Hardware Broken 3ds XL hinge

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just went and bought a used 3ds XL off ebay, has had a tumble and was pretty cheap so I though why the hell not, there was many photos and even a youtube video showing it working so I think I got a bargain for £60

The reason it was so cheap is because the previous owner dropped it and the hinge broke off and the top screen doesn't work, now the plan is that I'm going to repair it, have had a bit of experience with original ds's and iphones etc so it shouldnt be too difficult.

Only question is with this do I need just a new hinge or a whole new housing for the xl. Here's a picture

798250481_o.jpg

798250479_o.jpg

Anyone point me in the right direction on this one

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You will need a new upper LCD and this section of the housing. The rest of the housing can most likely be reused, as long as there's no other damage. Before buying the new upper LCD, just make sure the ribbon cable for the original is actually damaged, rather than merely disconnected. The chances of this happening are slim, but sometimes when the console is dropped the ribbon cable just comes loose without actually being damaged, causing the black upper screen. Unfortunately, most of the time it does get torn though.

Here's a good guide to the repair, if you need it.

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You will need a new upper LCD and this section of the housing. The rest of the housing can most likely be reused, as long as there's no other damage. Before buying the new upper LCD, just make sure the ribbon cable for the original is actually damaged, rather than merely disconnected. The chances of this happening are slim, but sometimes when the console is dropped the ribbon cable just comes loose without actually being damaged, causing the black upper screen. Unfortunately, most of the time it does get torn though.

Here's a good guide to the repair, if you need it.
Thanks man, bought the screen cause even if I don't need it, it's always good to have a spare lying around just in case. Will buy the housing when I get a chance as I'm happy to use it like is for the time being, bit of electrical tape to cover the opening, just get Xmas out of the way first. Would I need another hinge barrel as well do you think.

bendrr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just went and bought a used 3ds XL off ebay, has had a tumble and was pretty cheap so I though why the hell not, there was many photos and even a youtube video showing it working so I think I got a bargain for £60

The reason it was so cheap is because the previous owner dropped it and the hinge broke off and the top screen doesn't work, now the plan is that I'm going to repair it, have had a bit of experience with original ds's and iphones etc so it shouldnt be too difficult.

Only question is with this do I need just a new hinge or a whole new housing for the xl. Here's a picture

798250481_o.jpg

798250479_o.jpg

Anyone point me in the right direction on this one

A quick piece of advice, make sure you roll the three cables together tight enough to easily push them through the hinge ring. The guides don't seem to stress it enough. Use a piece of scotch or thin tape to hold it. I'll bet you'll have good luck!

bendrr

Reactions: SmileCitrus

bendrr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One more tip or two, not a bump :teach: . Hopefully it helps save a ribbon somewhere. Try rolling the three cables around a very small screwdriver or something similar. It helps hold the ribbons for tape and gets you the size you need to push them through the barrel ring and hinge together. Definitely no expert, probably a better way. The first one I did was a nicked cable. The opportunity for a practice run was valuable and saved the new cable for sure. I recommend it if you have the chance. Sounds harder than it is but the first one can be intimidating, it was for me.

bendrr

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1