Hardware Building a new PC

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been putting together parts for a new PC for awhile now and since I don't have the money for an i7 I decided to get what I could to get my computer going.

My PC Specs are as follows:

Motherboard: MSI P67-G43
CPU: Intel Celeron G530 LGA1155
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1133Mhz
Graphics: MSI GTX 550 Ti 1GB
HDD: Western Digital 2TB Sata HDD
PSU: Cooler Master 600W

Not entirely sure what could be wrong. The computer boots up and the fans spin and all light come on, but I don't get any sort of display on my monitor. All other peripherals do not work either.

If anyone can give me some insight as to what could possibly be wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Is everything connected right?
Because if you get no graphics it could be you graphics card which isn't connected right with either your motherboard or your screen.
So your mouse, printer, etc don't work either? Are they all USB, because maybe there's a problem there too.

Alato

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Usually when I have that issue, it's just because I forgot to plug in a power cable to the video card. If that doesn't work, try taking out the video card and plugging your monitor in straight to your motherboard, so you can see if it's the video card that's the problem

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The IGP might have been, by default, enabled by the motherboard. Use one of the display ports that the motherboard supplies. Go into the BIOS, and then disable integrated graphics. You should now be able to use your GPU.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The power is connected to to the graphics card and it is in properly inserted because the fan spins on it just fine. Anything that is USB such as a keyboard doesn't power up.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately the motherboard nor did the case come with a speaker. I'll go and buy one soon to better diagnose the problem. The motherboard does not have a debug LED.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah do that. When booting up, before the BIOS, computers do a power on self test, or POST. The post is then followed by beeps, the number of beeps tell you if anything is wrong. One beep means you're good to go, and more beeps mean there's a problem. Keep your motherboard's manual because it should have all of the beep codes in the back.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking that it might be the ram. I chose a low level CPU with my previously picked ram for an i7. The frequency might be too high to work with that CPU. Does this seem plausible?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The fact that there's no power to USB devices means the south bridge isn't getting power. This points to the motherboard or the PSU. Check that the 8-pin CPU power cable is plugged in properly with the CPU (or 12V ATX) cable and not the PCIe cable.

EDIT: DDR3 RAM frequency under 2000Mhz never causes compatibility issues. Anyway, 1333Mhz is all Sandy Bridge can actually use.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. Well I've determined it's not the graphics card. I borrowed one out of my friends PC, no change. I checked all the the connections and everything is setup properly. I can't say for sure what it is exactly yet. I won't know till I get that speaker.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also after I hold the power button to shut it down, a few seconds later it turns back on without me pressing the power button.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    White fries hold up
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 sure you can
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why tf do people hate android users? is it the video quality? just because "AnDrOiD = pOoR" bc they don't cost an arm and a leg like iphones do?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i won't be turned off by an iphone, but don't pick on me for having an android, that's just how this shit should work
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Should say more what these kind of android users say bout nokia 3310 users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've owned both iPhone and Androids over the years. Both are just as good, other than Apples higher price. I'm currently on Android, Samsung S21 I think, and very happy with it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got my 60 minute steps in whew
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I get mine in everyday, going back n forth to the fridge for a beer.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6,000 steps in so far legs almost broke getting off
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your mind gets in a werid pattern of just finishing then when you're done you're like I need a soda
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Your mind gets in a werid pattern of just finishing then when you're done you're like I need a soda