Hacking Can HD resolutions be uncapped on Wii?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bladexdsl said:
the colours are sharper and crisper just like you'd get with hdmi it's way better than a component cable so it's worth it to me
tongue.gif

It can't be better than component, unless there was a problem with your cable, your tv.
It may just have better post processing/upscaling than your tv, but unless someone has the same tv as you then it's alot of money to invest.

There may be a way of generating different resolutions on the wii, because the structure for setting up the video chip is quite large.
We might already have the maximum though & even if we didn't then the games are likely hard coded.
The PS2 had a similar feature and when you run a game in 1080i then it just looks like a postage stamp in the middle of the screen.

The emulators can do it because they can scale the coordinates to fit in with the resolution, but that is like changing the hardware of the wii.

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
read his post it says he upconverted the component to hdmi plug to 1080p so if you have a way to upconvert from component you don't need the converter

cocomonk22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2: "Graphics Synthesizer", 147 MHz clock speed, 1280x1024 max resolution
Xbox: nVidia "NV2A", 233 MHz clock speed, 1920x1080 max resolution
Wii: ATI "Hollywood", 243 MHz clock speed, 854x480 max resolution

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When the Wii was released I heard a rumor that it was going to ship with a HD connector, but when they trialled it, it caused the machine to overheat and crash, so they capped it.

I completely agree that the Wii is not capable, I'm just sharing my inside industry chinese whispers... from 2 years+ ago.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Painguy said:
I was wondering if it is possible to unlock that video res cap nintendo put on the wii? We've had games displayed in HD resolutions since the 1990's so its obvious the wii is capable of it. I know it wont be practical with all the slow downs. For example mario Galaxy runs at 60fps right? well if we amped up the res to 1280x720p we would obviously have an FPS drop, but probably around 10-15fps or so. The one problem with this is that the game probably doesnt have frame skipping so it would playback VERY slowly . Could frame skipping be added so it would play smoothly? 45 fps is still very good as long as its not below 30. 1 Street Fighter IV fro the PC also doesnt hav frame skipping. When i tried recording with fraps it slowed down, but did not frameskip. plz dont flame lol just an idea.

No, but if you have a good enough computer you can use the Wii emulator and run it at 1280x720.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
KiiWii said:
When the Wii was released I heard a rumor that it was going to ship with a HD connector, but when they trialled it, it caused the machine to overheat and crash, so they capped it.
m$ should have done that too
laugh.gif

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
who gives a rats ass graphics ARE NOT everything! the wii is fine the way it is if it was like the others it would have been chocked to death with shooters JUST LIKE the others
tongue.gif

CrimsoniteX

Trophies
Website
crims0n.us
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
Bladexdsl said:
who gives a rats ass graphics ARE NOT everything! the wii is fine the way it is if it was like the others it would have been chocked to death with shooters JUST LIKE the others
tongue.gif

I agree completely. Thats what makes the ps3 and 360 so lame is most FPS games for those consoles. I dont find fun with that

Alright, to both of you.

(a) There are a HELL of a lot more games than "just shooters (aka FPS)" for the 360 and PS3.
(b) That was the most ignorant statement I heard all day. Do I need to even start stacking up the great games these systems have against the few great games the Wii has?

*I'm not a Wii hater (I love mine), I just understand it's place.

TroyTheZombie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
agreed. very ignorant statement.

I love my wii, I do enjoy hacking the beejezus out of it and playing it.

But to say that the 360 and ps3 have mostly shooters and their libraries are not as robust as the wii's is a very ignorant statement

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
DeadlyFoez said:
TroyTheZombie said:
But to say that the 360 and ps3 have mostly shooters and their libraries are not as robust as the wii's is a very ignorant statement

what a way to go and say something that was not said. No one ever said that the wii's library was more "robust". But yes it is true, the majority of games for the ps3 and the 360 are shooter games.
and the rest are either sports or lame racing games. YAWN

CrimsoniteX

Trophies
Website
crims0n.us
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
DeadlyFoez said:
TroyTheZombie said:

what a way to go and say something that was not said. No one ever said that the wii's library was more "robust". But yes it is true, the majority of games for the ps3 and the 360 are shooter games.

*facepalm fanboys...
You guys obviously DO NOT own a PS3 or Xbox 360...

http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?platfor...&type=games

Granted, those are not perfect examples, but your ignorance really is cramping my willingness to help you realize the truth.

mrfraser89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
smf said:
Bladexdsl said:
the colours are sharper and crisper just like you'd get with hdmi it's way better than a component cable so it's worth it to me
tongue.gif

It can't be better than component, unless there was a problem with your cable, your tv.
It may just have better post processing/upscaling than your tv, but unless someone has the same tv as you then it's alot of money to invest.

There may be a way of generating different resolutions on the wii, because the structure for setting up the video chip is quite large.
We might already have the maximum though & even if we didn't then the games are likely hard coded.
The PS2 had a similar feature and when you run a game in 1080i then it just looks like a postage stamp in the middle of the screen.

The emulators can do it because they can scale the coordinates to fit in with the resolution, but that is like changing the hardware of the wii.

I'm with smf. Just because you are running a HDMI cable doesn't mean you get better colour, sharpness or quality.

The fact is, you bought a component to HDMI converter. What that means is, the best quality you'll get, is component quality.

Anything you're seeing is either different colour settings on the tv (most tvs have different colour, temp, sharpness etc on different inputs, which means you could do the same in the component setting) or you're just imagining it because you bought the thing.

Going from one cable to another is limited by the 'worst' cable in the line.

End of story.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bladexdsl said:
smf said:
WELL IT IS i could even make a video showing you the diff between the 2 but i can't be bothered unplugging everything.

The reason it may look better to you, is that your TV may have a shitty built in up converter. My 1080P Sony LCD up converts everything to 1080P, because that is the only resolution it can display in. The TV may say that it's displaying a 480P image, but since the resolution of the screen is 1920 x1080 no matter what, that's what it's displayed in. Those converter boxes are only good for people that have a very bad up converter in their tv, or even worse no up converter at all. No magic box can take a Wii's 480P component output an make it any better than it already is. All a converter box can do is minimize the damage your built in up converter does, or allow you to use the Wii on a display (computer monitor perhaps) that does not accept component or 480P/I.

As far as 'haxoring' the Wii to display any higher res as it already does, it can't be done. However I think a lot of people are mistaken on what makes a game look better. Resolution is probably the largest part for sure, but there are many other factors. Such as ...

How many polygons the models and scenery are made of, and the number of those in a scene.
Texture resolution. How detailed are the textures that are wrapped around those models and scenery.

Take a look at this video of SMG in 720P on the Dolphin PC emulator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojrq5DgEZuQ

Same amount of polys, same texture resoution, and it looks a lot better. So basically any game will look better displayed in a higher resolution. There is a limit though. Let's take Final Fantasy VII as an example. You can run it on your PS3 up scaled to 1080P, but the character models will always have club feet and arms, the backgrounds will always be blurry, etc.

Yes I agree, graphics are not everything. If that was true I wouldn't have a Wii. I have a hacked 360 and 2 PS3s and my Wii still gets plenty of playtime. Bottom line though, imo anyway, is that Nintendo seriously dropped the ball by not including at least 720P output. Don't get me wrong I love my Wii, but it seriously makes my eyes bleed sometimes. Does it look nice on a smaller CRT or LCD, yeah not bad. However blow that image up to 52 inches and it's horrible to look at.

Sabin_Figaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
i don't care for hd resolutions on wii, I care for low resolutions for VC gaming. It's the best thing that happened to retro gaming... Wii is a dream for retro games

NeonTogepi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
DeadlyFoez said:
TroyTheZombie said:

You're an idiot. The Wii is more drowned by crappy minigames than the 360 and PS3 are drowned by shooters. Wii is meant to be like monopoly. Only a casual game for when friends are over. Which is why it's bad; because monopoly is only $20 and the Wii is $200. Also, who says shooting games are bad? The majority of retro console games are platformers. Does that make them bad? No, they're hella fun. In fact, the Wii is worse than the PS3 and 360 because it has: The worst online; few online titles (no, Nintendo high-ups, online isn't a fad, stop telling yourself it is); the worst graphics; the worst games. Though every single console this gen was much, much worse than last gen (except maybe 360.)

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
CrimsoniteX said:
Bladexdsl said:
DeadlyFoez said:
TroyTheZombie said:

*facepalm fanboys...
You guys obviously DO NOT own a PS3 or Xbox 360...

Granted, those are not perfect examples, but your ignorance really is cramping my willingness to help you realize the truth.
whatever helps you sleep at night pal
hahagwhoreca4.jpg

to the rest of you haven't got a fucking clue what your talking about. the converter works so STFU
fucking sony boyz
rolleyes.gif
t.i

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: Pleasure to meet you +1