NightMover

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I soft mod the vWii and then follow the directions in this video

Will Wii games I have on my Wii U menu like Mario Galaxy downloaded from NUSspli and launched directly from the Wii U have the enhancements?

Or will it only be Wii games launched
from the vWii?

marchrius

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The part about aspect ratio is completely wrong. Wii games were definitely made with that aspect ratio in mind, making them thinner is kind of stupid.

The same argument can be made for the "blurry" filter, but that one is more a matter of preference.

By the way, yes, you need to run them from a loader where you can deactivate said filter. Running them from the Wii U side or from the original disc won't work.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The part about aspect ratio is completely wrong. Wii games were definitely made with that aspect ratio in mind, making them thinner is kind of stupid.

The same argument can be made for the "blurry" filter, but that one is more a matter of preference.

By the way, yes, you need to run them from a loader where you can deactivate said filter. Running them from the Wii U side or from the original disc won't work.
The games may be, but the console itself isn't. It only outputs a 4:3 signal, then the TV has to stretch it to 16:9. This adds blur due to non integer scaling.
4K TVs are a lot better with this, since the DPI is so high you're unlikely to notice.
It still however lowers the horizontal effective pixel density, since the same number of pixels are being stretched over a larger area.

But it doesn't sound like that's what the video is talking about.

SDTV resolutions have always been a bit oddball, because CRT TVs don't use square pixels. LCDs do use square pixels, however. Ever tried to play a retro game in an emulator? You may have noticed that there is a 4:3 option as well as an original size option. The original size is slightly more narrow than 4:3, and slightly more narrow than it would have been on a retro CRT, yet it's sharper because no weird stretching is going on. However, not everyone likes it because it's technically less authentic to the original experience. Mario looks unusually slim in Super Mario Bros with original aspect ratio. But since all LCDs use square pixels, there's no way to get the "correct" 4:3 aspect ratio without stretching the image horizontally.
SInce 16:9 also renders at the same resolution the same problem occurs.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

neverends4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"See Wii games the way they are meant to be seen."

So with with Dolphin then.
USB loader GX+ blurry filter off might give you the original pic.

and... NATIVE resolution on dolphin is a huge waste for PC nowadays, I played Wii sports resort on an ancient HD7850 with 3x resolution. I have a Wii U, and I'd say dolphin can present MUCH better visuals.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.