Homebrew blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do have it though you could not of compiled the emulator without it, the old ld script doesn't work, just post the file here, you cant test your emulator without compiling your source which includes that FILE

I'd give it a year, time is ticking and more you and smealum keep the files, you are holding back 3ds homebrew. And don't give me that "I don't have it anymore!" Yes you do, that's the only way for your own source code can be linked to create the elf.

All I see is self-entitlement, please keep your bitching to another thread and stop bothering the author.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
By the way, as someone else pointed out, those files are part of the toolchain, not blargSnes. Therefore they don't have a reason to be provided in the blargSnes repo or in this thread.

Unrelatedly, I added some rudimentary border support. If a border file is present on the SD card, it'll use that as a border, otherwise it'll use its fallback border.

I also made a nicer fallback border, so it doesn't look like the PPU forgot to clear it before painting on it :P And moved the 'blargSNES / http://blahblah' part inside the screen area. That part will be mandatory, no matter the border.

(and I'm surprised noone noticed that the website still doesn't exist :P )

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed the url and have actually tried it multiple times, even though this thread is the temporary official home. :ph34r:

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
A website will come eventually.

I just reserved the URL early and put it in the emulator to avoid ending up with a lolsnes.com type clone again.

Those sites are a big fake emu site network, probably designed to get money. lolsnes.com also has shady things like 'download a girlfriend' or an outdated lolSnes download provided with a SMW ROM.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A website will come eventually.

I just reserved the URL early and put it in the emulator to avoid ending up with a lolsnes.com type clone again.

Those sites are a big fake emu site network, probably designed to get money. lolsnes.com also has shady things like 'download a girlfriend' or an outdated lolSnes download provided with a SMW ROM.
Those fake sites are always amusing. Apparently they think DraStic is a SNES emulator?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
By the way, as someone else pointed out, those files are part of the toolchain, not blargSnes. Therefore they don't have a reason to be provided in the blargSnes repo or in this thread.

Unrelatedly, I added some rudimentary border support. If a border file is present on the SD card, it'll use that as a border, otherwise it'll use its fallback border.

I also made a nicer fallback border, so it doesn't look like the PPU forgot to clear it before painting on it :P And moved the 'blargSNES / http://blahblah' part inside the screen area. That part will be mandatory, no matter the border.

(and I'm surprised noone noticed that the website still doesn't exist :P )

keep up the nice work sir

Reactions: Arisotura

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That....actually makes some sense. Why rewrite the entire game's code for the 3DS when you can alter the emulator to include features (and necessary references for more power), and then just change the existing code of the game to incorporate those changes?

I would assume they statically recompile the code too, with this and various other techniques you can get rid of a lot of overhead of a traditional emulator.

You can argue forever whether it's a port or an emulator, but it's the only way to get performance and a decent level of 3d effect and the logic of the game engine should be entirely in tact.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
A little progress report.

I finally fixed the bug with sprites that have a negative Y (ie on the top, partially offscreen).

I'm refactoring the drawing code, and it's not done so it's not as fast as I'd like, but it's promising.

I implemented master brightness in hardware (done the same way as color math, applying a brightness texture over the SNES video output). Gotta say that a lot of games look nicer with their fadein/fadeout effects (those typically hide garbage screens that show up during screen transitions).

I'd like to also implement windows, and call it good for a release once the new renderer is all clean. Windows are important too since they can be used to partially hide layers or alter color math. But I have to think about a fast way to implement them. They are complex. If I got it right, for EACH layer you take the bounds of the two windows and combine them according to the per-layer window combination logic setting, then check another per-layer register to determine which region is considered to be 'inside' the window, and then choose to render pixels or not (and apply color math or not) depending on that.

Oh well. We'll see how much slowdown that shit will cause.

On this topic, I have ideas in mind for a new, better automatic frameskipper. It will automatically skip frames to try and keep the speed at 60fps, but also limit maximum frameskip to 5 or so. More frameskip typically makes games impossible to play.

Another possibility would be interlacing. It would be smoother than frameskip but wouldn't look nice, especially if there is fast movement going on.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I don't like interlacing on psp either. It output a blurry and ugly picture. Personnaly, I always disable interlacing, even on my smartphone, also on my Wii :D . seeing perfect pixels is "HD" for my eyes hahaha :D
Anyway, Good job Staplebutter! It is really making me wanting a f***** 4.5 3ds with a f****** Gateway :P

Reactions: Huntereb

gypsynimrod

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Why are teenagers acting as if they are owed this? Do you guys not see how you're filling the stereotype and looking idiotic in the process?

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where the crap did that come from all of a sudden?

She might be talking about the guy freaking out demanding a linker file, even though the linker came included in something outside of Blagsnes.

Honestly with what happened with that other guy "leaking" a compiled build, I'd rather see the source available for learning purposes for other people to read and use for their own homebrew, with no way to compile it, than see more "leaked" builds and the other give up.

But no, pretty much everyone in this thread and St4rk's 3DNES thread are helpful and constructive with their input. Probably two of the better threads quality of post wise. Though my favorite thread right now is the CTR_Decryptor one. Almost 50 pages of useful info.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
She might be talking about the guy freaking out demanding a linker file, even though the linker came included in something outside of Blagsnes.

Honestly with what happened with that other guy "leaking" a compiled build, I'd rather see the source available for learning purposes for other people to read and use for their own homebrew, with no way to compile it, than see more "leaked" builds and the other give up.

But no, pretty much everyone in this thread and St4rk's 3DNES thread are helpful and constructive with their input. Probably two of the better threads quality of post wise. Though my favorite thread right now is the CTR_Decryptor one. Almost 50 pages of useful info.

Ah, well, whoops. Anyways, I was just putting in my two cents about interlacing :P

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I never leaked anything. I just distributed the bin compiled from the open src with the 2 mods I added in (which is why open src exists). If you would have bothered to download and look in the archive then you would see that I gave the proper credit to StapleButter for the emulator. I'm not trying to steal anything from anyone and if he asked me to remove it I would.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I never leaked anything. I just distributed the bin compiled from the open src with the 2 mods I added in (which is why open src exists). If you would have bothered to download and look in the archive then you would see that I gave the proper credit to StapleButter for the emulator. I'm not trying to steal anything from anyone and if he asked me to remove it I would.

not you, but the other guy who compiled and distributed a pre 1.0 build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-