intel whore :P

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
I can say you for sure that its impossible to replace an AMD processor with an Intel one in your laptop . Also what is your graphic card model . Seems to me that it might be causing more slowdown than the processor .

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The socket of the CPU is S1G2 (Puma platform) which Athlon X2 shares with Mobile Sempron and Turion X2. It typically gets paired with Mobility Radeon HD 3000. For this laptop, I would expect it to be a HD 3200.

As for the possibility of upgrading the CPU, it is possible. However, you will have to know which CPUs your BIOS supports. Typically, upgrading is only possible within the same family of CPU. In this case, Athlon X2 (codename Lion). The best you can upgrade it to would be a QL-67, which is 2200Mhz. The speed increase is basically 100Mhz. I'll say now, that it isn't worth it.

For upgrading from AMD to Intel on the other hand is not feasible. AMD and Intel CPUs/motherboards are not cross-compatible (different sockets). If you want an Intel CPU, you also need an Intel chipset motherboard, which basically means you'd have an entirely new laptop.

meornot0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not worth it, along with not being feasible.

And any computer with an athlon 64 will probably have a shit video card.

just get an amd a8 apu laptop.

Or try the new fx series.

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My video card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 with 512 mb RAM.
I don't think it's a shitty videocard.
Tell me if that's the problem.

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Well its not really horrible but it can't run most 2 years old or less games except in low settings . Check here to see its power . Just scroll down to the games part & see how good it is in running some games .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye tempBOT: @ The Real Jdbye farts behind the fan +1