Tutorial Beginner's Guide – How to setup your 3DS for gbatemp

What do you want to be added the most?

• Give us more CFWs to choose from when booting

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • Improve the readme.txt and turn it into an awesome readme.html

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Add a working ninjhax 1.1b exploit that will launch old HBL & will be launched by using Cubic Ninja

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Make a guide for 9.3.0+ users (HBL only)

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Make a video of this

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Something else... (Please post suggestions and ideas)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IcedTea_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rxTools doesnt seem to work with that version either zzzz .... I either get NATIVE_FIRM: 4 or -1 errors depending on if it has 'orig' in it or not...
OPs still crashes me haha...

I'm gonna try see if i can get into Cakes.

Tahaha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice, that could be it. Could explain why reinand would not load for me either. But isn't reinand made for N3DS? Weird.

Can you load sysnand(pastacfw) through CBM? I can't, and that should not have anything to do with firmware.bin.

Edit: I haven't tried cakes yet. Let me know. Have you tried a really old version of rxtools? Like from August maybe?

Edit 2: Also, in another thread today someone said that CBM version b07 wasn't working well for them on n3ds 9.0. But b02 worked perfectly. Dunno which one is in the OP tutorial...

Last edited by Tahaha,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Edit: I haven't tried cakes yet. Let me know. Have you tried a really old version of rxtools? Like from August maybe?

Edit 2: Also, in another thread today someone said that CBM version b07 wasn't working well for them on n3ds 9.0. But b02 worked perfectly. Dunno which one is in the OP tutorial...
The old versions of rxtools were for o3ds only - stick to the last nightly build, as it's only been the recent nightlies that have supported n3ds.

Reactions: IcedTea_

AileenLumina

Python main, software engineer and API designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't really know why it's not working properly for you. I did the steps described in my tutorial on my 9.0.0-20E n3DS and used the exact same files, and it worked like a charm from the first time. Not sure, but did you try holding any button after choosing rxTools in the boot manager? (Just in case)

IcedTea_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aaaaand Cakes has the same problem, crashes when attempting to launch emuNAND.

So maybe it could be an issue with the way OP made us create the emuNAND partition :/

When i have time today I'll try the emuNAND unlinking portion of ChrisN8's guide while still using OPs files (since he says they work for him)

--- I Cant get into PastaCFW either... holding a button while booting rxTools doesnt help.

Reactions: AileenLumina

Tahaha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I did it. Hold L while booting rxtools from CBM. You have to time it right JUST as the rxtools splash is appearing. Choose rxmode then emunand, AND HOLD L AGAIN as you load emunand. Done.

You might have to hold a different button. L is the button I set for themehax. It's something to do with blocking the machine from trying to load CBM or HBL repeatedly, getting in the way of rxtools.

Tahaha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just finished the whole tutorial. Everything working now. The L button was the key. What a headache.

Maybe it's worth adding some steps to create "S-Y-S" and "E-M-U" sign folders on the home menu pages of each, for easy recognition.

Reactions: AileenLumina

LineoftheDead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just now made an account to admit i'm a dick, I figured this out yesterday mid-afternoon and I just came to apologize and discuss my results

I think I read in instructions that I would have to hold L to LOAD into the loader
but its opposite

I'm sorry.... I've had my 3ds for a while now just collecting dust. I had the week off and JUST picked up on this toolkit (by the way, THANK YOU)

It's stupid funny, I mean I had issues with almost every step but I was able to solve my issues by researching source pages (THANK YOU AGAIN FOR REFERENCES)

=========================================
READ THIS IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH RXTOOLS
=========================================
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

1.) When selecting emuNAND via RxTools on loader, tap L once immediately when the screen turns black (dont wait for the splash screen)
2.) Once inside RxTools and wanting to boot into emuNAND, Immediately hold L after pressing Y

ehhhh so this is my first attempt at modding a 3ds and id have to say im pretty happy :)

one thing that had me stuck was the QR code for the box ninja game - it would freeze my 3ds every time ((so I went to the ninja webpage and built a new QR code, then I researched spider exploits for the web browser, found out I needed to go to a webpage for gateway to load))

I love deductive reasoning skills :PPP

so far all ive learned is how to backup my games to the 3ds ~ 5 hours active time to get to this point (factoring in TS/Research time)

IcedTea_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty, so I got mine to boot into rxTools too. For some reason, if i tap L a few times after selecting rx from CBL it goes straight to emuNAND :D (I installed themehax v1.3 as per Tahaha's suggestion).

I just set my sysNAND theme to RED and emuNAND to whatever you like -- so you can tell the difference that way?

Those who are looking at the thread, just follow the instructions in the readme... when you get to 3.1.7 press some buttons when booting. Themehax v1.3 lets you choose which button during install...

It will take some trial and error with a few (many) hard resets, just keep trying different things!

Good luck : )

Last edited by IcedTea_,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your sysnand theme should always be white. If you choose a different theme it will uninstall the themehax hack. Installing themehax will always set your theme back to the default white one, no matter what you had it on prior to installing it.
If (like me, and most others using themehax/CBM) you're autobooting to emunand, you will barely use sysnand so it isn't a problem that it doesn't have a theme.
...just saying in case you find your autoboot not working after setting your sysnand theme to red.

edit

I've added some extra info to my post on the first page of this thread that may come in handy.

Last edited by duwen,
Reactions: IcedTea_

noahhaon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after I have done all of this, can somebody explain to me how I will be using my 3ds from now on? Because now if I go to my browser it opens HBL, but where do i open emunand? And do I have to patch with pasta everytime I use my 3ds? What it a typical use case for putting new cia's on the 3ds and using them

Last edited by noahhaon,

IcedTea_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me:
Boot into CBM (holding L)
Select RxTools (hold L) <-- this is your emuNAND CFW.
Then it's booted into emuNAND, straight after I'm in I run the Free Multi Patcher once, just because...
Play my games...

If you're in emuNAND you don't need to Pasta. You shouldn't really need to use sysNAND anymore...

To install CIAs just run FBI which should be on your emuNAND home screen (if you followed the guide). So throw some CIAs on your SDCard, open FBI, install it, unwrap it, play! Easy peasy. You can delete the CIA files once they're installed.

For homebrew just throw it in the 3ds folder, there is a great homebrew guide with howto's on here.

My only questions are:
- is it possible to get back into the GATEWAY menu through CubicNinja, whenever i try i just crash.
- OP says not to update emuNAND to 9.5 - but there is a guide on here for new3Ds outlining the upgrade to 9.5 emuNAND, is it okay to use this?

Last edited by IcedTea_,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid...