Hacking Beginner's guide: launch hacks, game backups and homebrews on WiiU & vWii

• Thread starter xem
  • Start date
  • Views 468,048
  • Replies 290
  • Likes 15

saito1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to play Wii games without the vWii?
As far as I heard it's possible to play Wii games on WiiU from the eShop, or something like that. Is it possible to run backup version from that kind of games yet? (If I heard right, that way you don't need WiiMote to play, while vWii needs it afaik).

Havir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask nonetheless. I interested in hacking my WiiU, but I'm curious if doing so will make it so that I can't use online Nintendo features (i.e. play SSB online). I know Nintendo system updates would be blocked, but not sure if that would interfere with using online services or not.

Thanks.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask nonetheless. I interested in hacking my WiiU, but I'm curious if doing so will make it so that I can't use online Nintendo features (i.e. play SSB online). I know Nintendo system updates would be blocked, but not sure if that would interfere with using online services or not.

Thanks.
None of the current Wii U exploits are permanent, so no (unless you're using them to cheat online, then you will probably never see your NNID ever again)

Havir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of the current Wii U exploits are permanent, so no (unless you're using them to cheat online, then you will probably never see your NNID ever again)

TotalInsanity4 thank you for response. I'm thinking more about when a permanent stable release comes out (like Hykem's 5.5 iosu Exploit) and I use that on my system. I'm assuming that will block access to the Nintendo network-- and online smash. Does that sound right?

I have no interest in cheating so that isn't an issue.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TotalInsanity4 thank you for response. I'm thinking more about when a permanent stable release comes out (like Hykem's 5.5 iosu Exploit) and I use that on my system. I'm assuming that will block access to the Nintendo network-- and online smash. Does that sound right?

I have no interest in cheating so that isn't an issue.
Not necessarily, we actually have no idea what Nintendo will do in response to permamodding. It wouldn't hurt to be safe and just stay offline until an emuNAND option came about once you're modded, though

iOS ID

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize if this question has already been answered but, could someone please confirm if it is safe to hack the vWii to play Wii game backups, WiiWare titles and homebrews on the new 5.5.1 firmware? I would love to load Homebrew on my new Wii U, but I don't want to brick it if it's not compatible. I have Lego Indiana Jones, and I'm planing on using the tutorial on this site. I just need confirmation.

Thank you. :)

Ratatapa

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IS there a way to 'hack' the WII side (to play wii games) While using the same external hard drive to play my legit wiiu games?

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Done. Thanks. If I wrote something wrong or incomplete, please let me know. :)
This next part is wrong.

IOSU is being developed for firmwares 5.3.2 to 5.5.1. In the meantime, "stay on whichever firmware
Hykem's IOSU exploit will work on every Wii U firmware ever created up until 5.5.1. Also, "stay on whichever firmware" could be edited to say this:

"Stay on 5.3.2 if you want to hack. Stay on 5.5.1 if you want to play online but you have to wait for Hykem to release his exploit."

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I apologize if this question has already been answered but, could someone please confirm if it is safe to hack the vWii to play Wii game backups, WiiWare titles and homebrews on the new 5.5.1 firmware? I would love to load Homebrew on my new Wii U, but I don't want to brick it if it's not compatible. I have Lego Indiana Jones, and I'm planing on using the tutorial on this site. I just need confirmation.

Thank you. :)
No, it is not yet possible, because we do not yet have neither the IOSU exploit (although Hykem's going all in now that he's back) nor any of Marionumber1's kernel exploits (he has multiple).

You will have to wait it out it you're on 5.5.1.

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Mostly correct, but it needs the browser to launch it, so the requirement is actually FW 2.0.0-5.5.1
Yes, that's right, and I would also like to add that I was wrong in my previous post and vWii Modding is possible, but to a limited degree. Some things of course will not work on 5.5, but you should run HBC just fine, along with backups. WiiWare games I'm not too sure about, for more info, ask on the "The Do's and Don't's of vWii Modding" thread.

Last edited by lonemoonHD,

pelo88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There actually may be a way. If you partition one large hard drive into 2 partitions then use a partition/drive hider on the partition you wanna use with vWii then when the Wii U sees the drive it should only see the non-hidden partition (and format it, etc etc). I'd make the partitions 2 very different sizes so you know which one is which at a glance. Anyway, the issue is folks aren't re-writing Wii homebrew to support hidden partitions but the important ones for most folks (the USB loaders) do support it. You use a Windows program to hide and unhide the partition (once hidden Windows won't see it either).
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ustealth-wii-u-format-disk-nag-workaround.352786/

So same physical drive but 2 partitions should work but no, 1 drive with 1 partition will never work.

Reactions: lonemoonHD

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There actually may be a way. If you partition one large hard drive into 2 partitions then use a partition/drive hider on the partition you wanna use with vWii then when the Wii U sees the drive it should only see the non-hidden partition (and format it, etc etc). I'd make the partitions 2 very different sizes so you know which one is which at a glance. Anyway, the issue is folks aren't re-writing Wii homebrew to support hidden partitions but the important ones for most folks (the USB loaders) do support it. You use a Windows program to hide and unhide the partition (once hidden Windows won't see it either).
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ustealth-wii-u-format-disk-nag-workaround.352786/

So same physical drive but 2 partitions should work but no, 1 drive with 1 partition will never work.
Nope, the Wii U formatting process completely wipes the partition table, not just the partition

iOS ID

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that's right, and I would also like to add that I was wrong in my previous post and vWii Modding is possible, but to a limited degree. Some things of course will not work on 5.5, but you should run HBC just fine, along with backups. WiiWare games I'm not too sure about, for more info, ask on the "The Do's and Don't's of vWii Modding" thread.

So, if I want to play Wii backups and GameCube games then I can safely hack the vWii side of 5.5.1 without bricking my new Wii U. Correct?! It's safe to install the Homebrew channel and install d2x-v10-betar53-alt-vWii with the save game exploit?

Last edited by iOS ID,

iOS ID

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, if I want to play Wii backups and GameCube games then I can safely hack the vWii side of 5.5.1 without bricking my new Wii U. Correct?! It's safe to install the Homebrew channel and install d2x-v10-betar53-alt-vWii with the save game exploit?

I answered my own question by successfully modding the vWii side of my 5.5.1 Wii U. Using WiiFlow to play my Wii game backups and Nintendont to play my GameCube games. :toot::yaywii::toot:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM