Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N4RU70 FR34K said:
Guild McCommunist said:
zant said:
We have this thing called a RedBox........... makes a whole lot more sense than blockbuster! Rent a DVD for a $1, or a blu ray for $1.50! Its only a matter of time before they factor games in!

Yeah, RedBoxes are like in every Stop N' Shop. My dad rents DVDs from there and just rips them. I guess it's easier than downloading DVD replicas online.
Don't they use credit cards to rent the DVD
unsure.gif
How are they going to know you copied it? As long as it's for personal use only there is no problem apart from the legality and perhaps guilt.

N4RU70 FR34K

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
N4RU70 FR34K said:
Guild McCommunist said:
zant said:
We have this thing called a RedBox........... makes a whole lot more sense than blockbuster! Rent a DVD for a $1, or a blu ray for $1.50! Its only a matter of time before they factor games in!

Yeah, RedBoxes are like in every Stop N' Shop. My dad rents DVDs from there and just rips them. I guess it's easier than downloading DVD replicas online.
unsure.gif
How are they going to know you copied it? As long as it's for personal use only there is no problem apart from the legality and perhaps guilt.
I don't know?
unsure.gif
But I thought he was talking about something else.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N4RU70 FR34K said:
Mantis41 said:
N4RU70 FR34K said:
Guild McCommunist said:
zant said:

unsure.gif
I don't know?
unsure.gif
But I thought he was talking about something else.
Probably. I'm well known to miss the point of a conversation entirely.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
N4RU70 FR34K said:
Guild McCommunist said:
zant said:

unsure.gif
Hot Red Box tip: if you call the customer service and say there was the wrong dvd, someone replaced it with a cd, etc, they give you at least 2 codes from free rentals. 1 for not getting the product you paid for, and 1 to keep you going back to the box. Friend of mine worked for their customer service and said there are people with 500+ rentals who have only paid for 1, cuz of the free rental codes.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
injected11 said:
N4RU70 FR34K said:
Guild McCommunist said:
zant said:

unsure.gif
Hot Red Box tip: if you call the customer service and say there was the wrong dvd, someone replaced it with a cd, etc, they give you at least 2 codes from free rentals. 1 for not getting the product you paid for, and 1 to keep you going back to the box. Friend of mine worked for their customer service and said there are people with 500+ rentals who have only paid for 1, cuz of the free rental codes.

Do you then have to return the offending CD or DVD?

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dudeonline said:
injected11 said:
N4RU70 FR34K said:
Guild McCommunist said:
zant said:

unsure.gif

Do you then have to return the offending CD or DVD?
Depends on what they tell you to do. If it's just the wrong title, they'll give you your codes and have you drop the old one off at the box. If someone swapped the disc for a cd, they may tell you to toss it so it doesn't go back into their rotation. However, if you throw it out WITHOUT calling customer service first, it won't matter if the disc was faulty, you get hit with late fees, which is the bulk of how RedBox makes its money. Calling with any issue other than not being able to operate your own dvd player (they get hundreds of these calls a day...) will normally net you 2 or more free rental codes. (Late return fees still apply to free rentals)

zant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
injected11 said:
Depends on what they tell you to do. If it's just the wrong title, they'll give you your codes and have you drop the old one off at the box. If someone swapped the disc for a cd, they may tell you to toss it so it doesn't go back into their rotation. However, if you throw it out WITHOUT calling customer service first, it won't matter if the disc was faulty, you get hit with late fees, which is the bulk of how RedBox makes its money. Calling with any issue other than not being able to operate your own dvd player (they get hundreds of these calls a day...) will normally net you 2 or more free rental codes. (Late return fees still apply to free rentals)
thanks for the tip. ima try tomorrow
nayps3.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I popped into my local british blockbuster, bought some popcorn, then asked about the bankruptcy.
They said only the american branch was going bust, looks like my popcorn supply is safe.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Just one step further to a communist america. Its the same way how Circuit City went out of business. Prices were too high and bad customer service. I used to love Blockbuster when I can rent Super Smash Bros on Friday nights. It was awesome bacl then...now its just an old 70's drive-thur diner.

tuddy666

Trophies
XP
Country
shakirmoledina said:
do ppl here on temp actually "rent" movies or have they shifted themselves to the torrent class
we dont even have rental services here, even if there are... they must be pirated copies
To answer your question, I haven't rented a movie in a while. Most rental stores (as in brick and mortar stores, I don't know about the online equivalents) are overpriced beyond belief for movies, making it much cheaper in the long run (and much more sensible) to just buy the DVD I want for a few pounds more. Of course, that's not to say I buy every movie I watch, because I don't have the money to afford every film I feel like watching on a whim. I, therefore, do a pretty much equal amount of piracy and buying in that regard.

liquidnumb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shakirmoledina said:
do ppl here on temp actually "rent" movies or have they shifted themselves to the torrent class
we dont even have rental services here, even if there are... they must be pirated copies
I got Netflix for the streaming alone. I get DVDs of what they won't stream, and occasionally torrent the very few brand new movies I actually have an interest in.

Randamin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Earlier this week I decided to rent some wii games since I felt like getting some games
to rip for my cfg loader.

My first stop was this local store called West Express Videos & Games since that is where
I used to go back in the day to rent my gamecube games. Surprisingly the store looked
greatly different from what it was before. The most major change was the store actually
shrunk (probably to pay less rent) and the layout was obviously changed. After walking
around for a couple of times not being able to find the videogame section I asked the
cashier and he responded by saying they did not carry and games.

It was much of a letdown to see the video rental place I was loyal to is no longer what it
used to be.
sad.gif

The next closest place to rent games was Blockbuster which was the only other
brick & mortar store to rent games from. Now this was the first time I have stepped into
this store in many years so the first thing to notice was the poor selection with only half
a side shelf of wii games. Still there were some titles that I wanted to rent but what
stopped me from doing so are the high prices of $8 for 5 days.

Another store worth mentioning is Hollywood Video which I also rented from there before
and the store closed a month or two ago. At first I thought only the store here closed but
I did a little research and the whole chain went down taking gamecrazy along with it.

So in the end I am considering subscribing to gamefly since they also have the possibility
of also having gamecube games and in the long run cheaper than renting from blockbuster.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Have some in closet allegations?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Someone tried to pull a gun on me once, they reached into the couch thinking I wouldn't notice, quick kick to the arm snapping it between the wrist and elbow broke like a swing lol I reached into the couch to see what was in there, cool a free .380 lol had to hit him with it a few times to remind him not to do it again lol
    He had the 20K he owed the very next day it was a miracle lol
    Psi was a bad bad man at one point lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We need a GTA based on your life, or at least put you in 6 as a character.
    I don't think people would believe 10% of the things I have done lol thank god...
    I have a giant check list of impossible things, and I haven't done them all yet lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Was the pot farmer in San andreas
    I tell people I wrestled a 5 foot alligator and they get this smile like this guy is full of shit lol the reality is I am sad it got away.... I wanted a pet alligator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You live in Florida, so I believe it, you guys are crazy.
    At the time I would have probably fed it people lol
    Seriously cocaine not even once lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not even once, but 100's of times
    +2
    My girlfriend at the time, she had me stay up with her all night because some how the crazy bitch had spent like 12 hours snorting 2 8 balls, didn't use any water (gotta clean your nose) so she had so much crusted in her nose I was sure she was gonna blow up her heart. I mean this was the stuff right off the boat so absolutely pure. ugghh so annoying
    Also doing like 320 dollars worth of coke in half a day lol damn it
    hmmm 360 even lol
    Well I was getting a discount so 320 is probably right
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That is cheap, I used to pay $100 for a tine.
    Tine? One gram?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol +1