Hardware Building a new PC to replace my parent's cable box, any advice?

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have that much to burn I would buy a I7 8700K or wait for ryzen2 to arrive which is soon...

Also keep in mind GPU prices are still high, they will come down eventually, but you can use your current GPU and when the prices come down you buy a new one...

If your current PC case is cool you can also use it and I also recommend a 80+gold power supply

Oh and forgot to say, invest in a good cooler and later when the PC is not enough to play at high settings you can OC a lot, make sure to buy a unlocked CPU and a motherboard chipset that support OC. My old I7 2600K is at 4.9ghz on air for years.

Last edited by guily6669,

Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i like consoles, physical games, selling used games, games on clearance, they're way cheaper.
but if you like computers that's what you get.

don't get a fire stick it stutters on some files and with things moving toward 10bit and hevc it's only going to get worse get the full size $100 fire tv it will play any file you throw at it it, you don't want to have to fiddle with transcoding every show your dad wants to watch while you're trying to game.
nvidia shield tv or something similar is good too, don't get a roku no kodi or unofficial channels and don't get anything offbrand kodi box if you ever want to use anything official they dont support netflix or hulu.
networked drive is important you just move the files to it and forget about them no worrying about it eating up your bandwidth while you're trying to game or your dad getting frustrated while the computer is restarting for updates or the electric bill of having the pc running 24/7.

the computer is ultimately up to you but it's better in the long run to get a new midrange every few years than to go high end and be stuck with it forever.
you said you had $1800 to spend if you spend half of that now on a new pc now and save your parents money they might be easier to talk into buying you another new computer when you feel like it's getting outdated.
otherwise 5 years down the road he might be like are you crazy i spent $1800 you better appreciate that thing til it turns to dust.
a high end computer now is not going to be as good as a midrange in 5 years just something to think about.

Great advice, thanks. I'll have them get the Fire TV as you say. I won't need to resort to anything official, thankfully. And normally, I would agree about your point on going easy so he'll buy another computer in another 5 years, but I probably won't be around my parents for that much longer. Still an important consideration and a good thought overall, it just might not apply to my specific situation. But yes, the rest of this info is invaluable, thanks Jefffisher!

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great advice, thanks. I'll have them get the Fire TV as you say. I won't need to resort to anything official, thankfully. And normally, I would agree about your point on going easy so he'll buy another computer in another 5 years, but I probably won't be around my parents for that much longer. Still an important consideration and a good thought overall, it just might not apply to my specific situation. But yes, the rest of this info is invaluable, thanks Jefffisher!
Gonna be straight with you, I've been running a PC with an i5 4690k in it for over 5 years and all I've had to do is upgrade the GPU once. Since most games these days are GPU heavy and emulation doesn't require particularly powerful CPUs by today's standards, you really should just be able to skate by on GPU upgrades for the foreseeable future

Reactions: CuriousTommy

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends what you play or try to emulate... I tried Zelda on my I7 2600K at 4.9ghz and had too much stuttering thought the latest update improved performance a lot but I didn't even tried it since I have a Switch now with Zelda :)

Also I Have a RX480 flashed to 580 and some CPU heavy games just don't run well like my favourite most realistic FPS ever made "SQUAD", specially old AMD CPUs will just crap down a lot on this game like from low players at 60+FPS to 70+ players going to less than 20FPS easily when there's too much action.

Hell even a lot of ppl with 7700K reported minor CPU stuttering on this game, though it's still in Alpha, but this game really simulates real life in a way I never seen before, ARMA gameplay even looks like a joke compared to Squad gameplay, though ARMA have more physics simulated, I never liked it's gameplay.

Best PC for low money will probably be waiting for the new Ryzen 2 coming soon and investing in a good cooler to OC them.

You can use your current PC case if it's good and if the power supply is enough you can also use it and you also already have an SSD which is a must have at least for the windows OS for lag free computing.

You can also use your current Nvidia until GPU prices come back to normal.

So at the end you would probably only waste around 400$ for a good Ryzen 2 (something in the range of the current Ryzen 5 1600) APU, motherboard and Ram, then you only need a GPU later when prices drop and at near the end of this year maybe Nvidia can have a 300$ Volta GPU out there or you could buy a GTX 1070ti when prices drop off course...

You don't need a 1800$ PC 4 nothing... Unless you parents have a lot of money and wouldn't make any difference wasting that much or you want to play in demanding 4K resolution... If you are happy playing ultra-high at 1080p you don't even need to be close to 1800$

Last edited by guily6669,

Wolvenreign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My folks are finally getting around to ordering this stuff, but let's get something narrowed down once and for all so that I can absolutely stick the landing...

Should I get Amazon Fire TV or that Android stick from earlier? Keep in mind that my folks still need to watch Fox News (which I think is the only live show they want to be able to continue to watch), and using unofficial means isn't a problem.

What's the verdict, ya'll?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My folks are finally getting around to ordering this stuff, but let's get something narrowed down once and for all so that I can absolutely stick the landing...

Should I get Amazon Fire TV or that Android stick from earlier? Keep in mind that my folks still need to watch Fox News (which I think is the only live show they want to be able to continue to watch), and using unofficial means isn't a problem.

What's the verdict, ya'll?
Given that I have NEVER heard of that RKM stick and that the Fire TV 4k is cheaper? The Fire TV

Also, look into either Project Free TV or a Hauppauge TV Tuner for news channels

Reactions: Subtle Demise

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Could you come up with one that would let me play Just Cause 3 and Doom 4 at a decent frame rate? My current build can't play them.

Here are my current specs...

CPU
AMD FX-6300 34 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) (MS-7641) (CPU1) 43 °C
Graphics
IPS231 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (Gigabyte) 31 °C
Storage
223GB TOSHIBA-TR150 ATA Device (SSD) 29 °C
Optical Drives
DiscSoft Virtual SCSI CdRom Device
DiscSoft Virtual SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
You might be able to get away with a GPU upgrade and maybe a better PSU if needed. I'm still rocking my i7 920 (not even overclocked anymore since that stopped working for some reason and the BIOS kept saying "overclocking failed") and it runs anything I throw at it, although not necessarily on max settings due to me only having a GTX 970.
By the way, and I imagine this is possible, but asking just in case...I should be able to run Kodi on this PC while also playing a game, correct? With the mouse and the keyboard/controller controlling the game and Kore on my Mom's tablet controlling Kodi. There shouldn't be any problems with conflicting input or anything, right?
You might have to run two separate OS installs, for example running Kodi inside a VM while you play games on the main install, or setting up something like Proxmox or unRAID and having one VM for games and one for Kodi. In the latter case you have to forward the GPU to the gaming VM to get good performance, but then the Kodi VM won't have a GPU assigned to it (unless you can forward the iGPU?) and that would be a problem.

Games usually won't accept input while in the background, due to how input works in Windows. Some might, but it will be hit and miss. Controller input with an XInput controller or using XOutput with a non-XInput controller usually seems to work in the background, but keyboard and mouse do not.
Kodi can probably be configured to accept input in the background, depending on what you're using to control it. Obviously having it controlled with keyboard or mouse or a remote that sends keyboard/mouse commands will interfere with the game. Especially mouse, since both mice will be controlling the same cursor.

But trying to run both on the same OS install at the same time is never going to work well.
A much better solution would be to set up some sort of media server (DLNA, SMB server, or even some proprietary server with the correct Kodi plugin) on the PC and use it for downloading movies etc., and use a cheap Raspberry Pi with Kodi (OSMC is good for that) for actually playing the content. Also, you can set up a plugin such as Quasar Burst to stream movies and shows directly on the Raspberry Pi so you/they don't have to rely on downloading everything beforehand, and some plugins for free web TV. The PC is kind of redundant in this case, since you could do all the downloading on the Pi itself with an external HDD or a large MicroSD card, but doing it on the PC is sort of easier once it's all set up.

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping to replace their cable box entirely. They mostly watch old shows that I'm sure I can find and play off the hard drive, as well as Fox News. (Don't even get me started....ugh...)
When you get your streaming solution all figured out and everything is set up, could you let me know if they like it and how long it took them to learn the basics of how to watch stuff? My parents have similar interests in tv that yours do (Fox News included), and I'd like to get them off cable one of these days.
I'm not really savvy when it comes to this stuff, so I don't want to bother if your parents end up hating everything.

Wolvenreign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might be able to get away with a GPU upgrade and maybe a better PSU if needed. I'm still rocking my i7 920 (not even overclocked anymore since that stopped working for some reason and the BIOS kept saying "overclocking failed") and it runs anything I throw at it, although not necessarily on max settings due to me only having a GTX 970.

You might have to run two separate OS installs, for example running Kodi inside a VM while you play games on the main install, or setting up something like Proxmox or unRAID and having one VM for games and one for Kodi. In the latter case you have to forward the GPU to the gaming VM to get good performance, but then the Kodi VM won't have a GPU assigned to it (unless you can forward the iGPU?) and that would be a problem.

Games usually won't accept input while in the background, due to how input works in Windows. Some might, but it will be hit and miss. Controller input with an XInput controller or using XOutput with a non-XInput controller usually seems to work in the background, but keyboard and mouse do not.
Kodi can probably be configured to accept input in the background, depending on what you're using to control it. Obviously having it controlled with keyboard or mouse or a remote that sends keyboard/mouse commands will interfere with the game. Especially mouse, since both mice will be controlling the same cursor.

But trying to run both on the same OS install at the same time is never going to work well.
A much better solution would be to set up some sort of media server (DLNA, SMB server, or even some proprietary server with the correct Kodi plugin) on the PC and use it for downloading movies etc., and use a cheap Raspberry Pi with Kodi (OSMC is good for that) for actually playing the content. Also, you can set up a plugin such as Quasar Burst to stream movies and shows directly on the Raspberry Pi so you/they don't have to rely on downloading everything beforehand, and some plugins for free web TV. The PC is kind of redundant in this case, since you could do all the downloading on the Pi itself with an external HDD or a large MicroSD card, but doing it on the PC is sort of easier once it's all set up.

Yeah, you're totally right. The game plan I'm going for now is just to pretend that the PC is necessary while creating a standalone solution for the cable.

When you get your streaming solution all figured out and everything is set up, could you let me know if they like it and how long it took them to learn the basics of how to watch stuff? My parents have similar interests in tv that yours do (Fox News included), and I'd like to get them off cable one of these days.
I'm not really savvy when it comes to this stuff, so I don't want to bother if your parents end up hating everything.

Sure thing, I'll let you know. In fact, once it's all done, I'll compile all the useful information into a tutorial and put it in the tutorial section.

Reactions: GameSystem

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I've got the Fire TV. Now it's time to stick the landing. If you guys have any additional advice, now would be the time to say it.
Nothing I haven't said already; Kodi on FireTV with Plex and an IPTV app connected to Project Free TV for cable, and use the PC to store your movies and TV shows on and serve them to the FireTV using Plex

Wolvenreign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing I haven't said already; Kodi on FireTV with Plex and an IPTV app connected to Project Free TV for cable, and use the PC to store your movies and TV shows on and serve them to the FireTV using Plex

Alright, here goes. Getting Kodi onto the Fire TV now.

Also it looks like Project Free TV is down atm.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

Wolvenreign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh. That site looks like it's about to put Cable into The Lost Age.

A million internet points to you if you get that joke.
I don't, but Google says Golden Sun sequel title?

Edit: Oh, heh, I just saw the URLs of some of the channel streams. That's clever lol

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

Wolvenreign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, guys, the demonstration using the FireTV is over.

And it was a SLAM. DUNK.

Fox News and tons upon tons of other live TV channels are preloaded onto the Kodi 17.6 No Limits build as outlined in this video, meaning that it's more or less a 1:1 replacement for cable. The on-demand streaming available, as well as the end to the monthly cost of cable means that Kodi No Limits absolutely humiliated the Direct TV box that we have, even with the Amazon Fire TV's dinky specs. The computer has been agreed to. I'm going to compile a complete tutorial for all of this later, but suffice it to say, this all went exactly according to plan. Huzzah!

For those wondering where Fox News is, after you install No Limits Magic (I made sure to use the non-XXX install LOL), it's under CCloudTV. It was under a few other sources as well. Absolute perfection.

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget to take a before/after picture of your electric bill. Some people are saying that the cost of the PC running will sometimes outweigh the cost of the cable bill.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget to take a before/after picture of your electric bill. Some people are saying that the cost of the PC running will sometimes outweigh the cost of the cable bill.
Not convinced, cableco set top boxes are legendarily inefficient and as long as his PC isn't rendering 3D graphics or mining cryptocurrency, it should sip power. They might actually save money there, too

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm starting to sound like a Tck