Hacking Beginner's guide: launch hacks, game backups and homebrews on WiiU & vWii

• Thread starter xem
  • Start date
  • Views 468,420
  • Replies 290
  • Likes 15

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I added a note for 5.4.0 in the first post.
this way users already on 5.4.0 will now it's not desperate. others who want online can choose to update or stay on 5.3.2

Reactions: xem

Skizzlo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5.1.2 will probably never be fixed, even though our 5.3.2 bug does support it. All versions from 5.1.1 to 5.3.1 are in the gray area of "technically supported, but we don't care enough to implement it". Just stick with 5.3.2 or 5.4.0.

Thanks for the help. Will have to get Mario 10 then just to be safe. I never cared about Nintendo's online play. Well then I will up date to 5.3.2 at a later time since there is a game for that. Thanks again. :)

Last edited by Skizzlo,

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then that will free the kernel 5.4.0 or 5.3.2!!!???? Pleeeease tell me a date
May 27th 2015. That's a date.

Honestly though, why not just read through the last few pages and see what's already been said? There is no set date.

Last edited by frogboy,

Y2bear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys

I'm not sure if I'm writing in the right post... but I hope so

I have few things to clarify before modding my wii u vWii...

1.I'm aware of using SD card for the initial steps, but for loading the games can i use for example any 64 Gb flash pen drive or its a must to use external HDD

2.Any preference to use SSB or Batman lego

3. What is about not loading ISO games and only cISO. All I know iso is wii games images. So is it ok to use both extensions

4. what is max flash pen or hdd capacity that can be used

Thanks

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys
I'm not sure if I'm writing in the right post... but I hope so
I have few things to clarify before modding my wii u vWii...
1.I'm aware of using SD card for the initial steps, but for loading the games can i use for example any 64 Gb flash pen drive or its a must to use external HDD
2.Any preference to use SSB or Batman lego
3. What is about not loading ISO games and only cISO. All I know iso is wii games images. So is it ok to use both extensions
4. what is max flash pen or hdd capacity that can be used
Thanks
Nah, thumb drives work too, just gotta make sure it's formatted right and it has enough power (only really matters for HDDs).
Nope, just whichever's easier to get, it's all the same thing.
cIOS, not cISO, just a custom IOS that the Wii uses to handle running whatever programs. AFAIK, you need a cIOS to be able to load ISOs, but I haven't really done that ever so I wouldn't know. There are plenty of guides that I've found, though.
Not sure, I think I've gotten my Terabyte hard drive to work with a Y cable before.
SIDE NOTE: READ THE OTHER STICKIES AND BACK UP YOUR NAND
If you fuck something up when installing cIOSes, you wanna have a backup so you have files to restore.

Y2bear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nah, thumb drives work too, just gotta make sure it's formatted right and it has enough power (only really matters for HDDs).
Nope, just whichever's easier to get, it's all the same thing.
cIOS, not cISO, just a custom IOS that the Wii uses to handle running whatever programs. AFAIK, you need a cIOS to be able to load ISOs, but I haven't really done that ever so I wouldn't know. There are plenty of guides that I've found, though.
Not sure, I think I've gotten my Terabyte hard drive to work with a Y cable before.
SIDE NOTE: READ THE OTHER STICKIES AND BACK UP YOUR NAND
If you fuck something up when installing cIOSes, you wanna have a backup so you have files to restore.
Thanks a lot
I'll try my best in following posted guides n will come back with questions if any

Appreciated bro

xem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
PS: cISO stands for compressed iso and work well too afaik. Though, I advise you to favorize the wbfs format for games backups. There are many easy-to-use backup converters.

Yanda

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't connection Online now.
I could connection until yesterday.(5.4.0J use DNS)
Now, I was requested update as I login to NNID.
So I can't play online SSB4 & Splatoon.
Do you already comfirmed this problem?
Help me.:wacko:

error code : 102-2511
FW5.4.0.J
I use DNS to block update.

neilymax

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't connection Online now.
I could connection until yesterday.(5.4.0J use DNS)
Now, I was requested update as I login to NNID.
So I can't play online SSB4 & Splatoon.
Do you already comfirmed this problem?
Help me.:wacko:

error code : 102-2511
FW5.4.0.J
I use DNS to block update.

You can't go online now with 5.4 due to the idiot Rymanrocks462 using the exploit to cheat in MK8 online:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkY151V7A

Onion_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
5.1.2 will probably never be fixed, even though our 5.3.2 bug does support it. All versions from 5.1.1 to 5.3.1 are in the gray area of "technically supported, but we don't care enough to implement it". Just stick with 5.3.2 or 5.4.0.

What exactly would be need to implement these? Is it finding the memory offsets? And if so, for what parts?

Jace100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I tried searching around for an answer but couldn't find anything solid:

Is there work being done a 5.5.0 exploit? I bought a used system at a CEX and the were kind enough to update it to the most recent firmware for me...

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I tried searching around for an answer but couldn't find anything solid:

Is there work being done a 5.5.0 exploit? I bought a used system at a CEX and the were kind enough to update it to the most recent firmware for me...
Yes, but DO NOT update it any further, as there is no guarantee that 5.6/5.5.1 (whichever it will be) will still be vulnerable

Reactions: Jace100

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...