ROM Hack BotW Save Converter (Switch <-> Wii U)

Wilrich25

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A repository appeared on GitHub which apparently converts saves from the Wii U Save file format into the Switch's File format so that you can transfer your save from the Wii U version to the Switch's and viceversa.

Hello, Just a quick question, do I need to install homebrew software on my wiiu and/or switch to just copy from wiiu to switch? (just want BOTW without having to replay all the shrines etc that I have done.)

Reactions: linuxaresisagaysob

jrhb314

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone PLEASE post a step by step guide? This thread seems to assume you already have modding experience with BotW.

I got the save from the WiiU onto a USB, but when I attempt to use the save converter, Windows tells me it doesn't recognize the file system and I can't even look at the contents. I assumed perhaps the problem was I needed to use a save dumper(?) to convert the data into something Windows can recognize, but that doesn't seem to be how a save dumper works? I don't know enough to know if I'm actually running into an error, or if I'm just missing steps.

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone PLEASE post a step by step guide? This thread seems to assume you already have modding experience with BotW.

I got the save from the WiiU onto a USB, but when I attempt to use the save converter, Windows tells me it doesn't recognize the file system and I can't even look at the contents. I assumed perhaps the problem was I needed to use a save dumper(?) to convert the data into something Windows can recognize, but that doesn't seem to be how a save dumper works? I don't know enough to know if I'm actually running into an error, or if I'm just missing steps.

Yes, you need Saviine to dump your save before you do something with this guide!

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I am getting a Jig for my Switch next week and will finally be able to hack my Switch :)
I am wanting to transfer my Wii U BOTW Save to Switch, but if I remember right, Wii U game version is lower than my Switch version of game. Do both BOTW Wii U and Switch need to be same game version? Thoughts and help greatly appreciated :)

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes they need to be the same game version, I know that much

Ok, since my save won't work, is there an 100% or "Ultimate" save for BOTW Switch?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

[
Can confirm this works ^^ thanks a lot!
My versions of the game were different between the Switch and WiiU and it still worked great. WiiU v1.2 USA -> Switch v1.3.1 JPN
On github theres a fork of source code that OP mentioned and someone built a UI which really helped out.
Cant post links, but if you check out JordanZeotni and their repo BotW-Save-Manager, I'm sure youll find it

I am confused. Do both Wii U and Switch need to be same version? funayman says they don't need to be same game version...

FunThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
you can use a lower version save file on a higher version of the game but not the other way without editing some files, i think there was a file somewhere where the game version is written to

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I am getting my Jig tomorrow. I dumped my Wii U Save with Saviine just now. To prepare for doing the save convert and transfer, what do I need to use and download? To inject the converted save, do I use Checkpoint? Help appreciated :)

afra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Works for bayonetta1 and 2 ?.. please tell me İ can convert hundreds of hour of my bayonetta to switch

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. What am I supposed to download for Windows UI? I went to the github on first page, not sure what I need...
Help appreciated :)

Update: I got what I needed. I converted saves, it says successful and shows Switch icon. But, when I open save directory again, it shows Wii U Icon? Help appreciated :)

Final Update: I figured it out. For injecting the converted save, can I just use Checkpoint? Help appreciated :)

Last edited by Skeet1983,

jeisoft

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi guys. What am I supposed to download for Windows UI? I went to the github on first page, not sure what I need...
Help appreciated :)

Update: I got what I needed. I converted saves, it says successful and shows Switch icon. But, when I open save directory again, it shows Wii U Icon? Help appreciated :)

Final Update: I figured it out. For injecting the converted save, can I just use Checkpoint? Help appreciated :)

I have the Option.save already converted (Switch icon)... what about now? how to transfer/inject to switch?

arabtm

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
basically, you just need to dump your wiiu save. I simply used ftpiiu to copy the save, others say savemii should also work. It took me a while to figure out how to use ftpiiu because it was long time ago I used it, but basically CFW needs to run first, before you can use it. so I run Mocha CFW first.

afterwards, I convert the save using the GUI in the front page. it will tell what is your save, version file (mine is latest, which is v1.5). then, you have to save the converted save in other folder (this is what I missed in the GUI, because of not reading carefully). after that, you'll have switch compatible save.

the next step is to install botw and also checkpoint homebrow on switch. at least run checkpoint once (I think), and checkpoint should create a zelda directory under /switch/save directory in your sd (or something like that)

copy your converted wiiu -> switch savefiles on the checkpoint zelda directory, and again open checkpoint and restore the said files.then that's it.

Funbags82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is this utility used? Sorry for being ignorant. I just don't see an exe or a program that can be run. I've got the Wii U option.sav file in the 80000001 folder, but I do not know what to do with it. The instructions are a bit ambiguous to me. Any help in the right direction would be amazing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1