Bought an Acer CB315 Chromebook and can't install a lot of Play Store apps

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Purchased a Chromebook specifically to access bank apps that otherwise can't be accessed via a browser, but unfortunately a lot of them say they're incompatible and my only option is to sideload? That seems a bit risky, to be honest.

I thought a Chromebook would handle everything that an Android phone/tablet does, yet it does not. ;( I even bought it because I read it gets constant security updates whereas phones and tablets eventually reach the end of security support (just forces customers to buy a new phone despite the old one working just fine).

So, what are my options, if any (other than sideload)? I read FydeOS and BrunchOS are pretty good though do they allow all apps to be installed on a computer?

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Purchased a Chromebook specifically to access bank apps that otherwise can't be accessed via a browser, but unfortunately a lot of them say they're incompatible and my only option is to sideload? That seems a bit risky, to be honest.

I thought a Chromebook would handle everything that an Android phone/tablet does, yet it does not. ;( I even bought it because I read it gets constant security updates whereas phones and tablets eventually reach the end of security support (just forces customers to buy a new phone despite the old one working just fine).

So, what are my options, if any (other than sideload)? I read FydeOS and BrunchOS are pretty good though do they allow all apps to be installed on a computer?
It depends on the apps, alot of android apps only support ARM CPU. Unless the devs provide binary files for the architecture of the device, so in this case it needs x86 binaries. Android Emulators uses 'Houdini' to translate ARM to x86 so BrunchOS might work, I think it does include it, but the compatibility is a hit or miss.

Last edited by Kazesama,

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Android can be installed on a PC, and it runs fine... Your good old x86 PC runs android just fine or if you want just emulate android on windows https://www.bluestacks.com/

And if you want you can crack your chromebook and install windows or linux on it
https://mrchromebox.tech/

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Android can be installed on a PC, and it runs fine... Your good old x86 PC runs android just fine or if you want just emulate android on windows https://www.bluestacks.com/

And if you want you can crack your chromebook and install windows or linux on it
https://mrchromebox.tech/
If it were games or apps I didn't care about, I'd use that emulator sure, but I need something secure so I'll be trying Brunch.

Thanks, @Kazesama.

Great Chromebook although very unfortunate to not run the apps I need.

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it were games or apps I didn't care about, I'd use that emulator sure, but I need something secure so I'll be trying Brunch.

Thanks, @Kazesama.

Great Chromebook although very unfortunate to not run the apps I need.
I bought a cheap amazon fire tablet for the same purpose (bank apps etc) xD at least this works out of the box.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a cheap amazon fire tablet for the same purpose (bank apps etc) xD at least this works out of the box.
Which model is it?

I'm using Brave on this Chromebook and even though it was directly from the Play Store it gets some seizures sometimes.. lol. I honestly did not expect this from the Chrome OS.

Btw, I keep pressing the Search button as I'm so used to pressing it on Windows (Caps Lock). heh

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which model is it?

I'm using Brave on this Chromebook and even though it was directly from the Play Store it gets some seizures sometimes.. lol. I honestly did not expect this from the Chrome OS.

Btw, I keep pressing the Search button as I'm so used to pressing it on Windows (Caps Lock). heh
i have an idea, why not one of those ONN tablets from walmart $70 for a cheap tablet with no shipping!

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fire HD 8 2020 model, it was on sale for 50$
Which model is it?

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you want a secure OS, use one that is not so much used by generality. I would recommend a Linux derivate. As example with good user experience and regular security updates there is Ubuntu (a Debian fork). "Ubuntu touch" especially for tabletes. Then you got also the ability to harden it against security risk. The most interesting thing is for sure, a lot of Linux systems doesnt even use and need a virusscanner.

Last edited by Sypherone,

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want a secure OS, use one that is not so much used by generality. I would recommend a Linux derivate. As example with good user experience and regular security updates there is Ubuntu (a Debian fork). "Ubuntu touch" especially for tabletes. Then you got also the ability to harden it against security risk. The most interesting thing is for sure, a lot of Linux systems doesnt even use and need a virusscanner.
It's primarily for bank apps and have Android/Chromebook security updates whenever needed.

While not ideal, I'll just carefully sideload apks from my phone to the Chromebook and use it. The apps do work fine, it's just they weren't designed for big screens.

By the way, Ridge Racer Slipstream looks and plays beautifully on it even though it was delisted from the Play Store (doesn't work on newer Android versions). Bandai definitely needs to revive RR.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might try then Sophos security, it seems also available for chrom OS and there basics are free. Its a next generation Antivirus application and checks for standart threats e.g virus and maleware, but also recognize if something tries to intrude/infect other prozesses. https://community.sophos.com/sophos...7815/how-to-deploy-sophos-chromebook-security
Thanks.

I have tried to side-load the apps and even doing so a lot still don't work, either they install and then boot itself out or refuse to install due to incompatibility. Really tried to make this Chromebook work for me as it has a nice 15" screen and 64GB SSD.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I didnt had a notebook or tablet like this. So i didnt know a workaround. I only knew about someone who purchased once a microsoft notebook with arm processor i think, maybe a surface. And even wasnt able to install office on it ?!?
But on Linux you are able to install "snap ins" of Windows based programms.

Hmmm.. Android is a linux fork... Chrom OS, too. Wikipedia says, its a fork of Gentoo. GNU/Linux -> Gentoo -> Chromium OS -> Google chrom OS. So you should be able to install apps from other linux sources/repository. So just a hint: https://www.google.com/amp/s/beebom.com/best-linux-apps-chromebook/amp/

> EDIT: Because its Linux, i just would say, if available get the linux version of the app and install it. But to install debian/ubuntu packages like .deb or .rpm on gentoo it needs research. Gentoo seems to use other formats. And for sure you have to use the Terminal to do that, but thats normal under Linux https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Cheat_Sheet

Last edited by Sypherone,

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So no one else pointed this out here, but you do realize that ChromeOS does not have the same fully functional application support and security layer support needed on all apps, including your banking apps.

Google came out with this nifty shitty thing awhile back called SafetyNet, and its intended use was to be put on apps as a form of DRM to detect whether or not the operating system is qualified to run said app. Qualifications meaning that its a full up to date supported Android OS with the security updates. This also means however that if you are running anything outside of this spec the SafetyNet flags will trigger and will not make your app work citing incompatibilities\security issues with the OS. This was abused in some cases where people running rooted and other OS/ROM's on android devices would get flagged with this since its not officially supported by Google and its SafetyNet protocol.

I am sorry to say, but if you want to use your banking apps, you are going to need a proper , officially supported Android device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel