Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Did u add a shortcut for it to your start menu --> startup folder? Open the "Run" menu and type "msconfig", then go to the startup tab, do you see modmii there? If so, I have no idea how it got there, but uncheck it so it doesn't run on startup

You are the very first person to report something like this... if the problem were with modmii I would expect more reports from other ModMii users claiming that it's launching on startup. To me it makes more sense that the problem is with your setup. It's not hard to manually make ModMii (or any app) launch at startup, I'm sure I could do that to one of my friends PCs without their knowledge pretty easily, u sure that didn't happen to you?

PJIV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not starting from startup! It is starting by itself! Malwarebytes caught it. It looks like this is a trojan downloader. It keeps wanting to start every now and then. I have no idea why. But my malware catches it everytime. Virus Total is showing 3 hits now. I know you are not doing anything bad, but this is driving me nuts. Can you make another clean version and email it to me, and I'll help you track this down. PM me for the email address. Thanks! Take your time, enjoy your WIFE on vacation, this can wait!

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Malwarebytes must be just picking up on it with it's background scanning. I highly doubt modmii is just starting up on it's own.

Hey xflak, what can we do to fix this fucking virus pop-up from happening. People are still going to report it as bad just to screw with you, so this looks like it is going to be a constant battle. Maybe we need to get your training nun chucks, and I'll grab me wii nun chucks and we can go
ninja.gif
on their ass.
biggrin.gif

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
Malwarebytes must be just picking up on it with it's background scanning. I highly doubt modmii is just starting up on it's own.

Hey xflak, what can we do to fix this fucking virus pop-up from happening. People are still going to report it as bad just to screw with you, so this looks like it is going to be a constant battle. Maybe we need to get your training nun chucks, and I'll grab me wii nun chucks and we can go
ninja.gif
on their ass.
biggrin.gif
Perhaps he should add a virus that disables all anti-virus programs.
wink.gif

DGenerateKane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
Did u add a shortcut for it to your start menu --> startup folder? Open the "Run" menu and type "msconfig", then go to the startup tab, do you see modmii there? If so, I have no idea how it got there, but uncheck it so it doesn't run on startup

You are the very first person to report something like this... if the problem were with modmii I would expect more reports from other ModMii users claiming that it's launching on startup. To me it makes more sense that the problem is with your setup. It's not hard to manually make ModMii (or any app) launch at startup, I'm sure I could do that to one of my friends PCs without their knowledge pretty easily, u sure that didn't happen to you?

It's happened to me several times too with Malwarebytes' Anti-malware. I had to add it to the ignore list, it was happening every few hours. I haven't redownloaded Modmii since your attempts to fix the false positive reports, so I don't know if it is still an issue.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DeadlyFoez said:
People are still going to report it as bad just to screw with you,
If you could simply report something as bad and get it flagged
everyone and their dog would report their competition
and the av would be sued out of existence

there has to be another (additional) reason
maybe one could ask them for it?

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PsyBlade said:
DeadlyFoez said:
People are still going to report it as bad just to screw with you,
If you could simply report something as bad and get it flagged
everyone and their dog would report their competition
and the av would be sued out of existence

there has to be another (additional) reason
maybe one could ask them for it?
I am part of another "modding" scene and the same thing happened to our utils too. The sad part was that some lowlife botnetters scammed on the popularity of our utils and spread virus laden versions out there. So maybe someone is trying to cash in on XFlax's great work. If that is the case here, it would be important to spread the word to only acquire ModMii from XFlax's link only; kinda like HackMii does.

Has anybody got a legit virus report from a third party downloaded ModMii?

The only thing we could do in the end is just keep the reps pure by word of mouth. Those who were part of the hobby knew better and those who weren't, well, beep what they think.

-[]D

pjmorie

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there, I've been trying to get a particular original game disc to work on a softmod Wii on version 3.2E and have been told (on anther thread) that it's a very old softmod and the system menu needs updating to 4.1E using ModMii. The trouble is when I try and run the ModMii installer program (v2.6) downlaoded from the front page I keep getting an error message saying that the ModMii download has failed and to check your firewall settings. I have given the program full access rights with my McAfee virus software but it makes no difference.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pjmorie said:
Hi there, I've been trying to get a particular original game disc to work on a softmod Wii on version 3.2E and have been told (on anther thread) that it's a very old softmod and the system menu needs updating to 4.1E using ModMii. The trouble is when I try and run the ModMii installer program (v2.6) downlaoded from the front page I keep getting an error message saying that the ModMii download has failed and to check your firewall settings. I have given the program full access rights with my McAfee virus software but it makes no difference.
One, I recommend you replace McAfee with a better solution. Trust me when I say you are paying for bloatware and a whole lotta nothin. I just helped someone who's computer was booting slowly and such. I removed his McAfee and replaced it with 3 different programs that did the same thing, and his computer started working very fast, and it also fixed another problem he forgot to mention to me.
Second, make sure you are downloading it from the proper place. I just checked and it says it's on googlecode.com. And if all else fails, I can pm you the link to the file on that site, if I can't link it on here.

pjmorie

Trophies
XP
Country
Dimensional said:
pjmorie said:
One, I recommend you replace McAfee with a better solution. Trust me when I say you are paying for bloatware and a whole lotta nothin. I just helped someone who's computer was booting slowly and such. I removed his McAfee and replaced it with 3 different programs that did the same thing, and his computer started working very fast, and it also fixed another problem he forgot to mention to me.
Second, make sure you are downloading it from the proper place. I just checked and it says it's on googlecode.com. And if all else fails, I can pm you the link to the file on that site, if I can't link it on here.

I'm using the download link from the front page ( http://code.google.com/p/modmii/downloads/detail?name=ModMii Installer.exe ) and it does look to be the correct link. It downloads the installer program but when I run it (selected d,d then Y) I then get the error. As mentioned I have given it full rights with McAfee and my Microsoft Windows (using Vista) firewall is also turned off.
I download a version of ModMii from this thread about 7 months ago and it worked OK so I don't know what's stopping it this time.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pjmorie said:
Dimensional said:
pjmorie said:

I'm using the download link from the front page ( http://code.google.com/p/modmii/downloads/detail?name=ModMii Installer.exe ) and it does look to be the correct link. It downloads the installer program but when I run it (selected d,d then Y) I then get the error. As mentioned I have given it full rights with McAfee and my Microsoft Windows (using Vista) firewall is also turned off.
I download a version of ModMii from this thread about 7 months ago and it worked OK so I don't know what's stopping it this time.
Rule of thumb, NEVER turn off your firewall. And as I said, replace your McAfee. All it is doing is slowing down your PC and not doing anything but pretending to protect you. Use Microsoft Security Essentials for your virus scan, Comodo Internet Security for your Firewall, and Spybot Search & Destroy to provide extra defense from malware by 'immunizing' your computer. You have those three free programs, and you will have a faster computer and more protection than McAfee can give you.
And don't download the installer. Download the zip file, ModMii4.6.1.zip, and extract it to where your program is installed to.

pjmorie

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Dimensional, that link looks to have worked OK, the last time I downloaded ModMii ( just to have a look at it) I didn't have to download the installer program, the link went straight to the actual program. Now all I have to do is try and soft mod my first Wii. The Wii belongs to my sister in law, and was already soft-mod'd when she got it along with and exteranl HD of 'backups' second hand. She recently bought a new fitness disc for the Wii and it won't load as it's on sucj old system software.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have some questions about the code

1) why create and delete some of the files each time?
2) goto? really? why? doesn’t that make maintenance a nightmare?
3) why keep different files for the languages? doesn't that make maintenance even more complicated?

ScoobyDoo3rd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, there are other guides out that explains it all without virus problems, seems modmii is still detecting problems. My suggestion is to go here http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-g...od-any-wii.html and forget about Modmii until he is over his honeymoon, and can get back to real life. It also seems that CFG is dead (nothing new from them for awhile). Nothing happening there(CFG) either. After saying all of that, I do respect the programers and createors for Modmii and CFG Awesome stuff, we all wouldn't be here today without you! Thanks!

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ScoobyDoo3rd said:
Hey, there are other guides out that explains it all without virus problems, seems modmii is still detecting problems. My suggestion is to go here http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-g...od-any-wii.html and forget about Modmii until he is over his honeymoon, and can get back to real life. It also seems that CFG is dead (nothing new from them for awhile). Nothing happening there(CFG) either. After saying all of that, I do respect the programers and createors for Modmii and CFG Awesome stuff, we all wouldn't be here today without you! Thanks!

lol , where is happy end ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: oh ye i made a post i did forget they had an account i prob shouldve tagged them in the post tbh