Homebrew blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would much rather prefer to play my beloved classics with great sound and no framerate drops (like it is for most games right now) than to worry about 3D support.

Then you should probably NOT use (or expect to use - OR even consider to use) a homebrew emulator on the 3DS (at least for the special-chip games)...

If you are going to make a emulator for the 3DS - then you could at least EXPLORE the possibility of a 3D-effect mode - thats my opionion anyways.

/dACE

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then you should probably NOT use (or expect to use - OR even consider to use) a homebrew emulator on the 3DS...

If you are going to make a emulator for the 3DS - then you could at least EXPLORE the possibility of a 3D-effect mode - thats my opionion anyways.

/dACE

Because 3D is not easy to implement for a 20+ year old console and that you're in the wrong section to be saying that lol:rolleyes: . Emulation and 3D aren't magic, they can't be implemented just like that, you know. Did you know see what the developer said about implementing 3D on the previous page? Many games would be broken. Sheesh. Give it time, whether he can implement it or not doesn't matter. So if an emulator doesn't have a gimmick, it's not worth programming or releasing at all? Yeah, no, I disagree because that's just a foolish and flawed mindset. I would love to see you do a better job.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Then you should probably NOT use (or expect to use - OR even consider to use) a homebrew emulator on the 3DS (at least for the special-chip games)...

/dACE
It would be as I said that if you won't implement the Wiimote IR gimmick into a Wii ported emulator, then don't make any emulator at all?
I have to disagree.

Surely 3D support is a possibility, but quite a feisty one to achieve due to the facts I stated in my post.
Besides, even with 3D support or not, I think it would be nice to have the option to play all your beloved old-school games into just one handheld console like the 3DS.

Reactions: the_randomizer

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that people believe that what they think would happen with the inclusion of 3D support will not necessarily happen. The games were never designed with depth-like 3D in mind, only priority between layers. Take the 3D Classics or even the Sega 3D Classics, for example. Why do those do it? Because they were designed for it. From what I understand, the NES 3D Classics are completely remade. The Sega 3D Classics are not, but they are neither emulating the original games as-is. The team M2 altered both the base emulator and the original games to make them use 3D and get them running on the 3DS. All that's happening with BlargSNES is emulating the original games, nothing more.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Special chips are more important if we are to get higher compatibility. 3D should definitely be lower priority.
Special chips are more important if we are to get higher compatibility. 3D should definitely be lower priority.
Oh I think fixing compatibility of non chip games should take priority over 3d getting compatibility up to speed for all but the harder to emulate chips then 3d then harder to emulate chips
It's probably easier to get 3d working that the harder to emulate chips even if it is not perfect on all games if it function we'll on a few of the top titles it's still worth it
If we have to wait for all chip game compatibility then neith will probably get done because emulating all special chips might take forever

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
To be honest I don't find 3D interesting, it'd be interesting in things such as a Quake port but when it comes to emulation I find this quite optional...

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I finally found the time to setup BlargSNES this week. I'm just chiming in to say well done and thank you for your hard work!

I was reliving some of my childhood memories yesterday, playing Kirby's Ghost Trap, and man, to the untrained eye of an end-user, such as myself, the game appeared to run flawlessly! There was a slight sound glitch on only one of the notes in the background music somewhere. But all in all, awesome stuff StapleButter

It's almost like the top screen of the 3DS was made for running SNES software. The resolution is spot on!

Reactions: VinsCool

Pa0l0ne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Update ctrulib from git and recompile.

I think that's the opposite thing, too recent ctrulib. Apparently they refactored the CSND API...

Yep..i've git reverted my ctrulib at this old one commit (pre-CSND refactoring), and now i don't have any problem to compile. Thanks all for the help!

34hw1g5.jpg

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah, I tried like a week or two ago to update it with the refactored CSND stuff (I updated the blargSNES code to basically just use the updated function names, but I guess that wasn't enough) but all I managed to get out of it was static and garbage audio, so I've been stuck on 8d68a75 as well when compiling blargSNES; it's frustrating. I wish I knew what to change properly to make it sound correct.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think that's the opposite thing, too recent ctrulib. Apparently they refactored the CSND API.

And 3D rendering isn't likely to be in any time soon. I'm thinking about writing up a document explaining in detail all the obstacles so it's covered once for all. Per-tile priority, midframe changes to graphics, and so on... SNES graphics often look like they're just a set of flat layers and sprites applied to the whole screen, but it's often more complex than that.

A prime example in SMW's Yoshi Island 4. The water and the HUD are both on BG3; the position of that layer is changed midframe to achieve the desired effect. Unaware people would think they are separate layers, but technically they're not.

But the main deal breaker is per-tile priority, really. It would just look weird to have a BG with certain tiles popping out.

And 3D wouldn't work at all in Earthbound. The map is on BG1, and the tiles that need to cover sprites (houses, signs, whatnot) are duplicated on BG2. Attempting to make this 3D would completely ruin it.
I'm one that assumed that you could just set different depth settings to each bg and sprite layer. Or even have settings for endusers to select the order of depth. Sucks if it cant happen.

But i know this has been done with some games. There are a handful of old genesis games on eshop that are rendered 3d, and I'm certain they are just rom images loaded through individual emulators. Just like virtual console games.

Edit:
StapleButter IMHO, I think the priority for any emulator that's in WIP, should be compatibility first, fancy shit afterwards.
And I think 3D support for blargSNES should be at the bottom of the list of the to-do stuff... That's if it even makes it.

Of course, every SNES ROM works with its BG and Sprites in different layers and layouts, so not every game will work in the same way with a 3D effect as everyone thinks they would.

Same applies for NES ROMs, people that have fucked around with ROMs for hacking purposes like I have, know that each game handles Background sprites and Foreground sprites differently, sometimes background could be trees and sky, sometimes ground and a brick, who knows?

It's awful, and 3D would only work properly for some games that share the same sprite layouts, in order to make 3D work for most games, it would require special 3D coding for EACH GOD DAMN game to make it work with a proper 3D effect.

Heck no. XD
I would much rather prefer to play my beloved classics with great sound and no framerate drops (like it is for most games right now) than to worry about 3D support.
If you don't care about the extra features of the 3ds then just play em on your phone with a more stable emulator. Your useless opinion actually pissed me off a bit. "Heck no" "every GOD DAMN GAME". what do you gain from playing emulators on 3ds that you don't get from your phone, aside from what you think is pointless on a 3d device?

So opinionated and ignorant at the same time.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm one that assumed that you could just set different depth settings to each bg and sprite layer. Or even have settings for endusers to select the order of depth. Sucks if it cant happen.

But i know this has been done with some games. There are a handful of old genesis games on eshop that are rendered 3d, and I'm certain they are just rom images loaded through individual emulators. Just like virtual console games.

Edit:
If you don't care about the extra features of the 3ds then just play em on your phone with a more stable emulator. Your useless opinion actually pissed me off a bit. "Heck no" "every GOD DAMN GAME". what do you gain from playing emulators on 3ds that you don't get from your phone, aside from what you think is pointless on a 3d device?

But they're not truly emulation/ports, a lot of the code was written from scratch, this has been discussed on this thread before. 3D isn't magic, people really shouldn't be asking about 3D every other post, it's not simple, at all.

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Edit:

Uhhhh.... actual buttons.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
Hey guys, calm down, don't turn this thread into a flamewar please ;)

The Megadrive game remakes for the 3DS (or whatever that was) are adapted for 3D, and run in an emulator for a console that is basically a 3D-enabled Megadrive.

blargSNES emulates the original SNES, and runs the original games. They lack any kind of 3D information.

As for the 'play on your phone' part: unless you own one of those funky half-joypad half-phone things, the gameplay experience on a phone is vastly inferior, no matter how stable your emulator is. Have you ever tried playing SMW with the touchscreen controls? It's just impossible. Some games are playable, but for most of them, it's shit.

Oh and you also get Android and its commercial stench. They make you pay for their emulator or slap ads on your gameplay or whatever bullshit that homebrew emulators are free of.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
But they're not truly emulation/ports, a lot of the code was written from scratch, this has been discussed on this thread before. 3D isn't magic, people really shouldn't be asking about 3D every other post, it's not simple, at all.
You have to admit, it is an exciting prospect. playing oldschool games in 3d that is. i'm actually curious how it was done for the eshop ones.
I did assume it would be easy just from how the games are rendered in layers. but hopefully when the scene progresses a bit more we'll see some 3d emulation.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I thought I was talking to Staple?
Anyway, I will tell you in one word why I don't play them in other devices:
CONVENIENCE.
Having most of the old school Nintendo games in the 3DS is convenient and handy.

Basically what you are saying is that if the emu doesn't have 3D, then it's not worth it in a 3DS.
That's just... naive. Then 90% of the Homebrew apps for the 3DS shouldn't exist at all.

Not because you have the 3D option means that it should be a must from the get go.
Stability and compatibility comes first, I never said I didn't want 3D, just that it is low in the priority list.

What do you prefer? A SNES emu that plays most of the Snes library in 2D with good stability or a Snes emu that can only play like 5 or so games in 3D?
You are obviously missing the point here.

And I'm aware of the BG sprites and foreground sprites, they could be rendered differently, but since my bet goes into saying that all the experience you have from it is from just fucking around with a PC emulator, then you're at loss.

Each game renders its graphics differently.
Someone already gave a clear example with Earthbound.

Each game would require a specific set of code to render a proper 3D image to the screen with sprite layers.
And the 3D Classic games where made from scratch to accomodate them to the 3D aspect, if not the we would have an entire library of 3D classics and not just 5 or so.

Edit:
Staple and Stew already explained it as well.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

If you're talking about the 3D Classics, it's because they were remade/altered for that, both emulator and game. BlargSNES is just an emulator attempting to play the unmodified games.

And no, it's not as simple as setting a different depth for each layer. Numerous games use multiple layers to construct environments as if they are one. They're not all like Super Mario World which has full segregation of layers. Even Mode 7, a layer that looks like it can represent depth and perspective, does not actually have anything regarding depth other than the priority against other layers. Plus, layers/modes can change mid-frame, so what may be from one scanline to another would not be seamless, even if it was meant to represent that. There's a lot more to this than what people think, and it's too much of a hassle to try to do it as-is, which is why many instead remake the game to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a down scene with slow drums
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh cool that Bodycam games out
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ratings for it are calling it bad, but it looks cool. Damn 48/100 rating.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    looks are deceiving
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea people always down vote games anymore seems like, good or bad, bunch of haters
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, review bombing?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah seems like people hate on original ideas anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh were sorry our small dev team can't shit out a cod clone every 6 months
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly positive on steam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Eew, you use steam, I'm down voting you cause you not using or playing what I like.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yes and epic and gog, sleep with me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gay
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Homophobic
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, whats wrong with steam?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nothing, I was just teasing
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He's a big tease trying to take my booty
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No, I don't wanna make ancientboi mad, I know you two already have a thing going
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He divorced me once I threatened him with the fbi
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2,
    he also fucked uremum despite being gay
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah so did you and I want back child support pay enjoy the lawsuits
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, im virgin
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: