Hacking Beginner's guide: launch hacks, game backups and homebrews on WiiU & vWii

• Thread starter xem
  • Start date
  • Views 468,046
  • Replies 290
  • Likes 15

xem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
WHOA WHOA WHOA..... hold the phone, so your telling me that if your not on this vip list i never heard, you can't get the hack. WHAT KIND OF IDOIT THOUGHT OF THAT, why is there no other way to get the exploit. why not just release the damn exploit for everyone to enjoy????? there will be a REAL release soon right?????
I was only joking you know, it wasn't serious I was just messing around :P I like the comment though, it was quite funny/cool anyway!

Reactions: Techfilmz

Moi2707

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry if this has been explained before, but I haven't found the answer to my question.
So, here it is :

If I want to hack the vWii (so not the Wii U itself), could this bring any problems with a future update of the Wii U ?
In other words, do I have to block updates to enjoy a custom vWii ?
(This would potentially mean having to choose between playing recent games and enjoying the custom vWii)

Thanks a lot !

Techfilmz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry if this has been explained before, but I haven't found the answer to my question.
So, here it is :

If I want to hack the vWii (so not the Wii U itself), could this bring any problems with a future update of the Wii U ?
In other words, do I have to block updates to enjoy a custom vWii ?
(This would potentially mean having to choose between playing recent games and enjoying the custom vWii)

Thanks a lot !
i've had the virtual wii mode hacked every since the wii u came out and no, there are no problems at at updating my wii u to the newest version so don't worry

phatmike128

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I want to softmod my vWii, and eventually transfer content from my Wii using the transfer tool, but I don't have access to my Wii for a couple of weeks.

Will it be safe to softmod vWii now and run the Wii to WiiU transfer tool later? I will be using it to transfer saves, purchased eshop VC games and whatever else the transfer tool can do.

I just want to know if it will be safe, or will I need to reinstall the softmod again after the transfer, because in that case I will wait and do the transfer first before doing the softmod.

Morien

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Quick beginner question:
Other than only requiring the one console, is there any benefit to softmodding the vWii over the Wii? Is the picture quality particularly better? Higher resolution (does Homebrew output at 1080p?)
Considering softmodding my vWii, but won't bother if there isn't much point as I have a softmodded Wii hooked up, and I'd need to go to the effort of tracking down a supported game.

Thanks

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick beginner question:
Other than only requiring the one console, is there any benefit to softmodding the vWii over the Wii? Is the picture quality particularly better? Higher resolution (does Homebrew output at 1080p?)
Considering softmodding my vWii, but won't bother if there isn't much point as I have a softmodded Wii hooked up, and I'd need to go to the effort of tracking down a supported game.

Thanks
Nope, everything's still outputted at 480p, only now the Wii U will upscale it (though I wouldn't know how to judge the quality)

Zerosashes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I'm sorry if this has been answered but I have had some trouble finding it if so.

I have a Wii U that was previously hacked with vWii, homebrew, and I have a slew of old games and emulators. Since the 5.4.0 update came out, I haven't been able to play my (purchased) Hyrule Warriors Zelda game, because it forces me to update my software to even load the game. I haven't done it, but here are my questions: I get the gist that we shouldn't update the Wii normally, but can this be done manually so I can play my WiiU? If I do update, what would happen? When we will be able to update, if ever?

Thank you all for your help :)

Last edited by Zerosashes,

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I'm sorry if this has been answered but I have had some trouble finding it if so.

I have a Wii U that was previous hacked with vWii, homebrew, and I have a slew of old games and emulators. Since the 5.4.0 update came out, I haven't been able to play my (purchased) Hyrule Warriors Zelda game, because it forces me to update my software to even load the game. I haven't done it, but here are my questions: I get the gist that we shouldn't update the Wii normally, but can this be done manually so I can play my WiiU? If I do update, what would happen?

Thank you all for your help :)
Well if you block the 5 URLs in the first post with your preferred method it'll try to connect to the server and then fail and you can start the game on a lower firmware.

Zerosashes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you block the 5 URLs in the first post with your preferred method it'll try to connect to the server and then fail and you can start the game on a lower firmware.

Thank you, thank you! I tried method 2 and it worked perfectly. So once the latest software 5.4.0 is patched, does that mean it's safe to remove the restrictions so I can access eShop and the like? (and would that require some manual update of homebrew?) Or is that off limits indefinitely?

Thanks again for your quick reply :)

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, thank you! I tried method 2 and it worked perfectly. So once the latest software 5.4.0 is patched, does that mean it's safe to remove the restrictions so I can access eShop and the like? (and would that require some manual update of homebrew?) Or is that off limits indefinitely?

Thanks again for your quick reply :)
Um yeah just need a Webkit bug/exploit on 5.4.0 and kernel should work unchanged, so you should be good then.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, everything's still outputted at 480p, only now the Wii U will upscale it (though I wouldn't know how to judge the quality)
Note that the scaler inside the Wii U is not great, so if you have a decent TV with a good scaler, youj might get a better picture by letting your TV scale rather than the Wii U. This has resulted in some people saying that playing Wii games on their Wii U looks worse than playing the same games on a real Wii on the same TV.

Unfortunately, the only way to get the Wii U to output vWii at 480p is to set the setting in the Wii U settings, which affects Wii U games too. If you regularly switch between Wii U and vWii and are affected by the scaler issue, you would have to keep changing the output setting, which is annoying. It would be great if Nintendo could allow different settings for vWii and Wii U modes, but they don't.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Note that the scaler inside the Wii U is not great, so if you have a decent TV with a good scaler, youj might get a better picture by letting your TV scale rather than the Wii U. This has resulted in some people saying that playing Wii games on their Wii U looks worse than playing the same games on a real Wii on the same TV.

Unfortunately, the only way to get the Wii U to output vWii at 480p is to set the setting in the Wii U settings, which affects Wii U games too. If you regularly switch between Wii U and vWii and are affected by the scaler issue, you would have to keep changing the output setting, which is annoying. It would be great if Nintendo could allow different settings for vWii and Wii U modes, but they don't.
Can you use the Settings Editor GUI homebrew in vWii, or does that screw things up?

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you use the Settings Editor GUI homebrew in vWii, or does that screw things up?
I don't know, but as far as I know, no one has found a way to have a different screen resolution output in vWii and Wii U games, other than manually changing it all the time. Maybe if/when the Wii U is hacked further...

Ethan2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
one of these Wii games:

• LEGO Batman
  • Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
  • LEGO Indiana Jones
  • LEGO Star Wars
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Wheelie Breakers
this games shouild by physical games disc or I can download from eshop to exploit ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end