Hacking Bricking the Wii - preventable?

ron555

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

New to the Wii scene. I heard about the Super Paper Mario + PAL Wii bricking fiasco. It happened when the Wiis tried to update with an incorrect region update.

Bottom line question: if you don't connect your wii to an internet connection, then bricking is impossible (with this method), right?

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think you got it wrong. if you DO NOT connect to the internet, then it is POSSIBLE for your PAL Wii to be bricked when you run Super Paper Mario NTSC version.

niklasnyfiken

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Internet connection doesn't matter. All you need is a current firmware version installed before trying to install the US Super Paper Mario firmware version on a PAL/JAP Wii.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Internet connection doesn't matter. All you need is a current firmware version installed before trying to install the US Super Paper Mario firmware version on a PAL/JAP Wii.
I guess it's time to spell it out again...

As niklasnyfiken has said above you want a current firmware version on your PAL Wii, however "current" isn't exactly what's needed to avoid the SPM update bricking.
You require the 2.1E or 2.2E firmware (current version) installed on your PAL Wii to avoid any problems with the SPM update.
By connecting your Wii to the net and updating it you should (at the moment) get the 2.2E firmware which is good. You can also get the 2.1E firmware update from a PAL game disc that has the update on it (SSX Blur I believe) that will solve the problem.

It is possible that future Firmware updates could create troubles for other region games so having the 'current version firmware' is not a guarantee for the future. E.G 2.5E firmware on your PAL Wii may give you a bricked Wii when you play Mario Galaxy on it.. pure speculation but it's a possibility.

The best way to avoid problems (other than sticking to your region's titles) is to read the boards here at GBAtemp to see if their are known problems and/or solutions with particular out of region titles.
You know someone out there can't wait to try it and if possible will stuff it up, this means if you're patient you can avoid their mistake.
wink.gif

To answer the original question though, bricking is possible whether connected to the net or not.

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
The updates that pop up when you first try a new game are located on the disc. They do not connect to the Internet at that time to get the update. So, closing your Internet while trying a new game is no guarantee of safety either.

bluemonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Can any UK member's help me please, I have bricked my Wii by using the above game, is there anyway of getting this repaired or is it worth returning it to Nintendo?.
If I did return it to Nintendo will they know it had a modchip in it and will they know I have tried to play a NTSC version of Super Paper Mario in my machine?.

Many Thanks

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can any UK member's help me please, I have bricked my Wii by using the above game, is there anyway of getting this repaired or is it worth returning it to Nintendo?.
If I did return it to Nintendo will they know it had a modchip in it and will they know I have tried to play a NTSC version of Super Paper Mario in my machine?.

Many Thanks
I recommend you have a search and look around the forums because several people have done the same as you and there are a few threads on this. From what I read in those Nintendo had offered to repair/replace a few peoples bricked/broken Wii systems for around £52, however a week or two back Nintendo posted a message on the front page of their website stating that modchips are illegal and Nintendo will not honour warranties or repair systems that have been modded, so whether or not they will still repair/replace your Wii, even for a fee, I do not know.

And yes they will be able to tell that you had a modchip in your system even if you take it out because the Wii wouldn't have been able to recognise the SPM disc had it not been chipped.

I suggest you take out the modchip and ring Nintendo up saying you bought the machine second hand or something and it was DOA and just play innocent. At the moment there is no way to repair the machine yourself.

smile.gif

elomaniak

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
QUOTE said:
I suggest you take out the modchip and ring Nintendo up saying you bought the machine second hand or something and it was DOA and just play innocent. At the moment there is no way to repair the machine yourself.

nintendo will tell you to pay for the brick even if you play the innocent
the console has beedn opened and you should know that even if you bought it on second hand

so the warrantyisn't usable anymore

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:

nintendo will tell you to pay for the brick even if you play the innocent
the console has beedn opened and you should know that even if you bought it on second hand

so the warrantyisn't usable anymore
Well of course the warranty isn't valid, the point of playing innocent is that Nintendo are much more likely to offer to repair your Wii if you say something like:

'My son was desperate for a Nintendo Wii and all the shops were sold out so we bought a machine second hand but when we hooked it up it wasn't working'

As opposed to:

'Well I illegally modded my Wii so I could play stacks of copied games and never have to purchase a game again, but your stupid update on SPM broke it!'

smile.gif

hanarecca

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is another issue, think about this one.

Eventually Free Loader will come out and allow play of import games from many regions, question is those players will also have issues since they are playing say a NSTC-J games on a NTSC-U system. The chance to brick will still be there, but I wonder what the solution for that will be considering everyone will be sending alot of complaints to not only Nintendo but to Datel.

ssj4android

Trophies
XP
Country
If they manage to release a Freeloader, it means they can run whatever code they want. Surely they could figure out a way to disable the game running the updater.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already